The dinner table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dinner table

Parker Yacht, your thread on fast food got me thinking.

Do you and your family gather at the dinner table or do you each go to another room to eat? We were raised to eat only at the dinner table. We have raise our children the same way. They are now raising their children the same way. Even if I’m eating alone, it’s at the table. No phones allowed at the table either. It’s time for fellowship with our loved ones.
    From down the bayou, South Louisiana.

Empty nester here. When the kids were still home we tried to always have dinner at the table. Now that it’s just my wife and myself we don’t normally eat at the table. My son is the only child that still lives locally. We started having breakfast with him and his girlfriend every Saturday morning about two months or so ago. It gives us time to hang out, have conversations and just relax. Very enjoyable!!!
    95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
    Seaford, De
    Curtis

Comment

Table is where it's at..... rarely we'll do quick meal in the family room in front of the TV if something important is on......

there is always a place set for my Gram and Father....only I can sit there..... someone else sat there once.....3 minutes in it made me uncomfortable seeing someone in my Dad's chair location at the table...so we switched........the marks from his wedding ring and college ring are still dug in it
      Attached Files

Comment

Special spot......

My grams us on the table my dad's on the chair that day.....mother's day.... nobody sat there...sit to the side.....ya know....we never discussed it....now I think about it....it just happened....like dominos falling....huh....just realized that
        Attached Files

Comment

When all the kids were still living at home, there was a period of time where we sat and ate supper together. As they got older and either had jobs or other things going on, not so much. We started several years ago to make Sunday night, family dinner night. Our oldest is the only one still living on the island, so we get together every Sunday. If the other kids are up here, same with them.
          Andrew Munao Jr
          Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
          888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

When we had kids at home, always at the table. Now that it's just us, sometimes we do table. Sometimes we do couch.
            As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
            2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
            2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Always eat at the table, often at a restaurant now, because neither of us like to cook lol. Even with kids' activities growing up, we tried to make it happen as often as we could.
              Sanibel FL
              Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

• Tiretyme
                Tiretyme commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s hard for me to cook for just two, so often it’s much easier to grab some take out

• KMac
                KMac commented
                Editing a comment
                No kidding.. We cooked for 6 or more for so long, it's hard for us to "tone it down".. LOL.. We tend to cook a meal and eat on it for two or three days.

My family is me.
              Mostly I eat in front of the TV. When I eat at my brothers we are at a kitchen table or dinning table.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Dining room table is for special meals. Supper at 1800 sharp at the kitchen island. Father-in-law at the head, wife and I along one side, kids along the opposite, when they're here. We clean up immediately after. If you're late, you serve yourself out of Tupperwares in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post
                  When we had kids at home, always at the table. Now that it's just us, sometimes we do table. Sometimes we do couch.
                  95% of the time we do couch now. Wifey and I work with each other all day, so we pretty much know what the other did, and we certainly don't want to talk about work. Wifey is into Polish Pottery, so she listens to the polish girl on FB sell her goods. Anyone need to know about Polish Pottery, please feel free to ask. lol
                  Andrew Munao Jr

Comment

I was raised at the table. Raised my kids the same way except for very occasionally, for special shows, in front of the TV. No phones allowed at the table. Ever. Still not.

Now that we're empty nesters, only time we eat at the table is when the kids are home or we have company. I sit in my recliner, wife on the couch. But we do not, nor will I ever allow, having a TV in the kitchen. It just feels wrong. I was aghast when my Mom got one put in her kitchen recently.
                    Bob

S Central PA

Comment

I do most of the cooking… my kids will typically sit at the island when I cook and we will all talk. They will eat there but I will go sit in a comfy chair because of my back. About 2x per week we will all sit together.

With sports, kids working… it’s hard to have everyone at one place at one time.

Comment

Everything is dependent upon, but I prefer the dinner table for a full meal, even lunch. It gives us a chance to talk as a family, teach teachable moments etc. Now if were just grabbing a sammich, sit and watch TV, read a book whatever.

Comment

On the couch. I have 3 puppies and they get the first bites, last bites and intermediate bites of what ever I'm eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post
                            On the couch. I have 3 puppies and they get the first bites, last bites and intermediate bites of what ever I'm eating.
                            We have two Yorkies, the one stares me down and drools waiting for me to hand him something.....anything....even veggies.
                            Andrew Munao Jr

Comment

Working...
                            X