Extended Engine Warranties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Engine Warranties

Have a new boat being built and it’s almost finished. Builder asked me if I wanted to add extended warranties for the engines.

Of course, there are no freebies going on at the moment so I will have to pony up if I want the warranties. My last boat had 5 year warranty and never used it. I’m sure the extended promotions will come back the day after I take delivery of the boat.

Have option to extend to 5 or 8 years for fairly reasonable prices. Comes with 3 years. These are Mercury engines.

Worth it or a waste of money? Thoughts?

Mercury or out source warranty?
    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

For the vast vast majority it will be a waste of money. For a few, it will be money well spent.

Will you be with the vast majority or with the few? Damn if I can predict the future.

I have had home owners insurance for the last 45 years. What a complete waste of money. Thrown down the drain.

Comment

Yamaha is currently offering 6 years, 3 plus 3, until Nov 30 at no cost; you might want to contact a Merc rep through your dealer to see if Merc is going to follow suit

Comment

I think it would depend on the engine and quantity.
          Two engines and 150 hp? Engh, maybe I take the chance the last past three years and if they don't I cover the repairs.
          3-4-5 engines and 300hp plus? Maybe I spend 6k or more.
          One powerhead or lower unit is that much.
          How much are you will to come out of pocket?
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Extended warranty companies are in business to make a profit. It's sort of like gambling in Vegas, some are gonna win (blown engine covered) while the vast majority are going to lose (never a claim). It's good piece of mind however.

Comment

Originally posted by fins View Post
              Have a new boat being built and it’s almost finished. Builder asked me if I wanted to add extended warranties for the engines.

Of course, there are no freebies going on at the moment so I will have to pony up if I want the warranties. My last boat had 5 year warranty and never used it. I’m sure the extended promotions will come back the day after I take delivery of the boat.

Have option to extend to 5 or 8 years for fairly reasonable prices. Comes with 3 years. These are Mercury engines.

Worth it or a waste of money? Thoughts?
              Where are you buying the engines? What state?
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_Kurt View Post
                Extended warranty companies are in business to make a profit. It's sort of like gambling in Vegas, some are gonna win (blown engine covered) while the vast majority are going to lose (never a claim). It's good piece of mind however.

I could be wrong but I believe my extended warranty is through Merc (my V-Rods have the extended warranty to 8 years). I believe Zuke outsources their extended warranty to a third party provider. I don’t believe Yamaha, Honda or Merc do. No clue about BRP.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The engines are new Merc 115 CT’s that are being provided by the builder. Boat is being built locally here in the Sarasota area. Im supposed to get final pricing back in the next day or two. Warranty is through Merc and is not 3rd party outsourced. Basically an extension of the 3 year factory warranty if you go to the highest level and they are also offering a step down level that only covers mechanical issues. No electrical.

Comment

You know, my thoughts are if you plan to keep it, buy it.
                    If you plan to sell it, and they are transferable, buy it.

Haven't wrecked a car since I was a kid but I still keep full coverage.
                    On the other hand, my wife gets bumped all the time.
                    ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                    ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Merc V8’s on order
                    Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by fins View Post
                      Thanks for the replies. The engines are new Merc 115 CT’s that are being provided by the builder. Boat is being built locally here in the Sarasota area. Im supposed to get final pricing back in the next day or two. Warranty is through Merc and is not 3rd party outsourced. Basically an extension of the 3 year factory warranty if you go to the highest level and they are also offering a step down level that only covers mechanical issues. No electrical.
                      That would be Platinum and Gold.
                      Florida Insurance Policy's (Which the extended is) Cannot be discounted by law.
                      Read closely here, but, you can buy the SAME Policy out of state, say Wisconsin (SIM Yamaha/Mercury) or David Wade Marine, LA at a discount .
                      Ask me how I know.

Call Andy at SIM or Casey at David Wade Marine, tell them I say "Hi".

PSS: Also tell Casey, that just because I am NOT from LA, I still know how to drive a Bote, and not put one in the Marsh.
                      Engine Sales and Service
                      Ph +1 954.463.1515
                      Fx +1

[email protected]
                      www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                        That would be Platinum and Gold.
                        Florida Insurance Policy's (Which the extended is) Cannot be discounted by law.
                        Read closely here, but, you can buy the SAME Policy out of state, say Wisconsin (SIM Yamaha/Mercury) or David Wade Marine, LA at a discount .
                        Ask me how I know.

Call Andy at SIM or Casey at David Wade Marine, tell them I say "Hi".
                        I did NOT know that
                        Weird Florida Law
                        ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                        ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Merc V8’s on order
                        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

I did NOT know that
                          Weird Florida Law
                          Yup. It Severely handicaps our ability to be competitive in the "Extended Warranty" arena.
                          I have a hard time with it.
                          It is a real Coup' for out of state shops.
                          Engine Sales and Service
                          Ph +1 954.463.1515
                          Fx +1

[email protected]
                          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Only from you have I heard that, believe you though, La may have us beat in swamp land.
                            BWP

Comment

Do you have a good relationship with your dealer?
                              Do you plan to use ethanol-free gas only?
                              Do you plan to put more than 50 hours per season on the motor?

If yes to all, I would NOT buy it.
                              If no to two or more, buy it.

Motors that sit have more problems than those that get used.
                              2017 Tidewater 1910 Bay
                              2017 Evinrude 150ho (G1)

Comment

Working...
                              X