X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LFBB
    F/O
    • Apr 2015

Counting our blessings

I spent a quick minute thinking about the Royals, that morphed into the super rich etc.

I am so glad I am not one of them or in that group. They have no freedom, sure they can go to any country and ultra top notch hotel/resort encampment they want, but they are stuck there, they can't walk the street, shop, take in a movie, try a new restaurant, watch a little league game, swim meet etc. They are stuck rubbing elbows with a small sampling of others in the same dammed boat. Sure they have the yacht, the private plane and 20,000 sq ft house but you're still stuck. When is the last time Bill Gates stopped and got an ice cream cone at a local storefront? Ever run into one of these people at the sand bar?

I'm very comfortable in life, like many of you I have a few toys and time for a hobby or two. I get to talk with my neighbor and use his saw if I need to, my kids are on soccer and softball teams and other parents will get together and cook out or share donuts during games.

I think the super rich want to control everything is because they are so bored and envious of us, we truly have it all, in limited amounts and doses but yes, we are the fortunate ones.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.
  • Jughed
    Decky
    • Oct 2020

I have some toys... 3 kids ready for college soon... working poor but living life!!

I would take a few of their spare dollars!!

Comment

• KMac
      F/O
      • Jun 2015

True.
      As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
      2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
      2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
      Mobile, Al.
      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• savedbygrace
        Swabby
        • Mar 2021

LFBB, I’d take being rich in the Lords eyes over financial riches any day. We don’t have a lot but my husband and I are always saying how much we love our lives and blessed we are.
        From down the bayou, South Louisiana.

Comment

• bluewaterposer
          Senior Poser
          • Feb 2016

I'm blessed, and have 'some' common sense, as the Apostle Paul says, be thankful for what you have, not what you don't have!

BWP

Comment

• Still Learning
            Decky
            • Feb 2021

Me, I’m the luckiest guy in the world. Retired at 62, 4 grandchildren and one on the way, a 15 year old boat and will celebrate my 47th wedding anniversary this year. My wife didn’t kill me during the pandemic. What more can I ask for?

Comment

• SeaCat22
              Senior Swabby
              • Dec 2019

Blessings in a broken world.
              From the morning devotional book I use...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181_Original.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	117244

Comment

• Parker Yacht
                Senior Swabby

• Nov 2014

I know some folks with "some" money.
                It can't buy health, it can't buy happiness, it can't buy friends.
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1
                Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• Ahoy Vay
                  Matey
                  • Sep 2019

My definition of wealth has nothing to do with money. I am a very wealthy man!

Comment

• KMac
                    F/O
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Parker Yacht
                    This is so true.. Some of the most miserable people I have known had/have money.. But again, I have known some really happy wealthy people. Difference being that the ones who were miserable let money run their life. Dictated what they did.. Or should I say the fear of losing the money and power that comes with it.
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• KMac
                      F/O
                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Ahoy Vay
                      My definition of wealth has nothing to do with money. I am a very wealthy man!
                      Yes.. I think it means something differently to each of us. For me it is family and friends. You can either make yourself of value to people or a person they'd rather stay away from.. I feel that if you leave this earth with lots of friends, and a family that loved you, and you them, you amassed wealth that is immeasurable...
                      Mobile, Al.
                      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• V_Thirteen
                        Matey
                        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Parker Yacht
                        True, but lack of money can sure buy some unhappiness!

Comment

• Boat Bum
                          Senior Swabby
                          • Jan 2020

They say money isn't the key to happiness, with enough of it I'm pretty sure I can have one made.
                          I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
                          Amesbury, MA
                          1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
                          How can I help you?

Comment

• V_Thirteen
                            Matey
                            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Boat Bum
                            They say money isn't the key to happiness, with enough of it I'm pretty sure I can have one made.
                            Funny quote, but...

Client and business partner of mine was just a few bucks shy of billionaire. Apparently that was still short of what he needed to cure his kidney cancer, age 64.

The key to happiness is in your head, your heart, and in God's hand. Any one of the three missing, you'll chase happiness, but never grab it. Likewise, all 3 straight, you can be happy with very little.

Wife and I visited some old homes of ours last weekend, just for the memories. One place we remembered moving into, January, no propane, no heat, no stove, woke up from a freezing night and had hot water from the electric skillet for breakfast. You know what we mostly remember from there? Good times.

And I'd still rather have money- it's just best not to count on it too much.

My 2 cents.

Comment

• Boat Bum
                              Boat Bum commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You lost me at god but that's cool.

• V_Thirteen
                              V_Thirteen commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No problem, if you don't sense God's presence, or hand, just substitute "mysterious force of fate"; fact is, you can have your head and heart in the right place, and life can fuck you over all the same. The best life can be screwed by a bad cat scan, a screech of tires, or the IRS. Some of us who've avoided much of this believe that we're blessed. And who knows... we could be. Or we could be "living right ". Or just lucky so far. But if it's God looking out for me, I wouldn't want to give the impression that I wasn't thankful.
                          • LFBB
                            F/O
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SeaCat22
                            Blessings in a broken world.
                            From the morning devotional book I use...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181_Original.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	117244
                            Comes across as self centered. Feeding himself, doesn't sound virtuous.
                            This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                            You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Working...