Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LFBB
    replied
    The school my wife teaches in just started using Facial recognition for attendance. The union welcomed it.

Leave a comment:

• Mako runner
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad1 View Post

Oops. I meant to say "All public high schools should have one day . . . ", but stupid me accidently left out the word "should". Lol. I went back and fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Good luck with that. The teachers union would not allow it. Any mention of or reference to God would get their panties all wadded up. As in (remember there is someone up above ). And of course simple kind of man would have to be changed to. Man,woman or trans...Charlie

Leave a comment:

• Brad1
    replied
    Originally posted by LFBB View Post

All public HS's where? Certainly not in NJ.
    Oops. I meant to say "All public high schools should have one day . . . ", but stupid me accidently left out the word "should". Lol. I went back and fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Leave a comment:

• LFBB
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad1 View Post
    Just live your life the way it's spelled out in the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Simple Man".

All public high schools have one day where the teacher plays that song and then discusses the meaning of the lyrics with the students. I wish I would've learned it's meaning much earlier in life.
    All public HS's where? Certainly not in NJ.

Leave a comment:

• Brad1
    replied
    Just live your life the way it's spelled out in the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Simple Man".

All public high schools should have one day where the teacher plays that song and then discusses the meaning of the lyrics with the students. I wish I would've learned it's meaning much earlier in life.
    Last edited by Brad1; 04-13-2021, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• V_Thirteen
    commented on 's reply
    No problem, if you don't sense God's presence, or hand, just substitute "mysterious force of fate"; fact is, you can have your head and heart in the right place, and life can fuck you over all the same. The best life can be screwed by a bad cat scan, a screech of tires, or the IRS. Some of us who've avoided much of this believe that we're blessed. And who knows... we could be. Or we could be "living right ". Or just lucky so far. But if it's God looking out for me, I wouldn't want to give the impression that I wasn't thankful.

• LFBB
    replied
    I always love sharing this story, it could be a man in any town in the world, Mexico, Panama, but for the purpose here it's set in Brazil, I hope you enjoy as I have many times over the years.

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
    As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
    The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
    The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
    “Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
    “This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
    The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
    The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
    “I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
    The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
    The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
    The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
    The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

Leave a comment:

• Boat Bum
    commented on 's reply
    You lost me at god but that's cool.

• Mako runner
    replied
    You can look at others who have more than you and be envious or you can look at those who have less than you and be thankful. I'm pretty sure those who are thankful are the happy ones regardless of the wealth they have or haven't got...Charlie

Leave a comment:

• LFBB
    replied
    Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
    Blessings in a broken world.
    From the morning devotional book I use...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181_Original.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	117244
    Comes across as self centered. Feeding himself, doesn't sound virtuous.

Leave a comment:

• V_Thirteen
    replied
    Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post
    They say money isn't the key to happiness, with enough of it I'm pretty sure I can have one made.
    Funny quote, but...

Client and business partner of mine was just a few bucks shy of billionaire. Apparently that was still short of what he needed to cure his kidney cancer, age 64.

The key to happiness is in your head, your heart, and in God's hand. Any one of the three missing, you'll chase happiness, but never grab it. Likewise, all 3 straight, you can be happy with very little.

Wife and I visited some old homes of ours last weekend, just for the memories. One place we remembered moving into, January, no propane, no heat, no stove, woke up from a freezing night and had hot water from the electric skillet for breakfast. You know what we mostly remember from there? Good times.

And I'd still rather have money- it's just best not to count on it too much.

My 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Boat Bum
    replied
    They say money isn't the key to happiness, with enough of it I'm pretty sure I can have one made.

Leave a comment:

• V_Thirteen
    replied
    Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
    I know some folks with "some" money.
    It can't buy health, it can't buy happiness, it can't buy friends.
    True, but lack of money can sure buy some unhappiness!

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Ahoy Vay View Post
    My definition of wealth has nothing to do with money. I am a very wealthy man!
    Yes.. I think it means something differently to each of us. For me it is family and friends. You can either make yourself of value to people or a person they'd rather stay away from.. I feel that if you leave this earth with lots of friends, and a family that loved you, and you them, you amassed wealth that is immeasurable...

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
    I know some folks with "some" money.
    It can't buy health, it can't buy happiness, it can't buy friends.
    This is so true.. Some of the most miserable people I have known had/have money.. But again, I have known some really happy wealthy people. Difference being that the ones who were miserable let money run their life. Dictated what they did.. Or should I say the fear of losing the money and power that comes with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X