Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting

I was hunting with my son on public land Saturday for small game at a new management area.

we are walking down a trail and see a hiker.
    no biggie
    little while later we see granola people. In granola clothes and no water or backpacks or anything
    We say hmm
    a bit after that we see moms dads kids off the trail on a trail etx

i stop one and ask what’s up.
    apparently there are caves there that people come from all over to see.

we said oh wow. So the boy and I head over to see. Full camo and rifles.

it was fairly cool.
    Then 4 families with kids and us intersect. I hear “guns” “hunters” mumbled from the back.
    a dad says”whatcha hunting”
    I says squirrel rabbit hog
    and this lovely woman with a snarky face and tone mumbles “Small children”
    normally I would have said something like “no they are out of season, bu sometimes they do get caught in the crossfire because of ignorant upbringing” or “well y’all need to be careful this is the woods and while it’s shared use you should be alert” or something like that

But, I took the high road. Ignored her engaged the dad about the caves then told them about Ruby Falls and most of them were like “no way! That sounds amazing” etc

we parted and went on our ways. And hopefully educated a few on preconceived notions of rednecks and hunters.

side note. Let me say EVERY boy under 16 we saw could no stop smiling and or staring at Levi and I and the guns. Especially the guns.
    I think boys have an innate drive or something to want to shoot guns. Prolly the hunter gatherer thing in our genes. Sadly that’s being suppressed.

Good for you for engaging them politely!

Us hunters are in the minority. I am always very conscious to present as positive & friendly an image as I can. No good can come from turning non-hunters into anti-hunters.

One day last fall in CO, we hunted a big loop that brought us down to a well used (read flat & easy) trail to get back to the truck. The morning climb had been a bear and even getting down off the top was brutal. I was spent. So this easy trail to cover the 4 miles back seemed like a good idea. What I didn't expect was the crowds we'd run in to. Biker's, hunters, hikers, a few retired locals just going for a walk. All friendly and engaging, except a pair of millennial granola eaters. Never hard to spot. And the first ones I bumped in to when I hit the main trail.

My daughter & SIL were a ways behind me hitting the main trail. Woman was bitchy and hostile right out of the gate. I made polite small talk and petted her 3 dogs that were jumping all over me. Few minutes later my daughter shows up, hands me her rifle and proceeds to fuss all over the dogs and talk to them. Snotty woman started to soften. But she still had to comment, loud enough for us to hear, as we parted ways "can't believe a sweet girl like that wants to kill things".

I told the kids it could be an unpleasant walk back if there are many more like that on the trail. Turned out we got back late because we spent so much time chatting with everyone else we ran in to.
    Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Just so I understand - meat just appears by magic, wrapped in styrofoam and cellophane at the meat counter, right? I mean, no animals are actually killed... right?

Comment

Where is this at?
        This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
        You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Florida

Comment

Originally posted by duckfish View Post
            Good for you for engaging them politely!

No good can come from turning non-hunters into anti-hunters.
            Well said above and good job Mucky on taking the high road! When I'm on game/license/fees purchased land, I'll never fail to say "Oh, by the way, do you realize WE BOUGHT & PAID FOR THIS LAND that you so freely walk on?"

...that goes a long way, as seriously, most have no idea ...
            Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

Originally posted by DaleH View Post
              Well said above and good job Mucky on taking the high road! When I'm on game/license/fees purchased land, I'll never fail to say "Oh, by the way, do you realize WE BOUGHT & PAID FOR THIS LAND that you so freely walk on?"

...that goes a long way, as seriously, most have no idea ...
              I attended several meetings a few years ago when our DNR folks were talking about introducing fees for anyone using state purchased lands. Meaning....up to that point anyone could use those properties to hunt, bird watch, hike, horseback riding, etc. at no charge. You should have heard the outrage from mainly the horse folks. I finally had enough and took the floor to politely remind them that they (unless they hunted and or fished) had not contributed one dime towards the purchase and maintenance for these lands. Most honestly had no clue where the money was coming from.

They ended up passing the fees. Mind you....pretty minor fees. If memory serves me just $10.00.
              95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
              Seaford, De
              Curtis

Comment

Same here except the other users have yet to be required to pay any fees.

The 1.5 million acres of state game lands here is 100% paid for by hunters. To their credit, I have seen some horse people groups buy hunting licenses to pay their fair share.
                Bob

S Central PA

Comment

I don’t beleive ours are paid for 100% by hunters.
                  i do suspect though once the land is acquired a good chunk of our monies does go to maintain it

Comment

Originally posted by NO WAKE View Post

I attended several meetings a few years ago when our DNR folks were talking about introducing fees for anyone using state purchased lands. Meaning....up to that point anyone could use those properties to hunt, bird watch, hike, horseback riding, etc. at no charge. You should have heard the outrage from mainly the horse folks. I finally had enough and took the floor to politely remind them that they (unless they hunted and or fished) had not contributed one dime towards the purchase and maintenance for these lands. Most honestly had no clue where the money was coming from.

They ended up passing the fees. Mind you....pretty minor fees. If memory serves me just $10.00.
                    Ga adopted a new license a few years ago for the non hunters on wma's. I think it is like 10 a year.
                    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Interesting story goes on. And you do had a good time and you know how to grab others attention. I had a worth reading.
                      Local New Orleans tours for fun lovers!!

Comment

Working...
                      X