Fixed my microwave/convection oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed my microwave/convection oven

I was having trouble with my microwave the past couple days. Naturally it worked fine when the wife would use it and I kept getting the " You must be pressing the wrong buttons " and " You're not closing the door right " etc. This evening I was trying to warm my microwave cheeseburger and I kept trying to cook for 1 minute and it would work for a minute and then not work the next couple of tries . The wife was wanting to warm her hot chocolate so I stopped in the middle of heating my sandwich to let her use it and show her how it didn't work. Naturally it worked for her again and after a few tries I was able to cook my sandwich. I then try to heat up my coffee and it wouldn't work. I had my wife come in and try and finally it didn't work for her.

So, I pull it out of the cabinet and tear it down to the point of checking the components. I know about as much about microwave repair as I do about computer repair but this is an expensive unit being a convection/microwave so I had to at least try. Looking around I didn't notice anything that looked like it came loose concentrating on the numerous safety switches in relation to the door operation.

I have scrapped out my share of these things and noticed something didn't look right where 2 wires went into a switch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (7).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	144114

That orange wire connector was bent down on top of that red wire connector . This pic I took after I pulled the orange wire connector up. It was burnt into the red wire connector and was hard to see that burnt spot before I pulled it up. It seems like there is no way that orange connector could get pushed into the shielded connector of the red wire. I think it ( orange) must have been bent down at the factory and red connector pushed on letting orange wire penetrate the red connector to a certain degree. It took 7 years to fail . After pulling orange wire connector up I unplugged red connector and turned it 180 degrees and pushed it back on . If I were working on this for someone else I would have replaced red connector but I'm a cheapskate and this will work just fine.

Name:	thumbnail (6).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	144115

Installed back in cabinet -

Name:	thumbnail (8).jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	144116

Looks like it was going to cost about $ 1100.00 to replace with same model.

Electrolux Icon E30MO65GSS Designer 1.5 Cu. ft. Stainless Steel Built-in Microwave

The new built-in microwave oven from Electrolux ICON features convection cooking, sensor cooking and automatic mix cooking. In convection cooking, hot air is circulated ...

September 2009 · Electrolux · 1.5 cubic feet · 900 watts · Convection · Built-in
    View product details
    $1,099.00$1,099.00.
    +$0.00 est. tax
    Manny's TV & Appliances
    $44.99 delivery

$1,099.00$1,099.00.
    +$72.53 est. tax
    Queen Appliance
    Free delivery

Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post
    I was having trouble with my microwave the past couple days. Naturally it worked fine when the wife would use it and I kept getting the " You must be pressing the wrong buttons " and " You're not closing the door right " etc. This evening I was trying to warm my microwave cheeseburger and I kept trying to cook for 1 minute and it would work for a minute and then not work the next couple of tries . The wife was wanting to warm her hot chocolate so I stopped in the middle of heating my sandwich to let her use it and show her how it didn't work. Naturally it worked for her again and after a few tries I was able to cook my sandwich. I then try to heat up my coffee and it wouldn't work. I had my wife come in and try and finally it didn't work for her.

So, I pull it out of the cabinet and tear it down to the point of checking the components. I know about as much about microwave repair as I do about computer repair but this is an expensive unit being a convection/microwave so I had to at least try. Looking around I didn't notice anything that looked like it came loose concentrating on the numerous safety switches in relation to the door operation.

I have scrapped out my share of these things and noticed something didn't look right where 2 wires went into a switch.

Name:	thumbnail (7).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	144114

That orange wire connector was bent down on top of that red wire connector . This pic I took after I pulled the orange wire connector up. It was burnt into the red wire connector and was hard to see that burnt spot before I pulled it up. It seems like there is no way that orange connector could get pushed into the shielded connector of the red wire. I think it ( orange) must have been bent down at the factory and red connector pushed on letting orange wire penetrate the red connector to a certain degree. It took 7 years to fail . After pulling orange wire connector up I unplugged red connector and turned it 180 degrees and pushed it back on . If I were working on this for someone else I would have replaced red connector but I'm a cheapskate and this will work just fine.

Name:	thumbnail (6).jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	144115

Installed back in cabinet -

Name:	thumbnail (8).jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	144116

Looks like it was going to cost about $ 1100.00 to replace with same model.

Electrolux Icon E30MO65GSS Designer 1.5 Cu. ft. Stainless Steel Built-in Microwave

The new built-in microwave oven from Electrolux ICON features convection cooking, sensor cooking and automatic mix cooking. In convection cooking, hot air is circulated ...

September 2009 · Electrolux · 1.5 cubic feet · 900 watts · Convection · Built-in
    View product details
    $1,099.00$1,099.00.
    +$0.00 est. tax
    Manny's TV & Appliances
    $44.99 delivery

$1,099.00$1,099.00.
    +$72.53 est. tax
    Queen Appliance
    Free delivery
    Atta boy Kemp.
    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post

Atta boy Kemp.
      I kinda feel lucky to have seen it because that burnt spot didn't hardly show till I pulled wires apart. Wife thinks I'm a genius now 😁

Comment

Doesn’t the slogan go “nothing sux like Electrolux.”
        2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

Feels good don't it?
          I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
          Amesbury, MA
          1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
          How can I help you?

Comment

I kinda feel lucky to have seen it because that burnt spot didn't hardly show till I pulled wires apart. Wife thinks I'm a genius now 😁
            Savor that moment! It won’t last long! LOL
            95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
            Seaford, De
            Curtis

Comment

Yeah, I get the same thing until I tell her that something I tried to fix was beyond my skill level or I don't have the proper repair tools and it's back to average.

Comment

I don't know where you live but if you ever find yourself in my part of the world I'm taking you out to eat, between dollar store meat and microwave burgers, you'll feel like a king.
                This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

One aww shit….😀

Comment

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
                    I don't know where you live but if you ever find yourself in my part of the world I'm taking you out to eat, between dollar store meat and microwave burgers, you'll feel like a king.
                    Hint and you shall receive . I live in Farmington Mo. I do go out to eat occasionally , My favorite place is Colton 's Steak House and I usually get the 10 ounce chopped sirloin ( sauteed with onions and green peppers and topped with onion tanglers ) because I like the flavor that seems to get all the way through. Comes with house salad and fries plus rolls and a bag of peanuts to take home.
                    8.99 on the lunch menu without the salad and 11.99 for dinner with the salad.

Next best choice is the China Buffet which needs no explanation.

As for the microwave burgers - my wife bought me a box of White Castle with cheese which were pretty good and tasted just like the real ones. I told her I was ready for something a little different so just get me some regular ( and I use that term loosely ) cheeseburgers . Those aren't bad as long as you just heat and eat without adding anything to them trying to make them more like the real thing. But....... she goes and buys the big double cheeseburgers with bacon that take forever to heat up and the bacon tastes nothing like bacon. If you want good bacon you have the buy the " Ends , pieces and irregular slices "

I get your point though and something different is great . I'm not much on paying for " atmosphere " though because I got spoiled on atmosphere years ago cooking fatty pork steaks on charcoal in the backyard checking out our female friends in those little short shorts and the cute little toes. 😁

Comment

Hint and you shall receive . I live in Farmington Mo. I do go out to eat occasionally , My favorite place is Colton 's Steak House and I usually get the 10 ounce chopped sirloin ( sauteed with onions and green peppers and topped with onion tanglers ) because I like the flavor that seems to get all the way through. Comes with house salad and fries plus rolls and a bag of peanuts to take home.
                      8.99 on the lunch menu without the salad and 11.99 for dinner with the salad.

Next best choice is the China Buffet which needs no explanation.

As for the microwave burgers - my wife bought me a box of White Castle with cheese which were pretty good and tasted just like the real ones. I told her I was ready for something a little different so just get me some regular ( and I use that term loosely ) cheeseburgers . Those aren't bad as long as you just heat and eat without adding anything to them trying to make them more like the real thing. But....... she goes and buys the big double cheeseburgers with bacon that take forever to heat up and the bacon tastes nothing like bacon. If you want good bacon you have the buy the " Ends , pieces and irregular slices "

I get your point though and something different is great . I'm not much on paying for " atmosphere " though because I got spoiled on atmosphere years ago cooking fatty pork steaks on charcoal in the backyard checking out our female friends in those little short shorts and the cute little toes. 😁
                      My sides are splitting laughing with you. Nothing wrong with a White Castle now and then, however fresh is always best and the atmosphere of a white castle itself adds to the flavor. China Buffet, well my god, please don't, I'm dying here, that's a quantity over quality all day long place.

IDK a Coltons but going by the price and chopped doesn't sound like fine dining or a good steak to me. Nothing wrong being no a budget, but a really good burger on occasion is worth the price tag. I'm in Jersey, if you find yourself here, let me know.
                      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                      You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Dang. That Electrolux has a bunch of room to work in it.
                        My Kitchenaid micro is a pain it the patoot.
                        Good job troubleshooting and fixing it.

Comment

My sides are splitting laughing with you. Nothing wrong with a White Castle now and then, however fresh is always best and the atmosphere of a white castle itself adds to the flavor. China Buffet, well my god, please don't, I'm dying here, that's a quantity over quality all day long place.

IDK a Coltons but going by the price and chopped doesn't sound like fine dining or a good steak to me. Nothing wrong being no a budget, but a really good burger on occasion is worth the price tag. I'm in Jersey, if you find yourself here, let me know.
                          Thanks for the invite . That would be an occasion to have something different and I'm sure high quality.
                          It's not that I'm against " fine dining " as you put it, but I rarely have the opportunity to venture out from the local area. Not that we don't have some more " expensive " places but I'm not sure the price reflects the meal. I've experienced some of their catering and wasn't impressed.

When we work in a little city just south of here we have lunch with Dr. Roberts, a friend of my son. A little mom and pop place that looks like it should have been remodeled 40 years ago. Great homecooked food though . A good 3 or 4 course meal is very good for a change .

I think it is a matter of what people's routines are on a daily basis. I'm in construction and it is usually grab something from the drive-thru for breakfast and lunch . We will go inside for a quick burger at times . My son ,who buys almost everything that his friends do ,orders water because he doesn't want to pay 2 dollars for a soda. I'll buy the soda and will buy whatever they are selling if I go to an event where it is available. Weekends I'm doing something around the house and am usually content to stay put . But, I am a cheapskate to a certain extent, although I tip well if I go out.

But I don't think it would hurt some people to act as though they are a cheapskate, especially some of those that really should be watching how they spend, so others don't have to support them.
                          I could have just ordered another microwave and I can afford one, in part because I am a cheapskate in other areas ,and the reason I didn't was , in part ,because I'm a cheapskate and wasn't going to unless I had to. 🙂

Comment

Thanks for the invite . That would be an occasion to have something different and I'm sure high quality.
                            It's not that I'm against " fine dining " as you put it, but I rarely have the opportunity to venture out from the local area. Not that we don't have some more " expensive " places but I'm not sure the price reflects the meal. I've experienced some of their catering and wasn't impressed.

When we work in a little city just south of here we have lunch with Dr. Roberts, a friend of my son. A little mom and pop place that looks like it should have been remodeled 40 years ago. Great homecooked food though . A good 3 or 4 course meal is very good for a change .

🙂
                            Don't misunderstand me, I can get a great burger at a diner near me, certainly not fine dining, but a damned good burger. That said, we have local places that have been around forever where you can eat a top notch dinner in the $20 price range, the advantage is, the owner has been around so long he owns the building outright and has lower overhead, thus lower costs.

Life is too short to fill up on bad cuts, now if you want to hit some greasy spoons, check out Blvd. drinks in Jersey city, Ruts hut in Clifton and the White manna in jersey city.

HOME | whitemanadiner

Rutt's Hut | Home of the Ripper! (ruttshut.com)

BOULEVARD DRINKS, Jersey City - Photos & Restaurant Reviews - Order Online Food Delivery - Tripadvisor

Comment

Don't misunderstand me, I can get a great burger at a diner near me, certainly not fine dining, but a damned good burger. That said, we have local places that have been around forever where you can eat a top notch dinner in the $20 price range, the advantage is, the owner has been around so long he owns the building outright and has lower overhead, thus lower costs.

Life is too short to fill up on bad cuts, now if you want to hit some greasy spoons, check out Blvd. drinks in Jersey city, Ruts hut in Clifton and the White manna in jersey city.

HOME | whitemanadiner

Rutt's Hut | Home of the Ripper! (ruttshut.com)

BOULEVARD DRINKS, Jersey City - Photos & Restaurant Reviews - Order Online Food Delivery - Tripadvisor
                              We only have a few of what would be called " Mom and Pop " or family owned independent restaurants . Most have been lost to the fast food industry . The ones I am familiar with are better known for daily lunch specials and they are in the 10 dollar range. I wouldn't have to travel too far to some of the restaurants types you are talking about .

I can occasionally walk in the Dolla Gentral and pick up a few things for lunch and enjoy the different variety , maybe as much as I enjoy going to a restaurant. 🙂

Comment

Working...
                              X