That time of year again! winterize, ugh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That time of year again! winterize, ugh.

we have been getting crazy weather swings. from low 20`s to mid 70`s... First off I should say this is Joisey. Last time out a few weekends ago was to try out another Carb, (Rochester reman), new water sep/filter, and the original fuel metal line reinstalled. Tossed another 4 Blade on her and Dam if she didn`t run great. Still Low 50`s but achieved the RPM of 4800 with full tank, 2 adults and gear. Today was the day to start winterizing and planning my changes for the next season.
    Ran -50 RV/Marine antifreeze through her, and Fogged till it stalled. Fresh oil change with Rotella and Wix filter. after a bit of cooling down, drained the exhaust manifolds and the block, then rinsed the bilge. and have a few DampRid bags to hang. She wont get shrink wrapped bc of the ongoing work as time allows...

I have on hand an Autometer Marine Vacuum and Fuel pressure gauges to be installed this next season along with a new lexan piece to make a new gauge panel.
    I also Have a New Davis Unified Ignition distributor to replace the Thunderbolt IV system, and I`ll need to replace the shift interlock switch assy.

So for next season she`ll get a few more parts, a few changes, some new lighting, connect the house battery to the battery switch for charging, possible a new redesign of the already rebuilt and redesigned rear hatch and bulkhead... have to make a trough for the water leaking in through the piano hinge, most annoying. and whatever I can think of along the way...

I am preping for winter.

Changing out to sailfish baits and HST Wahoo gear.

Comment

Guess Virginia Beach is in between. I don't winterize other than putting some antifreeze in the fresh water tank as normally we only get a few cold days. But, the downside is most of the fish are gone due to cold water.

At least I can get the family out whale and seal watching after the first of the year and start preping for fishing season.
      Richard - Sailfish 245DC
      Virginia Beach

Comment

We do it a little differently:
        Stabilize fuel
        run motor to temp and then some to flush
        drain block and manifolds to empty
        Restart motor sucking 5 gals pink thru motor while fogging at the same time.
        that way motor is left full of antifreeze and will prevent cast iron block and manifold from rusting all winter.
        change motor oil and filter while it's still warm,change fuel filters, spark plugs
        disconnect battery, cover boat, then go south for the winter.

Comment

What is this Term, winterize?
          Get on a plane and go snow skiing, THAT is winterize.
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by massbay View Post
            We do it a little differently:
            Stabilize fuel
            run motor to temp and then some to flush
            drain block and manifolds to empty
            Restart motor sucking 5 gals pink thru motor while fogging at the same time.
            that way motor is left full of antifreeze and will prevent cast iron block and manifold from rusting all winter.
            change motor oil and filter while it's still warm,change fuel filters, spark plugs
            disconnect battery, cover boat, then go south for the winter.
            yep, already has the stabilizer in the tank, warmed the engine up on the muffs, switched over to the bladder filled with antifreeze, stalled with fogging oil. after cooling drained the manifolds and engine block. There is still some antifreeze in the hoses, PS cooler, etc. while the motor was warm, evac`d the oil, and put in Rotella with a new Wix oil filter. Fuel filter was just recently serviced.
            Also pulled the plugs and sprayed more storage oil in the cylinders.

The plug were all uniform in color, looks like engine is wearing in nicely.
            Outdrive is off and on a stand for the winter. little bit of wear metals in the outdrive gear lube, I have a small small oil leak somewhere as the reservoir drops down a little after a few hard rides. So it will need to be looked at and resealed, otherwise its very clean... No water visible in unit gear oil. Splines look good as does the new coupler, and the alignment tool slid right in.. Batteries are out, Have plugs on Hand when I do the ignition conversion over to the DUI.

Comment

Working...
            X