Towing capacity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing capacity ?

When we move we may need to rent a u haul trailer, my Kia Cadenza states " we do not recommend towing a trailer".

My wife's Cadillac XT5 does not have the towing package but s AWD, but without the towing package they say max tow is 1,000 lbs.

What is In a towing package, larger brakes? Transmission cooler? With the package its good for 3,500 pounds.

If we rent a trailer it won't be huge but ny guess is with the one we go with it might weigh in at 1,500 lbs.

I doubt we'll have a problem but want your thoughts on if we should go another route.

NJ to FL, 3 day drive, nice and easy.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

All manu are different
    some means just a 5 pin and a receiver hitch
    it could also include different gears, tranny cooler, anti sway etc.

Comment

• DaleH
      DaleH commented
      Editing a comment
      ... add lights

Rent one of their trucks and a car tow dolly. Hang out in the left lane 😀

Comment

FWD unibody vehicles have no structure for mounting a hitch nor adequate springs for towing . Power has nothing to do with it.

Comment

I find it odd because my 84 Chevy Cavalier I had, had a tow rating of 1,000 lbs. Unibody, fwd and all 2.0 l with auto trans.
        This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
        You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Can't imagine what size trailer your gonna tow that will make it worth while.

Part of it is you have to look at the whole vehicle. If your CGVW is 3000 and you put 1500 in the car and the trailer weighs 1000 pounds the trailer only has 500 pounds of cargo capacity

Gm puts a sticker in the door jam with the capacities for the specific vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam9066 View Post
            Can't imagine what size trailer your gonna tow that will make it worth while.

Part of it is you have to look at the whole vehicle. If your CGVW is 3000 and you put 1500 in the car and the trailer weighs 1000 pounds the trailer only has 500 pounds of cargo capacity

Gm puts a sticker in the door jam with the capacities for the specific vehicle.

pffft
            those are just numbers.

Comment

• blaster
              blaster commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like a dodge magnum which are mostly RWD. That may be an R/T AWD. Man just needs to level the hitch and I’m sure that trailer would tow infinitely better.

• jmike
              jmike commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually I believe that’s a Dodge Caliber... a smaller car and known POS

• blaster
              blaster commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t have the best eye in identifying cars. I just think that vehicle is ugly as sin. Even if it was a magnum it would max out around 3500 lbs towing.

Just need a jack with a wheel on it

Comment

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
              I find it odd because my 84 Chevy Cavalier I had, had a tow rating of 1,000 lbs. Unibody, fwd and all 2.0 l with auto trans.
              Fewer lawyers.

Comment

When we moved here I used a U-Haul 6x12 tandem enclosed trailer for stuff I just didn't trust the mover with. Towed it with an Audi SQ5 rated at 4400#. U-Haul said "yeah sure no problem". I've towed all sort of trailers over the years and this was the absolute worst, even without packing anything inside it. Just couldn't balance the tongue properly - rear sway, light front end, all the bad signs, not stable at all. Your XT5 would be similar in terms of wheelbase and rear overhang, etc. but with much less tow capacity.

You might be ok with the single axle 4x8 or 5x9 but they don't carry much at all and they're quite squirrelly due to short wheelbase. Especially going through the hills and mountains, brakes are what matter most.
                Sanibel FL
                Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

Like above, I too used the tandem UHaul to move the last things from Phoenix to Charleston. Pulled it with the wife’s MDX which actually is a decent tow vehicle. AWD, tranny cooler and 5000 lb max capacity.
                  Trouble with that particular trailer is that they’re set up with a lot of tongue weight despite being a tandem. All of them you see on the road are the same way - heavy on the tongue regardless how you load them.

Comment

I just went through this towing issue with the vehicles we have. The Jeep JL tows the 20ft Caravelle ok, the front end gets light under acceleration until speed is reached. And the tongue weight is not that heavy. On the Dodge Durango even though the AWD drivetrain can tow the lighter boat power wise, it's does not have the TOW package which is alot of additional stuff. Trans cooler, oil cooler, larger rad, HD fans, ECU programming and larger brakes.
                    We replaced the Durango with. A Silverado to pull the heavier Angler WA. If an accident were to occur while your pulling a trailer with a non tow vehicle your insurance may not cover you.
                    We pulled a UHaul 6x12 with a 2011 FJ Cruiser with Towing. The trailer was packed with shop tools. The Cruiser did really well, the UHaul trailer was a POS. Which is also something to consider, the condition of what trailer you get.
                    I am with an earlier poster, rent a truck and tow dolly, or rent their truck to pull their trailer. Save your vehicle from unseen damage later on down the road.

Comment

I looked up the price on a 14' u-haul truck from NJ-Fl, $3,200. Whatever doesn't fit in the car(s) I'll mail or sell and replace. I was thinking of keeping some household items like our kitchen aid mixer, small but somewhat expensive, then I figured keep the 2 TV's to save some money, but after tax, a hitch, other little BS charges plus tolls it will be an easy 4K. I can replace all that stuff with new for under that amount and not have the headache.

Thanks for the input from all.

Comment

• jmike
                        jmike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds like people are leaving NJ for points south so rental places hike up prices.

• LFBB
                        LFBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Our right now plan is to buy a much less expensive townhouse or condo that will suit us OK until either prices drop or we can complete a new build to our liking. Once the new build is done we sell the TH/condo and pay off the "forever" home. Spending 3K or more a month on rent is just money lost.

Holy crap! 3200 to rent the truck. A 27 foot Penske didn't cost us that from NC back to NJ in 2018/19.
                      man all's I can say is FJB and the price gouging

Comment

• LFBB
                        LFBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        All our stuff (that we want to bring) would fit in that 14' but like I said, it ain't worth it, personal items will fit in the trunk/backseats, tools will be given a way or sold (that hurts the most), furniture TV's etc will go at fire sale prices when the time comes, anything left goes to the Salvation army.

When we moved to NC after Sandy took out our town here, all of my garage tools, hoists, lifts, stands, cleaners, welders etc etc we're loaded in that 6x12. It was heavy.
                      going back to NJ after 6 years I did the same thing, sold alot of the big tools, presses, hoists, tanks etc. Really sucked to do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X