Pounding on my door last night .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pounding on my door last night .....

My 88 year old neighbor woke us up about 12.30 pm , her 62 year old son lives with her and is a stroke victim . He uses a walker because he has limited use of his right side .
    Anyway , he had fallen and cracked his head wide open , and couldn't get up . She couldn't find her phone , ( she has dementia) ,
    so she came to us .

We called 911 and I went to pick him up off the floor , poor guy . Laying his own pool of blood , smelled terrible , he needed a bath , and no glasses so he couldn't see to use his phone .

Checked on him today , three stitches and his sugar was over 600 ? Is that even possible ?
    Still in the hospital .

I feel so bad for both of them , we've tried to get him to go to a group home , but he won't . What's he gonna do when she's gone ?
    Sure put my piddlely ass troubles in perspective .
    Funny thing is , after it was over , the wife remembered Evah has a lifeline emergency 911 caller around her neck , but never thought to use it .

That's a sad situation, glad you could be there to help. Also glad even though the mom has dementia she had enough wherewithal to come pound on a neighbors (your) door.

That's what neighbors are for, that is true charity. Peace to you.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

• Smitty45
      Smitty45 commented
      Editing a comment
      She is a sweetheart , watches our place like a hawk . She told us the guy's putting our pool in were lazy and she'd fire them . I told her we weren't paying them by the hour , she said I'd fire them any way ! LOL

• LFBB
      LFBB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's classic old school right there.

Yep. I routinely get these calls, too. My MIL is 85 and her sister lives with her. She is almost 87. She falls and Harriet can’t pick her up. Jean weighs in around 275. So, me or my oldest son has to go over and pick her up. Last time, she tried to sit on the couch and missed it. Slid off the edge.

I plan on speaking to Harriet about looking into a home for Jean. She can't take care of her. Harriet is losing weight. She did the same thing when Paula's dad was still alive.

Jean recently went to the hospital with water in or around her lungs (Pleural effusion or Pulmonary edema). We never found out which one. She said the doctor never told her. I don't believe that. She doesn't want to go to a home. While she was in rehab (she wouldn't get up) she wouldn't eat or do anything for herself. She told Harriet she would eat if she fed her???? Anyway, Harriet brought her home. Been one problem after another. She can't get in the bed or out of the bed.

A wonderful thing you do in helping.
    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• Smitty45
      Smitty45 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a terrible thing , Jean being a burden on Harriet , but who know , maybe Harriet needs someone to take care of ?
      Best of luck with that , it's a no win situation .

• KMac
      KMac commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but she can't do it. She is losing weight and not sleeping well. She is rattled..

• Smitty45
      Smitty45 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck , I hope you figure something out that works for both of them , it sucks though , big time .

High sugar? Yes, it is the LOW sugar that kills. From my 1st Responder training for diabetic-type emergencies, we were taught, "If unsure, give them sugar ... if high - they'll just go higher. But if low - it could be deadly."
    Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

• Still Learning
      Still Learning commented
      Editing a comment
      I always thought it was high sugar and low potassium

The Kane center seems to be the clearinghouse in Martin for all things geriatric. Maybe contact them??

Comment

• Smitty45
      Smitty45 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bill , but I think they quit doing it .

Wow.
    well a good thing u were there

Comment

Great job!!
      How often does hospice come? They should easily qualify
      Hospice will bathe them everyday
      2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

• Smitty45
        Smitty45 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hospice is only for the terminal people I thought ?

Not necessarily
      They took care of my Mom who had both Parkinson’s and Dementia for I’d guess around four years.
      It’s not all day custodial care but it is daily bathing and vitals check.
      Also, it includes weekly RN visits for medications, supplies, etc. which is generally covered by Medicare or disability in the sons case.
      2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
        Not necessarily
        They took care of my Mom who had both Parkinson’s and Dementia for I’d guess around four years.
        It’s not all day custodial care but it is daily bathing and vitals check.
        Also, it includes weekly RN visits for medications, supplies, etc. which is generally covered by Medicare or disability in the sons case.
        I'll look into that for her , thank you !

Comment

• Tiretyme
          Tiretyme commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely!
          They will send out a representative (RN) to make certain she/they qualify, which sounds like they do, or Doctor can give direction as long as they sign a HIPPA release
      Working...
      X