V20 or is it V-20?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • V20 or is it V-20?

    Ole, any updates on the rebuild?

  • #2
    V20, I will post pics back on that thread.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    954.463.4904
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

    oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

    Member of the MSHS Group

    Comment


    • #3
      Actually depending on who:
      Step V20
      V20 Steplift
      Steplift V20

      And could be argued it and 232 maybe rank way up at the top for most popular hulls in history and both of them made famous by the same guy, Dick Genth
      Thunderbird Formula 232 when Mr Genth ran Thunderbird/Formula
      Step V20 when Mr Genth ran Wellcraft

      Leave it to me to make a simple question complicated, huh?

      Comment


      • #4
        The last few we sold in 95 were called "V20 Steplift" and had been for some time previously. All were outboard versions mostly with Johnrudes on the back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Comm. (VP) Mike Carrigan Sr. View Post

          Leave it to me to make a simple question complicated, huh?
          Boats, "P" (no, not that "P"), you can make a mountain out of a molehill, but, that is why we love you.

          https://www.bandofboaters.com/forum/...-rebuild/page3


          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          954.463.4904
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

          oparker@parkeryacht.com
          www.parkeryacht.com

          Member of the MSHS Group

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by erie skipper View Post
            The last few we sold in 95 were called "V20 Steplift" and had been for some time previously. All were outboard versions mostly with Johnrudes on the back.
            1995... Wouldn't that be the V21 steplift?
            Barefoot Boats
            contact@barefoot-boats.com
            (386)256-6977

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by finsleft258 View Post

              1995... Wouldn't that be the V21 steplift?
              The GenMar guys as they did elsewhere, took a great thing and fornicated it up

              For whatever reason some genius took a 100% winner, a boat everyone loved, and molded a bucket into the transom and changed the nomenclature to 21'
              Shortly thereafter the boat simply went away

              Another example of folks that dont know the pointed end from the square end running boat companies

              Comment


              • #8
                I will say one thing Mike, the amount of knowledge you have in that leetle head of yours amazes me.
                Quite the treasure trove.
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1
                954.463.4904
                Toll Free: 800.622.6747

                oparker@parkeryacht.com
                www.parkeryacht.com

                Member of the MSHS Group

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by finsleft258 View Post

                  1995... Wouldn't that be the V21 steplift?
                  You might be right; even though I believe we sold the last several that were ever built I truly don't remember 20 or 21.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by erie skipper View Post

                    You might be right; even though I believe we sold the last several that were ever built I truly don't remember 20 or 21.
                    Jimmie
                    The molded on a bustle, a bucket, on the square end and called it a 21'

                    I was at the Donzi plant down the street from the Wellcraft plant and stopped to see an old pal at Wellcraft
                    He told me the plans for the change with the V20 to the V21 and we both remarked how plain ass stupid it was
                    That change ended the V20 forever

                    I dont recall the yaer for certain but a fairly good guess would be maybe around 96 or so but it's hurts my brain to try to remember the date

                    When I was the SE rep for Wellcraft we had as you recall buying programs
                    When I had a reluctant prospect to sign with us and the prospect was white knuckles to committ for the dollars I'd just say:
                    "Ok, take the --------- program and just fill the dollars with V20's because you cant miss"



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Why was the change to the transom stupid? Serious question. How did it fundamentally alter the boat to kill its desirability?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Porscheguy View Post
                        Why was the change to the transom stupid? Serious question. How did it fundamentally alter the boat to kill its desirability?
                        The bustle, the bucket served no purpose purpose
                        Extending the motor out maybe 12 inches or so made zero impact on anything other than now it can be called 21' vs 20'
                        The hull was too small and too tender to extend a 400-500 pound motor out with no bottom change to the hull
                        The hull was as I recall 20'6" LOA
                        As I remember it 8' beam
                        It had alot of V which was a good thing but never designed to extend that much weight off the transom

                        The was some performance negative but not crucial

                        Only advantage was a marketing ploy 21' vs 20' and changed the appearance of a very famous hull

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Comm. (VP) Mike Carrigan Sr. View Post

                          The bustle, the bucket served no purpose purpose
                          Extending the motor out maybe 12 inches or so made zero impact on anything other than now it can be called 21' vs 20'
                          The hull was too small and too tender to extend a 400-500 pound motor out with no bottom change to the hull
                          The hull was as I recall 20'6" LOA
                          As I remember it 8' beam
                          It had alot of V which was a good thing but never designed to extend that much weight off the transom

                          The was some performance negative but not crucial

                          Only advantage was a marketing ploy 21' vs 20' and changed the appearance of a very famous hull
                          You jogged my memory Mike--yes it was 96 and yes it was 20-6. Hence the V21.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Porscheguy View Post
                            Why was the change to the transom stupid? Serious question. How did it fundamentally alter the boat to kill its desirability?
                            The hull was a true classic much like some others as the Formula 232, SeaCraft and the like
                            The boat sold in some pretty incredable numbers world wide and had an unshakable following
                            As a former Wellcraft dealer and as a former Wellcraft factory rep I can attest to the overwhelming popularity the hull enjoyed

                            So, a fella brought in from Bayliner under the GenMar banner decided the best thing to do was to change it

                            What's wrong with this picture?

                            The Bayliner guy I know and I like very much
                            A very good man
                            BUT........raised and nourished on more price sensitive and runabout mindset vs a V20 mindset
                            The change made to the V20 was a mistake

                            Keep in mind Wellcraft under the Bill Erickson sales leadership was shipping at it's peak one million dollars a day
                            Under the GenMar banner-Closed and shuttered

                            So in answer to your question I had a front row seat watching a trainwreck which included the total absurd change to an overwhelming popular hull

                            It's good to keep in mind that boats are a very personal kinda thing
                            They are not required to make any sense what so ever nor are the people commenting on them
                            Lots of opinions boat to boat
                            I offered mine

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X