Yamaha Corrosion Concerns - Internal Zinc Replacements?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously doubt this is stray current. There multiple isolated corrosion examples in this engine. Stray current would attack everything uniformly and quickly. This isn't fast enough for stray current.
    Barefoot Boats
    contact@barefoot-boats.com
    (386)256-6977

Comment

Originally posted by finsleft258 View Post

Are the batteries bonded to the rest of the boat?
      I honestly don't know - I've reached out to my Boat partner for help with this as he's the DIYer in our partnership - I just operate the shop vac and hold things for him as he drills

He installed all our electronics (including Night camera) and the Rhodan/batteries/charger....

Comment

You need Finsleft258 on this, he is the Ben Franklin here.
        But, I still question how your charge the 36v batteries.
        Unless there is three (3), totally separate from the rest of the bote, you are utilizing the engine battery somehow, which ties it all together.
        Finsleft?
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
          You need Finsleft258 on this, he is the Ben Franklin here.
          But, I still question how your charge the 36v batteries.
          Unless there is three (3), totally separate from the rest of the bote, you are utilizing the engine battery somehow, which ties it all together.
          Finsleft?
          Correct. I'm assuming they are completely separate from the engine.

Halkman, can you get some pics of the anodes?? Those are really what I need. As far as the corrosion inside the engine, that should be considered separate from that occurring on the outside (think of it as a different body of water). As Ole indicated, it's either getting dunked or you have a weeping gasket.

When the boat is in the water, is the trim motor submerged?
          Barefoot Boats
          (386)256-6977

Comment

See responses received by email from my boat partner (I linked him this thread but he's not a member). Most of this is Greek to me (and I am Greek!!!!).

Three group 31 batteries for the trolling motor are mounted in series providing 36v. They are directly connected to the Rhodan trolling but are also switched using a 50 amp circut breaker, and a switch that is actually a solonoid. The solonoid is a 12v which is tied in to the standard switch panel on the dash of the boat. This is only on when the dash has power from the house battery of the boat, and the accessory switch is on. Other than described here, this system is completely isolated from the house system or the engine system. As described below, this system is off when the boat is at the dock by the switch being off but also because when the house system is off, the dash and accessory switch has no power to energize the trolling motor.

I did notice this season for the first time the bilge was very damp/wet. Commonly we keep it clean and dry and you can eat off the floor, literally. I have OCD and I am the guy that actually climbs in. Just noticed the batteries (engine and house) were wet as well as other items in the bilge. In fact I just began looking at engine room fans, just one, to set up on a timer to circulate air through the entire hull to keep everything dry. Unless the boat is being used, the main battery switches are always off.

The salt residue at the dip stick look to me like a leakage when the engine is hot as the water is evaporating leaving the residue. It is not level or level when the tilt would be up. If it were a splashing pool it would be in a different pattern.

The bushing washer/mount seems like it is at the water line so could be in the water and I didn't see that as a concern as someone recommended.

The top of the tilt cylinder seems premature and I do not think the paint was compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by finsleft258 View Post

Correct. I'm assuming they are completely separate from the engine.

Halkman, can you get some pics of the anodes?? Those are really what I need. As far as the corrosion inside the engine, that should be considered separate from that occurring on the outside (think of it as a different body of water). As Ole indicated, it's either getting dunked or you have a weeping gasket.

When the boat is in the water, is the trim motor submerged?
              Trim motor is only submerged while docked when it's super cold - we probably had it tilted down for 1 week this November before pulling Thanksgiving week. No other pics unfortunately other than what I included above...

Comment

Okay. It's not stray current. The wet bilge is just because the surface temperature of everything is below ambient, thus hitting the dew point. Time of wetness is a major contributor in corrosion; specifically corrosion in electrical systems. Air circulation and heating are the best methods to remedy.

The corrosion on the motor is general corrosion (galvanic). I still need to see what your anodes look like. If they are loaded up with calcium carbonate (hard white substance), they are not doing their job anymore.
                Barefoot Boats
                (386)256-6977

Comment

Has anyone seen an internal anodes on a Verado engine? I'll answer the question. Nope. Why? Merc doesn't use them. Don't see any on the new V8 Mercs either. Yamaha on the other hand......
                  Andrew Munao Jr
                  Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                  888-231-2392 | andyjr@shipyardisland.com | simyamaha.com

Comment

It has to do with coating performance and alloy selection.
                    Barefoot Boats
                    (386)256-6977

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
                      Has anyone seen an internal anodes on a Verado engine? I'll answer the question. Nope. Why? Merc doesn't use them. Don't see any on the new V8 Mercs either. Yamaha on the other hand......
                      Have you seen a V-8 Mercury? I tried to buy one and the man laughed....

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

https://public-mercurymarine.sysonli...=englangDB=eng

It's already on the parts catalog. You don't have to see it to confirm.
                        Barefoot Boats
                        (386)256-6977

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

Nope....maybe Ole has.
                          Andrew Munao Jr
                          Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                          888-231-2392 | andyjr@shipyardisland.com | simyamaha.com

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post

Nope....maybe Ole has.
                            I have seen them at the show.
                            Engine Sales and Service
                            Ph +1 954.463.1515
                            Fx +1
                            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment