Aquasports??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquasports??

I saw that Aquasport is back in production.. The hull looks eerily similar to the older Hydra Sport hull.. Anyone have any info?? I looked and there is no information about the company that owns them.. Ebbtide Holdings.. I wonder if they purchased their old molds??

EDIT: Was able to find this: "Ebbtide acquired the Aquasport brand and boat molds from Hydra-Sports in 2015 and is building the boats at the Ebbtide facility in White Bluff, Tennessee."
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Idk. Last one I had was a 1993 or 1997 (can’t remember) 20’ with a 150hp Mariner. The one with the flip/flop cooler seat and graphics all over the side—think it was like a 200 Osprey??
    Always loved the brand but Aquasport, Mako, Robalo just aren't what they used to be, IMHO.....kinda sad.
    We used to run the Bay in one of the real Robalo 18’ footers that my buddy had, in just about anything.

No kidding, in ‘98 couldn’t find a decent CC around here anywhere so Jordan, then 8, and I took off to FL. All we had was Boat Trader and want ads back then so we circled all around FL looking for a boat. Valla said when y’all coming back and I told her when we had a boat. Finally found that Aquasport in Clearwater at a dealer around 2P on fourth day, did the sea trial, wrote a $11k check and headed this way.

It was funny because I had rolls of quarters so I could stop at phone booths to call on different ads. Valla had the only cell phone back then when they’d hammer you with minutes and roaming charges......remember those days!

Hey, we got it done and taught Jordan how to read a road map in the process!!
    ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
    ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
    Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
      Idk. Last one I had was a 1993 or 1997 (can’t remember) 20’ with a 150hp Mariner. The one with the flip/flop cooler seat and graphics all over the side—think it was like a 200 Osprey??
      Always loved the brand but Aquasport, Mako, Robalo just aren't what they used to be, IMHO.....kinda sad.
      We used to run the Bay in one of the real Robalo 18’ footers that my buddy had, in just about anything.

No kidding, in ‘98 couldn’t find a decent CC around here anywhere so Jordan, then 8, and I took off to FL. All we had was Boat Trader and want ads back then so we circled all around FL looking for a boat. Valla said when y’all coming back and I told her when we had a boat. Finally found that Aquasport in Clearwater at a dealer around 2P on fourth day, did the sea trial, wrote a $11k check and headed this way.

It was funny because I had rolls of quarters so I could stop at phone booths to call on different ads. Valla had the only cell phone back then when they’d hammer you with minutes and roaming charges......remember those days!

Yes, I remember those days.. "Car phones" that were in small bags.. LOL.. Funny you post that about the map.. I was just talking about that very subject yesterday.. How the younger generations can't read a map or an atlas.. I used to find my way to the most out of the way places using nothing but a map.. Same with boat electronics..

When I saw that hull (2020 Aquasport 2500 CC), I knew it was a Hydra sport hull.. I am intrigued.. Hmmm..
      Mobile, Al.
      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Have you been out in a new Robalo 18? Rides great on Lake Erie and has a deep enough hull to accommodate a useable portapot compartment which is very rare in the industry. It has a LIFETIME hull warranty, has kevlar in the hull as well as permaboard stringers encased in fiberglass. Top quality gelcoat as well. Chaparral has owned Robalo since 2002 and has won the national CSI award for11 years running. No it isn't a Pursuit or a Grady; but it isn't an entry level by far either. We have a 94 Robalo 23 trade in; it was made by US Marine/Brunswick and is de laminated throughout and that's what older Robalos were like. Your friend had one you liked and I get that, but I surely don't understand why you think they aren't up to snuff now; maybe you can explain?

Comment

Had not seen that they’d started building again. Ebb Tide bought the trademarks and remains several years ago. Then a Chinese investor bought the group, and the whole thing went dormant for some reason. Richard Anderson, a long time Rep in the industry was running it. Haven’t seen him in a while - not sure if he’s still involved or has move on.

Yes, they ended up with a lot of the Hydra-Sports molds. Those molds traveled from the GENMAR bankruptcy, to the Mastercraft ownership years, and became redundant when the De Le Torre family rebranded H/S to the current large custom boats. Not uncommon. You’d be surprised at the tooling that has migrated over the years.

Hope they are successful coming back in the scene.

Comment

As for the ups and downs of the brands of our youth, be careful with the rose colored glasses. Times change, markets change, consumer tastes change, and smart business people change to meet the times.
            I sold Robalo’s In the good old days - given a choice, I’d take a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Design59 View Post
              Had not seen that they’d started building again. Ebb Tide bought the trademarks and remains several years ago. Then a Chinese investor bought the group, and the whole thing went dormant for some reason. Richard Anderson, a long time Rep in the industry was running it. Haven’t seen him in a while - not sure if he’s still involved or has move on.

Yes, they ended up with a lot of the Hydra-Sports molds. Those molds traveled from the GENMAR bankruptcy, to the Mastercraft ownership years, and became redundant when the De Le Torre family rebranded H/S to the current large custom boats. Not uncommon. You’d be surprised at the tooling that has migrated over the years.

Hope they are successful coming back in the scene.
              Me too.. I LOVE the Hydra Sport hull.. That is the only brand I had owned up until my Tidewater.. And, that is because they stopped making them..
              Mobile, Al.
              Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by erie skipper View Post

Have you been out in a new Robalo 18? Rides great on Lake Erie and has a deep enough hull to accommodate a useable portapot compartment which is very rare in the industry. It has a LIFETIME hull warranty, has kevlar in the hull as well as permaboard stringers encased in fiberglass. Top quality gelcoat as well. Chaparral has owned Robalo since 2002 and has won the national CSI award for11 years running. No it isn't a Pursuit or a Grady; but it isn't an entry level by far either. We have a 94 Robalo 23 trade in; it was made by US Marine/Brunswick and is de laminated throughout and that's what older Robalos were like. Your friend had one you liked and I get that, but I surely don't understand why you think they aren't up to snuff now; maybe you can explain?

Obviously a poor choice of words. I realize that material and technology has advanced significantly over the years, for the better. How about, as many other brands do also, it’s just a different ride than the boats of yesteryear. Here, they just don’t have the reputation like they used to. With that said, seems there are many-many more builders in that arena compared to the 80’s & 90’s

Yes, I’ve been on late model Robalo’s, as well as many other brands. To me, the aforementioned brands just don’t have the same appeal they once did. Would I own one, certainly, if I was in that market.
                ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Back in the day, Mako vs. Aquasport was like "chevy vs. ford". But Aquasports always had a very flat deadrise so were harder riding boats

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_Kurt View Post
                    Back in the day, Mako vs. Aquasport was like "chevy vs. ford". But Aquasports always had a very flat deadrise so were harder riding boats
                    Yep..
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Chartered a restored 222 Flatback out of Marco Island two winters ago. What a boat.....anyone know who owns that mold now?

Comment

Working...
                      X