The story of two boats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The story of two boats.

Over on TOS, two threads, both with boats on the "hard".
    Interesting reading the comments on both.
    One boat it was everyone's fault but the boat and the captain.
    The other boat, it was the captains and boats fault.
    Hmmmmm.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
    Over on TOS, two threads, both with boats on the "hard".
    Interesting reading the comments on both.
    One boat it was everyone's fault but the boat and the captain.
    The other boat, it was the captains and boats fault.
    Hmmmmm.
    I read the Sea Pro thread- what is the other brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Halkman26 View Post

I read the Sea Pro thread- what is the other brand?
      Never mind - it’s the SH(unter) thread I believe.....

Comment

BW and FM.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Y’all got to start linking me to that stuff
          ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
          ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
          Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...y-freeman.html
            https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...a-del-rey.html
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Interesting.. Curious how the Freeman ended up trying to clear land with that Cat.. The Whaler, must have happened at night.. I think it said 21:30 it happened.. Not familiar with the area and operating at night.. Bad combo.. Maybe it happened to both? Although I would expect the Freeman to have radar..
              2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
              Mobile, Al.
              Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post
                Interesting.. Curious how the Freeman ended up trying to clear land with that Cat.. The Whaler, must have happened at night.. I think it said 21:30 it happened.. Not familiar with the area and operating at night.. Bad combo.. Maybe it happened to both? Although I would expect the Freeman to have radar..
                Driving boats at night takes a different type of skill level.
                Driving larger boats FAST at night safety is in an whole different skill level.
                Driving larger boats FAST at night in tight quearters safety is in an whole different skill level.
                Radar, and radar at night, as with a MFD, in close quarters is not easy, especially if you are going fast, at night.
                I have driven large vessels at night, slow and fast.One was an 80' that did 50 MPH, it took three (3) people to do it safely.
                One to drive.
                One on constant watch outside the helm.
                One on radar.
                Having one person, driving in restricted visibility, at speed is a challenge, for the best of drivers. It takes 100% of your concentration, 100% of the time.

Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Driving boats at night takes a different type of skill level.
                  Driving larger boats FAST at night safety is in an whole different skill level.
                  Driving larger boats FAST at night in tight quearters safety is in an whole different skill level.
                  Radar, and radar at night, as with a MFD, in close quarters is not easy, especially if you are going fast, at night.
                  I have driven large vessels at night, slow and fast.One was an 80' that did 50 MPH, it took three (3) people to do it safely.
                  One to drive.
                  One on constant watch outside the helm.
                  One on radar.
                  Having one person, driving in restricted visibility, at speed is a challenge, for the best of drivers. It takes 100% of your concentration, 100% of the time.
                  Great insight.. I am NOT comfortable boating by myself at night.. Most uncomfortable I have ever been in my boat was a night run, at no wake speeds, from our rental house to the boat launch.. Man a live.. Couldn't see a single thing.. Every source of light is magnified.. That is why I prefer red at night; much easier on the eyes.. But anyway, I thought I would never get to that launch.. It changed my perspective on night boating forever..
                  Mobile, Al.
                  Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Great insight.. I am NOT comfortable boating by myself at night.. Most uncomfortable I have ever been in my boat was a night run, at no wake speeds, from our rental house to the boat launch.. Man a live.. Couldn't see a single thing.. Every source of light is magnified.. That is why I prefer red at night; much easier on the eyes.. But anyway, I thought I would never get to that launch.. It changed my perspective on night boating forever..
                    Your eyes, no matter how dim the MFD/Radar is, cannot adjust and see well enough from Radar/MFD to outside. They just can't. And steering by radar alone, is just a very bad idea in tight quarters, unless its a dead idle, and you know where heading up is.
                    Like I said, a whole different skill set.
                    When I drive at night, for the most part, there is not a light on, anywhere. Yea, I use nav lights, because I have to, but they blind me, particularly when its REALLY dark out.
                    Engine Sales and Service
                    Ph +1 954.463.1515
                    Fx +1

[email protected]
                    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Your eyes, no matter how dim the MFD/Radar is, cannot adjust and see well enough from Radar/MFD to outside. They just can't. And steering by radar alone, is just a very bad idea in tight quarters, unless its a dead idle, and you know where heading up is.
                      When I drive at night, for the most part, there is not a light on, anywhere. Yea, I use nav lights, because I have to, but they blind me, particularly when its REALLY dark out.
                      I have thought about getting radar, for no other reason than to be something to help me be more comfortable at night.. At least I could see big, stationary objects..
                      Mobile, Al.
                      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I have thought about getting radar, for no other reason than to be something to help me be more comfortable at night.. At least I could see big, stationary objects..
                        Don't get me wrong, radar is a valuable if used properly, but it is not a save all.
                        When people post of boats having radars that hit breakwalls and such, it is pretty easy to do, if you do not know how and when to use radar, OR,
                        TO LOOK OUTSIDE THE COCKPIT.
                        Radar is a supplement.
                        Engine Sales and Service
                        Ph +1 954.463.1515
                        Fx +1

[email protected]
                        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Don't get me wrong, radar is a valuable if used properly, but it is not a save all.
                          When people post of boats having radars that hit breakwalls and such, it is pretty easy to do, if you do not know how and when to use radar, OR,
                          TO LOOK OUTSIDE THE COCKPIT.
                          Radar is a supplement.
                          I agree 100%.. One has to wonder how someone becomes so comfortable, in an unknown area, that they just lose all knowledge of boating at night.. Assuming of course that they possess that knowledge to begin with.. I know I wouldn't try it..
                          Mobile, Al.
                          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Yes, me too. No noise either. If someone is hauling A$$ my way I’d like to be able to hear so I at least have a chance to get out of the way.
                            ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                            ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                            Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

There is an app for that, I think. I have a preset on my chartplotter that splits the screen. On the right side is a radar overlay of the GPS with a warning zone set for one mile. On the left is the FLIR. I also always use my autopilot at night and in the fog (FLIR is not very helpful in fog but better than nothing) I feel very comfortable with this setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X