Boat lists on plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat lists on plane

I've owned my boat for 2 years now. A little thing that has always bugged me is the boat has a slight list to port when I'm on plane, even when it's just me and the wife in the boat and she's sitting in front of the console and i'm behind it.

I don't think it's a weight imbalance. The trolling batts are centered in the center console, the starting battery is rear starboard, and a 1.8G oil reservoir is on the rear port side. So if anything, the starboard side is heavier. My remaining suspect is the thru hull water pick up for the live wells is 6" left of the center line. Is this causing my list? Apart from trim tabs, what can i do to address this minor issue?

Thanks,

My boat does that too. I think it is pretty common on single outboards with a V bottom to some degree. I think it has to do with prop torque and trim angle seems to affect it. I am sure someone here knows more about it than me and can explain it better...Charlie

Comment

Take the pen from it so it has to communicate in another form!
      I agree with Charlie above, single engine application, torque steer, and you have torque!
      I'm trying to be funny, hope this is.
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Mako runner View Post
        My boat does that too. I think it is pretty common on single outboards with a V bottom to some degree. I think it has to do with prop torque and trim angle seems to affect it. I am sure someone here knows more about it than me and can explain it better...Charlie
        Pretty well hits it.
        Either trim tabs or have your wife slide to stb.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

So if it's torque steer, i can adjust the motor-mounted trim tab, correct? Because it's at 12 o'clock position right now and probably not doing a thing. Move the fin to the starboard when looking at from behind, right?

Comment

Do you trim the motor up when running?

Running a single engine boat with the motor trimmed all the way down, will definitely make the boat list to port. (if you have a standard rotation motor)
            I often run into this issue with boats that have porpoising issues, the guy has to run with the motor trimmed down all the way so it doesn't porpoise, but the side effect is the boat leans to port.

This can be caused by a combination of issues. a change in that trim anode position, prop, engine height may help solve it. just depends on the specific setup.

What boat, what motor, how are you trimming the motor when up on plane?
            what happens if you trim higher?

Ken Reeves
            KR@Propgods.com
            941-735-5808

Comment

On my boat I can trim the motor in or out and find a spot that lessens the list a bit. That and loading the starboard side heavier than the port helps...Charlie

Comment

Another complication is that any vee-bottom hull will tend to lean into the wind when on the plane. So if you've got the wind on your port beam the hull will tend to lean to port; if the wind is on your starboard beam and you normally lean to port as discussed above, the wind-on-beam effect may counter the lean.
                Jupiter 31FS / Verado 300s in Fiji - V8's on order
                Haines 2100SO / Verado 300 Pro in NZ

Comment

2017 Tidewater 1910
                  2017 ETEC 150ho G1
                  Motor is mounted in highest position and runs perfectly with water pressure and engine temps. I don’t have a porpoise problem and trim the motor way up on plane. It goes away if I’m really moving at like 5k rpms and up but lists pretty good at cruise 3.5-4.5k.

Comment

If the RPM is affecting the lateral balance - it's prop torque. You might want to try a lower rake prop. Go talk to Ken The Prop God
                    Jupiter 31FS / Verado 300s in Fiji - V8's on order
                    Haines 2100SO / Verado 300 Pro in NZ

Comment

I have a Tidewater 230 CC and when my motor is trimmed l down, it will do that as well.. What Charlie said pretty much describes what I have learned..

Comment

Working...
                      X