this is allowed TOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pretty much agnostic, I think?? Wife and kids do not go to church but have tons of faith, and I am glad they do and very proud of them.
    I try to ignore the hard core bible thumpers, but do not understand the hatred and bible bashing by the anti religion crowd.
    I guess haters will be haters and the rest of us will just be getting along just fine no matter what we believe.

Comment

And there you have it. Lots of thoughts and ideas from different areas and from different perspectives. This is the America that I love! Me? Raised Methodist, married a Catholic which my mother had told me at an early age was a no-no. We attend church often but have been shaken by the behavior of some priests and the current pope. I've always believed that one's relationship with God is very personal and sacred. Please do not come to my door and ask me "have you accepted God as your personal savior?" I have come close more than once to showing them a very Godly boot in the backside.

Comment

Well, I love the Lord, but this whole Coronavirus response by SOME, and how some of the churches have responded have forever changed me. It is something that has been happening for a long time. I KNOW these people. I sat with them every Wednesday and Sunday's. I fellowshipped with them in a small life group. Our little "group", these guys/gals are genuine. Real. But others in the church? Not so much. Hateful people. Judgmental. Seen it all.. Adultery, cheating on their taxes, stealing (forget to pay for stuff and just take it).. Always expecting others to behave differently than themselves. "It's okay for them to do it", but not you. Hiding their drinking.

As others have brought up, we are all sinners. Broken.. Fall FAR short of the Glory of God. One thing that God has done for me, I have found Jesus in people that, before, I would have scoffed at. They "look" rough, but they embody what Jesus was/is; Grace and Love. Now, I am not talking about people who are heathens. But rather, people who show their "fruit". We all struggle with something. Loving people and helping shouldn't be one of those issues.

No, I have learned a lot.. Maybe it is being diagnosed with a terminal condition that helped me "clear up the muddy water". I KNEW something wasn't right. What I saw in the churches and heard taught vs what I read in God's Word. They weren't the same. The big houses, big churches, fancy cars, etc.. But watch the reaction when an indigent person walked in church. Ha.. Everything is so wonderful, until there is a hiccup along the way, then panic. No, that isn't right..

I think there is a profound reason why Paul instructed us to "Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling." Man has lead a lot of people astray with false doctrine. They had to say things that were not biblical, otherwise, what they were openly doing would be easy to point out as wrong. So, they convoluted and distorted things. They will pay a heavy price, but so will others who have believed them.

That is why I always tell people to read the book of 1st John. It's a book of evidences. It will get in your kitchen, so to say. All I can tell people is this: We will all meet our Creator. Be prepared.
        As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
        2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
        2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
        Mobile, Al.
        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• Goose77
          Goose77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work!

People believe when they have reason to believe. Something has to be shown for them to believe. Different people will have different levels of what they consider proof . You can look at the world as you know it and believe there must be a higher power for something so amazing to exist or you can believe it just exists.

What I've always found interesting is that people often seem to think they have to believe something is true or believe something is not true. They think those are the only 2 choices . This is true of religion, issues of Covid and many other things . If you say you don't believe something there is a good chance people will take that as you believing that something is not true. The fact of the matter is that a person does not have to believe something is true nor that something is not true, to act according to what they feel is their best interest.

Is there a God ? Best to act as there is, in my opinion.
        Is a vaccine going to save you from harmful effects of Covid ? Best to act as it will , in my opinion.
        Would Trump have been declared the winner of the last election if the election would have been run fairly ? I don't know .

I think I base decisions I make on what I think is the most logical route and I don't waste time searching for absolute proof/ belief that I may never acquire.

Comment

Originally posted by erie skipper View Post
          I've always believed that one's relationship with God is very personal and sacred.
          I hope you don’t mind me quoting only this single sentence, but it summarizes the three paragraphs I was going to write much more succinctly.

Comment

• erie skipper
            erie skipper commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a problem at all

Kemper wrote something above which I think most folks don’t consider, and I asked my sons to mull over. The story of Christianity can be kind of hard for some to believe…I get it. But what do you do if it’s true?
          There’s a certain logic that believing is a good idea, because the consequence of getting this wrong is so bad. For some reason this reached them. You don’t have to be crazy to believe. In fact, the evidence is good that believing is a really safe and secure idea. THAT is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose77 View Post
            Kemper wrote something above which I think most folks don’t consider, and I asked my sons to mull over. The story of Christianity can be kind of hard for some to believe…I get it. But what do you do if it’s true?
            There’s a certain logic that believing is a good idea, because the consequence of getting this wrong is so bad. For some reason this reached them. You don’t have to be crazy to believe. In fact, the evidence is good that believing is a really safe and secure idea. THAT is cool.
            For me, faith did not come easy. My mind just couldn't help but asking questions.. ALL THE TIME. I am a math and science guy. My whole life.. Even to this day, that's all I do.. So, I broke it down in to "What do we know" sections.. What did it for me, and this seems simple at first, was the world. Yes, the world, or rather what's in it and how it works. I looked at the trees.. We don't have 1 type of tree, no there are many different species and sub groupings. . Then the eating plants.. Corn, wheat, berries, etc.. Not just 1 type.. Hundreds of each. Why? How? Just by happen stance? No way. The "odds" of 1 plant just evolving are so astronomical.. But here we are with edible plants.

Then the earth itself. It's a fine tuned machine. Planting season, where plants, trees, etc.. seed.. Then the wind blows and pollinates. The bees jump in there.. Birds, etc.. Then the rain.. Then the growing season.. Then the harvest.. A short dormant season and it all starts again..

God is amazing and I find Him in the smallest of things. Life..
            Last edited by KMac; 11-20-2021, 09:58 AM.
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• Goose77
              Goose77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Kmac.

• KMac
              KMac commented
              Editing a comment
              You're welcome. I could have written much more.. So much more..

There are two good books that are a must read for skeptics about God. A good read for Christians who seek to learn more about apologetics.
            The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
            An Investigative Journalist for the Chicago Tribune, who was an Atheist and set out to disprove the Bible and Christ.
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67uj2qvQi_k
            The Reason for God By Tim Keller
            Why does God allow suffering in the world? How could a loving God send people to Hell? Why isn’t Christianity more inclusive? How can one religion be “right” and the others “wrong”? Why have so many wars been fought in the name of God?

https://timothykeller.com/books

Comment

I don't believe, and I'm fine with people who do, they'll let you know who they are soon enough. However, if you think you're better than me or my daughters because of your beliefs then you are the problem and mean nothing to me. How 'bout we just judge people by their character?
              I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
              Amesbury, MA
              1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
              How can I help you?

Comment

Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
                There are two good books that are a must read for skeptics about God. A good read for Christians who seek to learn more about apologetics.
                The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
                An Investigative Journalist for the Chicago Tribune, who was an Atheist and set out to disprove the Bible and Christ.
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67uj2qvQi_k
                The Reason for God By Tim Keller
                Why does God allow suffering in the world? How could a loving God send people to Hell? Why isn’t Christianity more inclusive? How can one religion be “right” and the others “wrong”? Why have so many wars been fought in the name of God?

https://timothykeller.com/books
                Great books..
                Mobile, Al.
                Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post
                  I don't believe, and I'm fine with people who do, they'll let you know who they are soon enough. However, if you think you're better than me or my daughters because of your beliefs then you are the problem and mean nothing to me. How 'bout we just judge people by their character?
                  I agree, we are not better than you or your daughters. However, if you are a practicing Christian, and truly try to live the life, you will not unequally yoked. Some ignore that. Others do not. It's not a "fault" that someone would be true to their beliefs. On the contrary, if more people actually lived out their faith instead of talking about it, the Christian Church wouldn't be in such a mess. But, it should never be "held" over someone or used as a derogatory weapon..

I am not speaking of your daughters situation, per se. They seem like jerks.
                  Mobile, Al.
                  Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Been busy, good thread, now, what to write?
                    Faith, if there is a God, do we determine who he is, or, he is God and what we think or do does not determine who he is?

In the beginning, God! This is how both Genesis and the book of John start!

Before there was anything, there was God, which means he had no start, we do!

Jesus said time and time again, repent and believe, he never said religion was the way to know him, trusting him as your only hope is the only way.
                    John 14:6, Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no Man comes to the Father but through the Son!

In simple terms, man's attempt to reach God is through religion,
                    God's attempt to reach Man is through Jesus!

As quoted above, God's way is narrow and many more are on the broad, wide way that leads to destruction!
                    If a person thumps a bible at you and doesn't do what it instructs is a false convert and on the wide way, not the narrow!

READ John's Gospel! There you will have an idea who Jesus is and what his purpose is, to seek and save those who are lost.

Thanks for allowing this thread!

God bless America----

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
                      Been busy, good thread, now, what to write?
                      Faith, if there is a God, do we determine who he is, or, he is God and what we think or do does not determine who he is?

In the beginning, God! This is how both Genesis and the book of John start!

Before there was anything, there was God, which means he had no start, we do!

Jesus said time and time again, repent and believe, he never said religion was the way to know him, trusting him as your only hope is the only way.
                      John 14:6, Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no Man comes to the Father but through the Son!

In simple terms, man's attempt to reach God is through religion,
                      God's attempt to reach Man is through Jesus!

As quoted above, God's way is narrow and many more are on the broad, wide way that leads to destruction!
                      If a person thumps a bible at you and doesn't do what it instructs is a false convert and on the wide way, not the narrow!

READ John's Gospel! There you will have an idea who Jesus is and what his purpose is, to seek and save those who are lost.

Thanks for allowing this thread!

God bless America----

BWP
                      Excellent Kevin..
                      Mobile, Al.
                      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

And the saga continues…

My daughter sent a heartfelt text to the mother - explaining how she respects her and her beliefs, how she likes the son a bunch, thanked the mom for being so nice when she met her…

The mom deleted the text without reading it and flipped out on her son. She spent all night crying and we spent all morning fixing the mess this woman made.

A few years back my daughter had one date with a young man… the parents asked about her religion thru the son. Once they found out they asked to meet us for dinner - their motives were crystal clear - dinner was to judge us. After they told the son he was not to date my slut daughter.

Her best friend comes from an extremely religious family. They’ve done nothing but judge us and my daughter the entire time - claiming that we will try to convert their daughter to evil and teach the ways of the devil. Meanwhile the father has beaten the mom a few times and is currently cheating on her with multiple women - but we are the bad influence.

My daughter is a 4.0 student, just got accepted to one of the top colleges in the country in her field of study, She volunteers at food pantries and animal shelters, no drugs, no drinking - she’s a good person.

I don’t care what they say about me - but dammit man - they need to shut their cake holes about kids that didn’t do a dam thing wrong.

This has been happening my entire life, not one or two isolated incidences.

People often ask me if I hate the church and religion- I say no. But the same can’t be said for them in many cases. In a faith that preaches love - the message must get lost somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughed View Post
                          People often ask me if I hate the church and religion- I say no. But the same can’t be said for them in many cases. In a faith that preaches love - the message must get lost somewhere.
                          You are, sadly, correct. Although I can't fault anyone for living out their convictions and living out their Christian faith in not being unequally yoked, but I can certainly agree that some of the "Christians" I have met and gotten to know, are the most judgmental and hateful people I know. And, when you disagree with them and how they treat others, they turn on you as well. I am so sorry for the way people have treated you and your children. Not acceptable. Again, as a Christian, I DO believe we should not be unequally yoked (in relationships) with non-Christians, but there is no reason to be hateful.
                          Mobile, Al.
                          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Working...
                          X