So what do we think of the new Evinrude I-3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Many good points being discussed.... with civility. On paper and on the water, my G1 150 is better than the competition. The power to weight ratio, the low-end torque (where it counts most), the low maintenance, the lower price, and the 8 year warranty sealed the deal for me. I think if more people had the choice in front of them like I did, Evinrude would be gaining share quickly regardless of the number of power strokes. People don't care about 2 vs 4. They want it to work for their intended purpose.

    So yes, Yamaha has done an excellent job of working with boat builders to create a "power matched" brand. However, it's still just marketing and shrewd business management. Good for them.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Design59 View Post
      a well built answer to a question not being asked.
      And this is my point.. What answer have they provided? To what question, that isn't being asked?

      Cleaner: check
      More powerful: check
      More fuel efficient: check
      Cheaper to use: check
      Less maintenance: check
      Better out of the box warranty: Check
      No break in: check
      Cheaper to purchase: check (from what I have seen)

      Seems to me that if anyone was REALLY interested in the things that they (outboard enthusiast) say matter, the G2 would raise some eyebrows.. Instead, your response is basically the same response coming from the entire industry.. All I have done is ask why?To me, doesn't make sense..

      I truly feel that if customers were given the FACTS and comparative information about their options, a lot more people would choose that technology than are choosing it now.. They don't choose it because they do not know about it.. Whether that is Evinrude's fault or cosmic beings (), I do not know.. All I know is, if I were given a choice, truly shown the data, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the G2 over the Yamaha..

      Why isn't that question being asked?

      ​​​​​​​And by the way, I appreciate the civil discussion.. I truly respect your opinion..

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by hi_c View Post
        Many good points being discussed.... with civility. On paper and on the water, my G1 150 is better than the competition. The power to weight ratio, the low-end torque (where it counts most), the low maintenance, the lower price, and the 8 year warranty sealed the deal for me. I think if more people had the choice in front of them like I did, Evinrude would be gaining share quickly regardless of the number of power strokes. People don't care about 2 vs 4. They want it to work for their intended purpose.

        So yes, Yamaha has done an excellent job of working with boat builders to create a "power matched" brand. However, it's still just marketing and shrewd business management. Good for them.
        Yep.. Pretty much my thoughts as well..

        Comment


        • #34
          All good points; bottom line is that Evinrude isn't doing the marketing and isn't sending reps out to builders or dealers, haven't seen one or heard from one in years. If they wish to reverse the trend they need to get to work. As to Merc Optimax; it appears to me they have all but abandoned the product; in fact I'm not even certain--and I'm in the industry--if they still build the Optimax or not--we aren't a Brunswick dealer other than inboard and I/O

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by erie skipper View Post
            All good points; bottom line is that Evinrude isn't doing the marketing and isn't sending reps out to builders or dealers, haven't seen one or heard from one in years. If they wish to reverse the trend they need to get to work. As to Merc Optimax; it appears to me they have all but abandoned the product; in fact I'm not even certain--and I'm in the industry--if they still build the Optimax or not--we aren't a Brunswick dealer other than inboard and I/O
            Yes, I haven't seen any "new" optimax motors in years..And, I agree.. If they want to move product, they must invest in moving it..

            Comment


            • #36
              To me it’s a marketing issue at BRP, not a choice issue with boat builders. When BRP convinces the public that this is what they want, then we will adjust to the market.

              The X factor in this is that the consumer generally buys what he wants, not what he should buy, what is the smartest to buy, nor what makes the most financial sense.
              I spent most of my life in Florida. Temperatures range from hot, to hotter, to Oh My God. Anyone with good sense would buy a white car. It reflects heat and doesn’t show the dirt. But for decades I’ve driven all black trucks. Makes no sense other than I like them so I buy them.

              The last factor we or we leave out is . . . Only a small percentage of boat buyers really care what is on the transom. To the thinking buyer the G-2 is great. To much of the market it’s the boat I like, the color I want, and the significant other has agreed to the purchase. It’s a YamaMercZuki? Ok, I hear their good.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Design59 View Post
                To me it’s a marketing issue at BRP, not a choice issue with boat builders. When BRP convinces the public that this is what they want, then we will adjust to the market.

                The X factor in this is that the consumer generally buys what he wants, not what he should buy, what is the smartest to buy, nor what makes the most financial sense.
                I spent most of my life in Florida. Temperatures range from hot, to hotter, to Oh My God. Anyone with good sense would buy a white car. It reflects heat and doesn’t show the dirt. But for decades I’ve driven all black trucks. Makes no sense other than I like them so I buy them.

                The last factor we or we leave out is . . . Only a small percentage of boat buyers really care what is on the transom. To the thinking buyer the G-2 is great. To much of the market it’s the boat I like, the color I want, and the significant other has agreed to the purchase. It’s a YamaMercZuki? Ok, I hear their good.
                Excellent post.. And I agree..

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Design59 View Post
                  To me it’s a marketing issue at BRP, not a choice issue with boat builders. When BRP convinces the public that this is what they want, then we will adjust to the market.

                  The X factor in this is that the consumer generally buys what he wants, not what he should buy, what is the smartest to buy, nor what makes the most financial sense.
                  I spent most of my life in Florida. Temperatures range from hot, to hotter, to Oh My God. Anyone with good sense would buy a white car. It reflects heat and doesn’t show the dirt. But for decades I’ve driven all black trucks. Makes no sense other than I like them so I buy them.

                  The last factor we or we leave out is . . . Only a small percentage of boat buyers really care what is on the transom. To the thinking buyer the G-2 is great. To much of the market it’s the boat I like, the color I want, and the significant other has agreed to the purchase. It’s a YamaMercZuki? Ok, I hear their good.
                  I like black cars, I live in Florida.
                  Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1
                  954.463.4904
                  Toll Free: 800.622.6747

                  oparker@parkeryacht.com
                  www.parkeryacht.com

                  Member of the MSHS Group

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

                    I like black cars, I live in Florida.
                    LOL.. I see what you did there..

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Yes, Ole and I both drive black trucks in the heat , but we’ve also spent our lives in the boat biz, so everyone already knows we’re not too bright. 😎

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Design59 View Post
                        Yes, Ole and I both drive black trucks in the heat , but we’ve also spent our lives in the boat biz, so everyone already knows we’re not too bright. 😎
                        Well, if it's any consolation to you or Ole, I am in Mobile, Al.. Which is just south of HELL on the heat gauge.. I have a dark grey truck.. My daughter has a black car.. My wife has a "slate/granite" grey SUV.. So, I am not much brighter.. Only "a shade more", maybe.. LOL..

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Here’s what I think; when most consumers think of 2-stroke they only relate to engines that have been around for the last 50 years. With that perception, they are not interested in these motors and prefer new 4-stroke technology.

                          As mentioned, the lack of marketing (or minimal at best) on these newer Evinrude’s has not influenced enough consumers to consider one because they still only relate to the 2-strokes of the past.

                          Consumer confidence is in Yamaha & Mercury 4-strokes (I’m talking 250+ horsepower) and in Suzuki for repowers mainly due to price of like horsepower motors. Suzuki got some new transoms in past 18 months but I believe much of that was due to Yamaha availability which in turn created a Mercury supply issue.

                          It may be a great motor, but they’re not flying off the shelves because we, the consumer, have not been educated enough. I wouldn’t buy one because I don’t know enough about them, plus there are not many dealers/shops who can work on them which creates a whole other problem relating to sales.

                          I would yield to cpflaum since he put them on his new Sailfish
                          ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
                          '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
                          '18 Fountain 38 - sold
                          ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Design59 View Post
                            To me it’s a marketing issue at BRP, not a choice issue with boat builders. When BRP convinces the public that this is what they want, then we will adjust to the market.

                            The X factor in this is that the consumer generally buys what he wants, not what he should buy, what is the smartest to buy, nor what makes the most financial sense.
                            I spent most of my life in Florida. Temperatures range from hot, to hotter, to Oh My God. Anyone with good sense would buy a white car. It reflects heat and doesn’t show the dirt. But for decades I’ve driven all black trucks. Makes no sense other than I like them so I buy them.

                            The last factor we or we leave out is . . . Only a small percentage of boat buyers really care what is on the transom. To the thinking buyer the G-2 is great. To much of the market it’s the boat I like, the color I want, and the significant other has agreed to the purchase. It’s a YamaMercZuki? Ok, I hear their good.
                            I say excellent post as well except, from my experience locally, a very large percentage of buyers ask for Yamaha by name and I have yet to have anyone come in asking for anything else. Even when I was involved with Whaler for a short time several years back, people would ask if they could order one with a Yamaha instead. And I must say that in the midwest it has a lot to do with what people see on transoms on the coast and in Fla. I've often been told that all you see down south is Yamaha; and from my experience down there I must concur.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Damn, Black truck here, it must be one of the requirements to get in here. TT hit the nail on the head about people relating two strokes to the engines of yesteryear. A few weeks ago B and I was finally able to slip off for a weekend. It was the annual river run down to Apalachicola. We drove down (my old 2 stroke is acting up) and met them at the fishing lodge where we all stay. Late Saturday some of us were sitting at the dock shooting the breeze. A fellow unloaded and backed his boat around to a slip. The man sitting next to me said "listen to that 4 stroke, you can't even hear it running". It was a G2. I told him that it was a 2 stroke. He probably looked it up later cause he sho didn't want to believe me.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Slough View Post
                                It was the annual river run down to Apalachicola.... It was a G2...
                                A G2 in Florida!?

                                Comment


                                • cpflaum
                                  cpflaum commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I am seeing more of them, especially on the bigger boats. A 39 Yellowfin blew by me a few weeks ago, quad G2 300s. These sightings are regularly becoming more common. I no longer feel alone.
                              Working...
                              X