I need help in Bimini with a motor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help in Bimini with a motor issue

I have twin 200 I4 motors they are 2013 model. I just came back from cruising around bimini and was going to back fishing. When I started the engines the port motor wouldn't start but the starboard motor would start no problem. There aren't any trouble codes being sent. I did put the boat on the charger just now to see if that the starting battery for the port motor was low somehow. The tilt works on both motors and I can hear the fuel pump on the port motor spinning but it won't start. THOUGHTS PLEASE!

The motor won't even turn over.

Comment

Hang tight, I’ll text Ole
      ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
      ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Merc V8’s on order
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Ole going to get on here. You have phone or WhatsApp? To communicate with him?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfercross View Post
          I have twin 200 I4 motors they are 2013 model. I just came back from cruising around bimini and was going to back fishing. When I started the engines the port motor wouldn't start but the starboard motor would start no problem. There aren't any trouble codes being sent. I did put the boat on the charger just now to see if that the starting battery for the port motor was low somehow. The tilt works on both motors and I can hear the fuel pump on the port motor spinning but it won't start. THOUGHTS PLEASE!
          Call me or text me. 50c a text.
          954 232 2127

Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Won't start or won't crank over?
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Good job Ole, I read it be be fuel pump turning , motor not turning over, I'm probably not helping but mean well!
              Go Ole, Go SC!
              BWP

Comment

I did speak to Ole and he is helping me. I can't say how much I appreciate the fact that he is willing to help me diagnose my problem.

After some further investigation it appears that the starter gear was stuck in the up position on the fly wheel. I took the starter off and the it was pretty warm to the touch. I reinstalled the starter and tried to start it again and the solenoid engaged the flywheel but wouldn't turn over. I triple checked all the grounds to see if there was corrosion or possibly loose. I am going to put the charger on the boat overnight and hope that maybe since the starter was stuck in the up position that maybe it overheated it and it needs to cool down. Super long shot however.

Comment

Great, thus far, hope a fully charged battery helps!
                  Praying for you, my God is big!
                  Kevin

Comment

I did speak to Ole and he is helping me. I can't say how much I appreciate the fact that he is willing to help me diagnose my problem.

After some further investigation it appears that the starter gear was stuck in the up position on the fly wheel. I took the starter off and the it was pretty warm to the touch. I reinstalled the starter and tried to start it again and the solenoid engaged the flywheel but wouldn't turn over. I triple checked all the grounds to see if there was corrosion or possibly loose. I am going to put the charger on the boat overnight and hope that maybe since the starter was stuck in the up position that maybe it overheated it and it needs to cool down. Super long shot however.
                    Two things:
                    Either the starter engaged and is now toast, but I would think you would smell that.
                    Or.
                    The battery is dead and can't push the starter.
                    Battery parallel?
                    Or jumper cables straight to the starter post from a different battery?
                    Engine Sales and Service
                    Ph +1 954.463.1515
                    Fx +1

[email protected]
                    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

Two things:
                      Either the starter engaged and is now toast, but I would think you would smell that.
                      Or.
                      The battery is dead and can't push the starter.
                      Battery parallel?
                      Or jumper cables straight to the starter post from a different battery?
                      No pull rope under the cowling like there used to be..............,.?
                      In our younger days, we’d rather spend money on gas and beer. Heck, we’ll just hand crank the 140 JohnRude so no need to worry about a battery.
                      Bilge pump was get going and pull out plug, drain, replace, repeat as necessary

Comment

This is what happened to my VF250 SHO.. It turned out to be a bad starter..
                        2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
                        Mobile, Al.
                        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I got some jumper cables from the neighbors. Gonna jump the battery directly to the starter. The starter didn't have a burnt smell to it. I did the standard hit the starter with something hoping it might loosen it up and spin over. I will know in the morning. Hoping its still a bad ground. I am going to check all the grounds again and sand off any corrosion that's visible.
                          I have a switch to run the batteries in parallel and thats the first thing I tried.
                          I will update tomorrow.
                          Oh yeah I have the on board charger topping off the batteries so they will be good to go. I wish I had a multimeter with me to test all the connections.

Comment

I got some jumper cables from the neighbors. Gonna jump the battery directly to the starter. The starter didn't have a burnt smell to it. I did the standard hit the starter with something hoping it might loosen it up and spin over. I will know in the morning. Hoping its still a bad ground. I am going to check all the grounds again and sand off any corrosion that's visible.
                            I have a switch to run the batteries in parallel and thats the first thing I tried.
                            I will update tomorrow.
                            Oh yeah I have the on board charger topping off the batteries so they will be good to go. I wish I had a multimeter with me to test all the connections.
                            Just some information from my experience.. While I was troubleshooting my issue, I put the jump box directly to the starter.. When I did this, I believe it tripped the main 30 amp breaker for power to the boats main fuse block.. It took me a while to find it once the starter was replaced.. Who knew they'd put a breaker in the bilge area of the bote??? Anyway, be on the lookout for it to trip your breaker or potentially blow a fuse..

Good luck..
                            2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
                            Mobile, Al.
                            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

No pull rope under the cowling like there used to be..............,.?
                              In our younger days, we’d rather spend money on gas and beer. Heck, we’ll just hand crank the 140 JohnRude so no need to worry about a battery.
                              Bilge pump was get going and pull out plug, drain, replace, repeat as necessary
                              Lightwieghts.
                              We did an Evinrude 175 v6.
                              Engine Sales and Service
                              Ph +1 954.463.1515
                              Fx +1

[email protected]
                              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Working...
                              X