Ooops,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooops,

Fernandina Beach, this was ALMOST me back in 86'.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1943
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	75889
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Was that on a sandbar, looks high and dry then down under, how?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
      Was that on a sandbar, looks high and dry then down under, how?
      No.
      There is a Loooong rock jetty on the North side, it goes awash at HW.
      Engine Sales and Service
      Ph +1 954.463.1515
      Fx +1

[email protected]
      www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

---

Views:	1924
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	75895
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Oh my.. The second pic, only tower is visible.. Did that beautiful bote sink??
          As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
          2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
          2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
          Mobile, Al.
          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

How did it go from high and dry to sinking? Tide come in and float it off somehow?
            Andrew Munao Jr
            Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
            888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

The jetty can clearly be seen in the aerial view, the question is if it is know to be submerged at times is it marked with signs out to the end? If not the owner may have an issue with whatever entity manages that inlet. If it is marked then the guy needs to downsize to a canoe.
              29' Fountain Lightning Sportfish
              17' Bass Tracker
              13' Boston Whaler

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Forward View Post
                The jetty can clearly be seen in the aerial view, the question is if it is know to be submerged at times is it marked with signs out to the end? If not the owner may have an issue with whatever entity manages that inlet. If it is marked then the guy needs to downsize to a canoe.
                Same as any other jetty that's been hit lately, it's there, and marked.
                1986, I was bringing a bote from RI to Fla. Mid October, brand new bote, VHF was it, no Loran C, no depth sounder, no cell phone, no GPS. 26 years old, 40' bote, my first trip down the East coast, I was captain, with a mate who was the owners B.I.L (Cheap).
                I DR'd the whole way, plotted and steered a compass course, drove close enough to shore to count inlets.
                i was coming down the coast from Charleston to Fernandina, just turning dark, was late, low on fuel, hungry, cold, on a flybridge with no protection.
                Was running close, inshore of the "kink" in that breakwall. No daymarks, running 40+ nkts. I see the tide rip, don't like it one bit, at the last minute a rock pops up, I go from 40kts to full reverse.
                Made it. Water in my shoes.
                I look waay, and I mean waay off to port? Entrance marker.
                I will FOREVER remember Fernandina Harbor. Forever.
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

1986, I was bringing a bote from RI to Fla. Mid October, brand new bote, VHF was it, no Loran C, no depth sounder, no cell phone, no GPS. 26 years old, 40' bote, my first trip down the East coast, I was captain, with a mate who was the owners B.I.L (Cheap).
                  I DR'd the whole way, plotted and steered a compass course, drove close enough to shore to count inlets.
                  i was coming down the coast from Charleston to Fernandina, just turning dark, was late, low on fuel, hungry, cold, on a flybridge with no protection.
                  Was running close, inshore of the "kink" in that breakwall. No daymarks, running 40+ nkts. I see the tide rip, don't like it one bit, at the last minute a rock pops up, I go from 40kts to full reverse.
                  Whoa.. I bet you will remember that..
                  As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                  2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                  2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                  Mobile, Al.
                  Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

He's going to ruin those underwater lights with them on and not submerged.
                    I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
                    Amesbury, MA
                    1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
                    How can I help you?

Comment

Wow. I bet you will. Spotting an ugly tide rip really is key sometimes. And agreed. Don’t like that one bit. Good story to learn from. Thanks.

Chris
                      26’ Tideline Design 2005
                      Custom Carolina by Pico Boyce of IBW

Comment

Wow....

Comment

guess the decision is to ask for green LED street signs on every "hazard" to navigation, I mean somebody must be responsible for not lighting that submerged rock/jetty/sandbar/shoal. maybe they can put blue/purple flasher to indicate a real hazard, instead of the typical red/green/MOA and flashing patterns that were implemented before most of the members here were born...…

charts these days, I mean how bad can it get!!!! They don't even have reliable auto course navigation like the lady in your Lexus....

(this is a funny)
                          Last edited by the other tom; 03-19-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Dude, I almost did same thing coming out of Illinois River in Chicago headed into Lake Michigan.
                            New Motor Yacht, 25 year old El Capitan I was w/a very young mate, on a cold & dark late October night
                            Full reverse, missed it—barely. Cleaned my pants, gathered my composure and puttered on out.
                            You see so many flashing markers your eyes get exhausted, trying to keep up with on chart.
                            VHF, Fathometer & Compass only
                            2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
                            Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

So, that is what the dive door is for.
                              Easy beach access.

Views:	1867
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	76196
                              Engine Sales and Service