Keto diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keto diet

I have about 25# to lose. Started the Keto diet. Anyone have experience doing it? Recipes? Not a fan of chicken at all, I avoid it as much as possible. I’ve done Adkins which is almost the same which yielded 20#in about 6 months but thought I’d give this a try this time around.
    From down the bayou, South Louisiana.

No idea, but good luck, I love to eat so future weight loss not likely, decent metabolism but 200 lbs is a tiny bit much on my lean 6' frame!

BWP

Comment

Lots of info out there, but it all boils down to two things: Don't eat high-glycemic-index foods (sugar and things that quickly turn into sugar) and consume less calories than you expend.

In practical terms, this means you eat meat, high-fiber veg, and good fats. Keto just means that you train your body to run on ketones instead of glucose - by not eating stuff that turns into glucose. https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/ketogenic-diet/

There's a lot I don't know about the subject, and there are people who have figured out a lot of things that I find counter-intuitive. For example, you have to eat some fat to train your cells to burn fat, because ours are all pretty much trained to either eat glucose, or just stage a work slowdown.

At any rate, there's a lot of good info out there. Get a hold of a copy of Sugar Busters, Protein Power Plan, South Beach Diet, Wheat Belly, or probably a dozen others to learn about sugar and insulin.

Also, if you really, really want to lose weight fast, read this: https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/...loss-handbook/

Wife and I decided to shuck a few pounds, and have gone to one meal per day. We have a cup of black coffee in the morning, and dinner. We've also been walking 4 miles every morning. Arrrgh! Been on it about four weeks. We still have a small glass of wine every evening, because we both agree that it adds enough enjoyment to our lives that we're not going to stop. (Note to the concerned: we can go dry whenever we want, and have done so for various intervals and reasons many times, we just think the sun sets a little prettier with a glass of wine.)

Funny thing is, I'm not really hungry during the day. Hunger's not because your stomach is empty, it's because you secrete hormones at regular times to tell your body it's time to eat. After a while, your body resigns itself to the fact that it's going to wait for dinner.

It has absolutely killed my motivation to lift, though. I figure I'll restart when I've lost what I want to.

Lots of good free info on that Body Recomposition website.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you so much for the info.

BWP, that’s the reason I’m in this situation. Don’t ever move to my area if you want to stay fit and trim. Wayyyyyy too much good food. 😁

Comment

Yea, I have a Keto diet idea...
          You're in Louisiana. Home of the other white meat. I'm talking about Alligator, frog and crawfish. Alligator and frog are almost 100% lean. It's wild meat, so no hormones, antibiotics or commercial feed. I always have wild game and meat in the freezer. Easy on the crawfish.
          Portion control is another big factor. Don't eat anything after 1800hrs. Use raw ingredients. Easy on processed foods.

Comment

• savedbygrace
            savedbygrace commented
            Editing a comment
            We have frog legs in the freezer. Alligator and crawfish are readily available. While alligator is very lean, the 2 ways I cook it is horrible for keto. Bread crumbs then fry and alligator sauce picante made with a roux. I could use almond or coconut flour but I don’t think it’ll taste the same and probably a different texture.

Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
          Yea, I have a Keto diet idea...
          You're in Louisiana. Home of the other white meat. I'm talking about Alligator, frog and crawfish. Alligator and frog are almost 100% lean. It's wild meat, so no hormones, antibiotics or commercial feed. I always have wild game and meat in the freezer. Easy on the crawfish.
          Portion control is another big factor. Don't eat anything after 1800hrs. Use raw ingredients. Easy on processed foods.
          Not strictly diet food, but one of the by-products of getting healthy / being semi retired is, I'm learning to cook. A few weeks ago, I tried my hand at shrimp & grits, Cajun style. It was really good, especially for a first effort. Emboldened by success, I decided my next try at this was going to be gator 'n grits, Cajun style. Friday night dinner, comin' up. Wish me luck!

Also gonna try it with bay scallops.

Also, regarding portion control: one meal a day makes that a no-brainer (perfectly suited to me!)

Comment

Originally posted by savedbygrace View Post

BWP, that’s the reason I’m in this situation. Don’t ever move to my area if you want to stay fit and trim. Wayyyyyy too much good food. 😁
            Don't ever join a Gasparilla krewe. Instant blubber. Alcohol and crap food.

Comment

Been Keto-ing for about 9 months. 56 years old. 5'11". Was around 248. Last time I weighed myself I was 224. Want to get to around 205. Wife says no less, she wants something to hug. lol

I think I drop a pound or so every 2 weeks.

My knees feel so much better. I feel better all around. Fitting back into my older clothes. Need to buy some new.

Basically I cut out all the sugar that I am aware of. Eat meat and veggies(some cheese), love salads, and different kinds of Keto treats. No bread, no starches. Occasional low carb wraps for sandwiches. Its not hard to do. The temptations are what gets me because I love sugary stuff. No booze(for non Keto reasons) and no coffee(for non Keto reasons)

We walk every day either after lunch or when we get home. Around a mile, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Like I said, its not hard to do. At least for me.
              Andrew Munao Jr
              Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
              888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Funny you should mention Louisiana!

My Aunt, Dad's sister married a Coonazz named Dangle form Break Bridge, she was married almost 50 years, she learned how to cook Cajun according to my Dad.

She apparently made good Jambalaya!
                No skinny family members with that cooking.
                Several years ago they took us to dinner while on vacation there, they invited and paid, $600.00 including tip, didn't bat an eye, extremely grateful as my uncle moved oil derricks and was well paid, like 10k weekly.

He was an awesome uncle and motivated me to join the Marines as an 18 year old, he was a and led by example, a great man!
                My Aunt lost her first husband as a chopper pilot in Laos in 1967except for a molar, body not recovered, poops, way off topic, my apologies!

Yes, you won't be lean eating Cajun Cooking!!!!!

BWP

Comment

• bluewaterposer
                  bluewaterposer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breau Bridge!

Daigle!!!!!

• savedbygrace
                  savedbygrace commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There’s a lot of Daigle’s in this area as well. And yep, you named it, I’m a RCA (Registered CoonAss) as well. I love everything about our lifestyle except for the extra pounds it leads to. My husband was healed by God of Crohns 18 years ago. We married a year after that. When we married he was a size 30 pants and 143#. Didn’t take long for me to fatten him up to a size 33 and 195#. But I do love having him just the way he is.

• bluewaterposer
                  bluewaterposer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's awesome, my Uncle was an extraordinary man, came up poor, did extremely well with education and hard work, and God!

This website is for those who want to look great and feel great. Anyone can be healthier, have more energy, sleep better, and feel better about themselves

Comment

• savedbygrace
                  savedbygrace commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for sharing that. When I first opened that I saw the picture of a very ripped guy. My thought was my ribs haven’t been seen since God created them.

• bluewaterposer
                  bluewaterposer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As when God caused Adam a deep sleep-----

LOL

Ask away...

Been “doing keto” for 3 years now to control the beetus.

First pounds you lose will be water weight.

The rest will come from good ole calorie restrictions.

If you eat to much, you will gain weight, just like any other way of eating.

Keto flu sucks for a few days as your body kicks it’s sugar dependence. You will feel like ass, zero energy. Then you will wake up renewed.

Comment

• savedbygrace
                  savedbygrace commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have read up on it somewhat. Just looking for people’s experience and recipes. I really don’t care for chicken, even fried chicken or lamb but we eat pretty much any other kind of meat and all seafood.

My wife is currently doing Keto and seems to be rocking it! Good luck and keep up posted!
                Alabaster, AL
                Mobile, AL
                2003 Pro Line 22 Bay, Yamaha SX200TXRC

Comment

Is the Keto flu what is making me nauseous?

Comment

The wife has lost 24# doing a paleo type thing
                    no dairy gluten or sugar
                    veggies and meat

Comment

Is the Keto flu what is making me nauseous?
                      Could be. It’s essentially withdraw symptoms...

Salt salt salt salt.... helps a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X