Boat buying scam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat buying scam.

We have all heard of the, " I will pay more than your asking, wait for check to clear, and I will send someone to pick up --------".
    Well, we got a call today from Minnesota. Guy was selling a bote for $1500, he received a check from US, for $6500.00 He felt it was a scam and called us.
    So, we got lucky, guy was honest.
    They wouldn't have cashed the check anyway, but, someone would have.
    Law of averages.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
      We have all heard of the, " I will pay more than your asking, wait for check to clear, and I will send someone to pick up --------".
      Well, we got a call today from Minnesota. Guy was selling a bote for $1500, he received a check from US, for $6500.00 He felt it was a scam and called us.
      So, we got lucky, guy was honest.
      They wouldn't have cashed the check anyway, but, someone would have.
      Law of averages.
      Please explain this scam to me
      ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
      ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Please explain this scam to me
        We had another yesterday, from Michigan.
        The way it has been presented to me, when I sell stuff is.
        They will send a check for more than the amount I am asking for, when they check clears, the item I am selling is there's and the xtra money is mine.
        I suppose it I was an idiot, I would also give them my item before the check clears.
        They get item, I get money, everyone wins, except who's check it was, and the bank.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

K

We had another yesterday, from Michigan.
          The way it has been presented to me, when I sell stuff is.
          They will send a check for more than the amount I am asking for, when they check clears, the item I am selling is there's and the xtra money is mine.
          I suppose it I was an idiot, I would also give them my item before the check clears.
          They get item, I get money, everyone wins, except who's check it was, and the bank.
          It’s amazing these scams people invent.
          As I found out when my Dad was sick, their phone rang half the day with scammers just preying on old people.
          Not to mention phishing shiaat all the time.

Had to stop Valla from going to mailbox.
          She’d say “one of our little stocks (she inherited from her mom) said we didn’t cash a $2 dividend check. They want me to fill out this form”. Every bit of personal info you could think of was requested.

’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
          ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
          Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

I work at a financial institution and here's the hitch. That fake check might clear your bank, but when it gets back to the originating bank (who was falsified) it will be denied. Then the bank at which you deposited will be coming back to you to say, this was a fraudulent check and they will expect their $ back from YOU. So only the scammer wins. You lose the asset and the cash.

The best protection is cash. If you receive a certified check from a local bank, even if you don't have an account there, take it to them to verify. If it's out of state, call them and give them all the numbers at the bottom of the check. They will tell you if it's legit or not.

The elderly are scammed everyday. It's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by hi_c View Post
              I work at a financial institution and here's the hitch. That fake check might clear your bank, but when it gets back to the originating bank (who was falsified) it will be denied. Then the bank at which you deposited will be coming back to you to say, this was a fraudulent check and they will expect their $ back from YOU. So only the scammer wins. You lose the asset and the cash.

The best protection is cash. If you receive a certified check from a local bank, even if you don't have an account there, take it to them to verify. If it's out of state, call them and give them all the numbers at the bottom of the check. They will tell you if it's legit or not.

The elderly are scammed everyday. It's sad.
              Even in Old SoFla, Cash is not always "Real".
              I do it on small transactions, or with people I know, and a "pen".
              Large stuff, wire transfer.

Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Even in Old SoFla, Cash is not always "Real".
                I do it on small transactions, or with people I know, and a "pen".
                Large stuff, wire transfer.
                Funny story. Billy Carroll is a black undertaker in town, real nice guy. Several years ago there was a Haitian killed in an accident while up here pulling sweet corn. Billy got the body and prepared it for transport back to Haiti. They paid him in $100 bills. Billy likes to gamble and frequented Biloxi pretty regularly. He goes and gets him some chips and is at a table playing. Two big guys in black suits come up and lay a hand on each of Billy's shoulders and tell him "Mr. Carroll, you need to come with us". Yep the $100 were fake. Billy is well off enough that he made everything right and went back to playing. I would have loved to have seen Billy's face when them two walked up and grabbed him per say.
                Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Working...
                X