Does anyone collect antique outboard motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone collect antique outboard motors?

I have always loved to look at old antique outboard motors and am thinking about starting a collection of them. I want to keep them in my house so I will need to remove any gas and oil smell but not sure how difficult this is to do. if you are a collector how do you display them, and how do you remove all of the petroleum smell from the motors? I don't plan to ever run them again so I am only interested in displaying them.

If you collect them I would love to see some pictures.

I don't myself, but know a couple guys who are experts at it. One of them has since retired and moved but he used to clean them up and completely refinish. They were sold as high end furnishings for lake homes, so they were hung in man caves, rec rooms, restaurants and such. He was "Hot Boat Charlie's" in Leo, Indiana but has since moved to Florida.

Another one is actually part of a boat dealership in Angola, Indiana Dry Dock Marine Restorations, Terry Archbold. Here is a link to their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DryDockFibe...dRestorations/ What they do is amazing. He has an enormous stash of old outboards and actively restores them.
    Sanibel FL
    2015 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer "Someday"

Comment

Wow now that is a collection! Thanks for posting the FB link.

Comment

Originally posted by russh View Post
        Wow now that is a collection! Thanks for posting the FB link.
        Terry A is also the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Classic small family run business. I bought my boats from them when we lived in NE Indiana. If you're ever traveling down I69 off the toll road its only about 3 miles south.
        Sanibel FL
        2015 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer "Someday"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190707_192628.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	60736

I do! But not on purpose!.

1987 Evinrude 48 SPL, 1978 Evinrude 15, 2003 BRO 150 Looper 25 inch.

In my very cool backyard!
          More like a clean junkyard.
          BWP

Comment

Russh,

If you plan on collecting or just want to learn more about old outboards, be sure to visit the site and join if you wish, the Antique Outboard Club - www.aomci.org

Comment

• cpflaum
              cpflaum commented
              Editing a comment
              Is this the Evinrude guru Seahorse?

I have a bit of a collection of old motors about 40 plus of them in total in various places . I have about a dozen in my basement and I can't smell them. Of course they haven't run in a while the gas smell fades away in time...Charlie
            Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

Working...
            X