Formula 1 coming to miami in 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the Grand Prix of Miami, back in the 80's. It was Downtown Miami, along Biscayne Blvd, Miamarina and Bicentenial Park. I worked the race as a fireman, manning the Pits, corner crew and Extrication Vehicle with the Jaws of Life. That was when Ralph Sanches was the promoter. The CART Indycar World Series race was held at Tamiami Park, just south of FIU.
    Would love to see road racing come back.
    Last edited by SeaCat22; 04-20-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

We had a kart race on one of these parking lots a few years ago. Looks like this will be a F1 parking lot race on a grand scale

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	118013

Jim Maier - www.BOEmarine.com - 866-735-5926 x104 - [email protected]

Comment

Can't race in a parking lot...that's where spectators park. gotta have stands, facilities, parking. F1 is not a dirt parking lot crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
          I remember the Grand Prix of Miami, back in the 80's. It was Downtown Miami, along Biscayne Blvd, Miamarina and Bicentenial Park. I worked the race as a fireman, manning the Pits, corner crew and Extrication Vehicle with the Jaws of Life. That was when Ralph Sanches was the promoter. The CART Indycar World Series race was held at Tamiami Park, just south of FIU.
          Would love to see road racing come back.
          CART cars were a lot more compatible with street circuits. I remember that venue..they also raced in Tampa and some track in Orlando. And Savannah.

Seems F1 tore up a temporary track in Texas...so much grip from the tires the asphalt fell apart.

Comment

• SeaCat22
            SeaCat22 commented
            Editing a comment
            There is so much uplift when these cars go over objects, the manhole covers must be welded down.

Originally posted by Billinstuart View Post
          Can't race in a parking lot...that's where spectators park. gotta have stands, facilities, parking. F1 is not a dirt parking lot crowd.
          Looks like a parking lot to me.

Jim Maier - www.BOEmarine.com - 866-735-5926 x104 - [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by yachtjim View Post

Looks like a parking lot to me.
            Couldn't tell if that was the cart track or the F1 track.

Comment

So the track runs backwards?? Now it looks better. I have no interest in attending because of the location, though.

Comment

My youngest daughter and I went to Indy F1 every year as guests of Bridgestone.
                She had her picture made with Michael Schumacher
                Thinking 34’ Fountain TE w/ trip 300’s
                Or Possibly 33’ or 36’ Frontrunner
                Got to get with Prop next week

Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

One of the greats. Tragic ending.

Comment

What's the statistic? Over 100mph and the could race on the ceiling?

The technology is incredible. The really incredible aspect is the longevity, durability of the components. 3 races on an engine?

Comment

Late last nite I watched a pole setting lap from Hamilton. Now I've been involved with SCCA for decades, both as driver and crew. It's just a reminder of how stupid fast those cars are on a good track.

What sets the podium guys apart from the backmarkers? Discipline and concentration. Schumacher was the master. It not just speed which makes a driver win..it's consistency. Schumacher had that. Lap times within a couple thousandths of each other. Hit the same spot on the track every lap. NEVER screwing up. apparently Hamilton has that ability, but he's not my favorite.

Lateral G forces? Not that far off from Red Bull air racers, who are limited to 7g's. Acceleration and braking? Same.

Comment

Went to the Detroit Grand Prix back in '89. They raced Indy cars that year instead of Formula 1. I can't say I know the difference, but the race was sure something to see up close. And I mean, real close. Nothing but a Jersey barrier separating us from the cars. Man, were those cars loud, and they could accelerate beyond your wildest imagination. Even the braking (deceleration) was mind boggling.

Comment

Working...
                        X