X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billinstuart
    replied
    Originally posted by SIM View Post

Very true. Outside of lighting strikes, it doesn't happen very often with ECMs.
    Even on cars. Sensors can fail, but even those are often misdiagnosed. Don't shoot the messenger. If the code reader says "O2", maybe the O2 is simply doing its' job and saying "there's a fuel mixture problem".

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SIM View Post

Yes , but I also don't want to go through the refunding process. Hard to return a used ECM to Yamaha.
    Well, there it is again, Andy.. Honesty.. LOL..

Leave a comment:

• SIM
    replied
    Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
    Trying to troubleshoot a modern outboard without a computer, the proper program and a fuel pressure gauge is like me trying to catch fish.
    90% of issues with newer Yamaha's is fuel related.
    Others, not so much.
    Very true. Outside of lighting strikes, it doesn't happen very often with ECMs.

Leave a comment:

• SIM
    replied
    Originally posted by KMac View Post

An honest business man..
    Yes , but I also don't want to go through the refunding process. Hard to return a used ECM to Yamaha.

Leave a comment:

• Pstephens46
    replied

When you get down to it, probably not, more like 98%.
    I think we are hitting on all cylinders here.

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    replied
    Originally posted by jethro1 View Post

That low you think?
    When you get down to it, probably not, more like 98%.

Leave a comment:

• jethro1
    replied
    Trying to troubleshoot a modern outboard without a computer, the proper program and a fuel pressure gauge is like me trying to catch fish.
    Others, not so much.
    That low you think?

Leave a comment:

• jethro1
    replied
    Originally posted by Billinstuart View Post

They would probably want Sim to take the computer back if it didn't cure the problem. There generally is NO return on electronics, unless it is a core. Too easy to damage.
    And then blast him when would not take it back. Or blast Yamaha. It is always someone else's fault.

Leave a comment:

• jethro1
    replied
    Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

Did rejesturd make that recommendation? Surprised he didn’t suggest an intake air leak.
    That guy is a work of art is he not?

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    replied

When you say fuel related, do you mean water in the fuel, old fuel?
    Traditionally speaking Yamaha's are very strong electrically.
    When troubleshooting it most times has something to do with fuel.
    - Lack thereof.
    - Bad.
    Bad can be many things, but, it's not good. :-))))))

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied
    Others, not so much.
    When you say fuel related, do you mean water in the fuel, old fuel?

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    replied
    Others, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied

But my $59 code reader said.....
    I almost posted something about the code reader but felt I had said enough.. Lol.. You're right though..

Leave a comment:

• Billinstuart
    replied

And that is precisely why they do not take electronics back.. People THINK they can do "it".. when in reality, they have no idea what goes into fixing something.. Believe me, for someone like me, it's hard to accept.. I grew up running around in muscle cars and old 4 wheel drives.. I have restored several International Scouts over the years, but that doesn't make me qualified to work on this new stuff.. My hats off to those who have kept up with the times and re-certified each time something new rolled out.

Many, many moons ago, I worked for AutoShack, when I was about 19.. An in between job.. I actually liked it.. This was before computers and all we had were big manuals to cross reference.. Even then, ALL electronics, major parts (starters, alternators) we nonreturnable once installed.. People would buy it just "hoping" that was the problem..
    But my $59 code reader said.....

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied

They would probably want Sim to take the computer back if it didn't cure the problem. There generally is NO return on electronics, unless it is a core. Too easy to damage.
    And that is precisely why they do not take electronics back.. People THINK they can do "it".. when in reality, they have no idea what goes into fixing something.. Believe me, for someone like me, it's hard to accept.. I grew up running around in muscle cars and old 4 wheel drives.. I have restored several International Scouts over the years, but that doesn't make me qualified to work on this new stuff.. My hats off to those who have kept up with the times and re-certified each time something new rolled out.

Many, many moons ago, I worked for AutoShack, when I was about 19.. An in between job.. I actually liked it.. This was before computers and all we had were big manuals to cross reference.. Even then, ALL electronics, major parts (starters, alternators) we nonreturnable once installed.. People would buy it just "hoping" that was the problem..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X