Critter ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critter ID Help

So, last night looked out the window while watching the news and this critter was walking across my backyard dock. I have not that much experience with hunting and "out in the woods" stuff so I have no idea what the heck it was. It was about the size of a medium dog, much larger than any household cat. Bushy tail that dragged on the ground. Now, the point is my house is on a canal just off the ICW in central Fort Lauderdale and nowhere near any vacant land, overgrown lots, or anyplace that would be home to a non-domestic animal....not the greatest pictures and had to edit this one. The dock is about 6' on the other side of those rocks, it is about 8' from my back doors here and was not really afraid of my presence....

Click image for larger version

Name:	critter backyard.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	866.2 KB
ID:	122085

Another shot on the dock before he walked away in the neighbor's yard....

Click image for larger version

Name:	critter backyard2.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	977.6 KB
ID:	122086

Gray fox
    Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Chupacabra

Comment

Yep,that’s a fox
        From down the bayou, South Louisiana.

Comment

A foxy 🦊
          ☺️

Comment

So where in the heck would it be living, and what do they eat? I've killed all the Iguanas......

Comment

Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
              Chupacabra
              ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by the other tom View Post
                So where in the heck would it be living, and what do they eat? I've killed all the Iguanas......
                How about that fish you b coookin?
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

How about that fish you b coookin?
                  Well, there is a decent-sized swordfish bill curing in a bait pen right there tied off to the dock.....

Comment

Watch your baby,,that is a dingo

Comment

Would make a nice warm fluffy captains hat

Comment

So, I guess he/she/it is welcome at Casa Tom, and he/she/it will eliminate any rats or bad things. Why don't we all have these critters in our backyard....

Overture, so I read up a little bit (I learned the Google) and it appears there was a pack of grey foxes living in the Birch State Park across the ICW years ago, and then they had some disease, but a few made it across the waterway and set up shop in what we call "old Coral Ridge". (I live in Old Coral Ridge within yelling distance to the park) I am at a loss for where they (he/she/it) have made their nest/burrow, but apparently they require dense foliage, densely unmanicured trees, or 'woods" to make their hideaway. Not on my property. Gonna get a motion activated bluetooth cam to see where they are coming and going from.

Comment

And then I've read from certain scholars that the Fort Lauderdale Grey Foxes also imbibe and like to eat seafood or fish products. Pretty sure that the sword bill is not the attractant, but the igloo cooler in the picture was recently full of a somewhat larger than normal amount of yellow eye snapper from someplace east of the 28 line and the owner of the cooler probably has not fully cleaned and disinfected the inside of this cooler.

Comment

You got a cat? That could be the attractant. We live pretty much in downtown Orlando (college park area) and have coyotes that eat the resident cat population.

Comment

Becareful.
                              The Ft Lauderdale Coral Ridge Grey Fox might be an indangered species.
                              You get them wimenfolk fired up at that Prespeterian Church and that fox will be the least of your issues.
                              Engine Sales and Service
                              Ph +1 954.463.1515
                              Fx +1

[email protected]
                              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Working...
                              X