Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions

I’m pretty much black and white on matters. Often times however I may not look at the bigger picture

My son (14) has a very very close friend.
    there is a posse of 5 boys that do all their non-organized sports stuff together, and this one kid is probably his number 1 pal.

But that boys mom.... I have no use for her. I have remained cordial to her and her husband when the situation arises. But that’s it.

she has cornered me 2x at my house and a third time while in my presence somewhere else she has espoused her political type views.

first time was over illegal immigration. I bit my tongue and smiled
    second time was over “churchies”
    third time again was churchies and abortion.
    (Her use of the term not mine)
    it’s mocking, hateful and condescending behavior

I no longer do popovers at their house when the kids are there. I’m always “fishing” that night when it’s an invite.

we just were invited to her husbands 50th at their home.
    mid August.

black and white me says “Bo, you do not have to subject yourself to these type of persons”
    then I think of my boy and the friendship.
    then I know she knows I could give a shit about going there based on some of her snide comments.
    the husband and I aren’t pals, we just tolerate each other.

thoughts?

I almost never go to parties I'm not comfortable attending. If you have no problem with their son and your son's friendship I wouldn't feel the need to attend. Or you could just use the old school repy, I never discuss religion or politics and be done.
    I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
    Amesbury, MA (work in Boston)
    1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
    How can I help you?

Comment

Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post
      I almost never go to parties I'm not comfortable attending. If you have no problem with their son and your son's friendship I wouldn't feel the need to attend. .

👍🏼

the boys friendship isn’t dependent on me.

Comment

Don't go.

That was easy.

If you want to do it the hard way, go, corner her, and tell her about your new love of crossfit or veganism. If she tries to change the subject, drag her back. Don't let up - be the Veganator.

But best is... don't go.

Comment

Tell her she makes you feel "uncomfortable", walk away
          Sanibel FL
          Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

I'm not sure if she's pro or anti abortion, pro or anti illegal immigration, that said it doesn't matter much, if you're not comfortable with her pointed opinions tell her so. "I place myself in this social situation for the sake of my boy, and to foster a positive community involvement, but your behavior reeks of malcontent instead of neighbor. If you cannot keep your political opinions to yourself with me, I'll ask you to not address me at all."

Comment

• V_Thirteen
              V_Thirteen commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, TBH, Boat Bum's version is the short form of LFBB's version.

• Ol Mucky
              Ol Mucky commented
              Editing a comment
              Boat Bum, that’s what I’m afraid I’ll do

• Boat Bum
              Boat Bum commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe next time she says something you don't agree with just say, I'd argue with you but then we'd both be wrong; smile and walk away.

Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post
            I almost never go to parties I'm not comfortable attending. If you have no problem with their son and your son's friendship I wouldn't feel the need to attend. Or you could just use the old school repy, I never discuss religion or politics and be done.
            ^^^^^This^^^^^^.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1
            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Or, bring a gun to the party------.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

I'd stay away from her if she wants to discuss politics or religion and is not on the same side of the issues. That's what the internet is for . 😊
                I'll tell someone exactly how I feel if they post something and I feel like engaging them online but I'm not going to argue with them or be put into a spot of them prying me for my feelings at a time I don't want to discuss things.
                Tell her to attend a riot or march where there are people that seek confrontation. 😊

Comment

Yep.. I just wouldn't go.. Explain it to your son, if he asks.
                  As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                  2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                  2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                  Mobile, Al.
                  Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I do not associate with people I don't like. If it is someone else's party I show up and avoid. If I can't avoid I leave. Life is already to stressful to add more to it.

Stress occurs when the mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the shit out of someone.

Comment

• Ol Mucky
                      Ol Mucky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol

If she corners you, maybe try just asking her questions about her opinion, how she came up with it, where she gets her information etc. Don’t chime in an argue or question her opinion, but just see how much she can verify and justify hers?

Comment

• jmike
                      jmike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Because the MSM told her so and that has to be the truth!

• Boat Bum
                      Boat Bum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      She'll just parrot the talking points du jour.

What's du jour?

I don't know but they have it everyday...

• duckfish
                      duckfish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wait….. what?
                      Du jour is a kind of soup right?

Life's too short. If it doesn't effect your son's friendship, don't go.
                    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

I can be civil to most anyone.

Sometimes, if I’m caught with no escape, my version of civil includes telling them I’m deaf (1/2 true) and my hearing aids are in for service.

If I know what I’m in for, my most civil is to just stay away from them and not engage
                      Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Me I would give my opinion to her on how I felt about her views. I love a good argument.

Comment

Working...
                        X