Hurrican Dorian: A first hand account from Marsh Harbor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The woman that wrote the blog was obviously very smart & literate as she documented these events. I am puzzled why anyone in a slow travelling boat, obviously retired would put themselves in the bahamas during the Peak of Hurricane season.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_Kurt View Post
      The woman that wrote the blog was obviously very smart & literate as she documented these events. I am puzzled why anyone in a slow travelling boat, obviously retired would put themselves in the bahamas during the Peak of Hurricane season.
      Why didn't they leave when they had advance notice?
      2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
      Mobile, Al.
      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post

Why didn't they leave when they had advance notice?
        That was my first thought. Understandably it didn’t build a lot of strength until it was too late to get out, but even so, why would you want to sit out a category 1/2 in the Bahamas when Florida isn’t that far away? All of those islands are barely first world places in the nice parts. The slums are third world on their best days.

Comment

Wouda couda shouda. I guess most of us can say that about things we could have avoided but didn't. I know I can...Charlie
          Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mako runner View Post
            Wouda couda shouda. I guess most of us can say that about things we could have avoided but didn't. I know I can...Charlie
            Very true Charlie.. I certainly wasn't trying to besmirch them, just curious.. I have made a lot of mistakes, but I just don't think that would have been one of them.. If I were on an island, in the middle of the ocean and there was a chance of a hurricane, I'd pull anchor and be gone as soon as I had the fuel..

Who knows, maybe there was a reason.. Maybe they couldn't get the necessary fuel to make the trip??
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I think in this case they thought they took enough precautions but the storm was much worse than they expected...Charlie
              Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mako runner View Post
                I think in this case they thought they took enough precautions but the storm was much worse than they expected...Charlie
                Yeah, and maybe there was or could have been mechanical issues and they didn't want to take the chance.. All conjecture, but something like that would make sense.
                Mobile, Al.
                Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Idk? Seems they had all the time in the world to me.
                  We loaded to go, unloaded to stay, looong before that puppy was in the area
                  I don’t know exactly how far away they were but couldn’t have been more than 10-15 hours in a 9 knot trawler to FL and inland safety.
                  ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                  ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                  Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
                    Idk? Seems they had all the time in the world to me.
                    We loaded to go, unloaded to stay, looong before that puppy was in the area
                    I don’t know exactly how far away they were but couldn’t have been more than 10-15 hours in a 9 knot trawler to FL and inland safety.
                    It would take me 36 hrs. Didn't matter how you did it, 36 hrs, to GTC.
                    Engine Sales and Service
                    Ph +1 954.463.1515
                    Fx +1
                    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
                    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Working...
                    X