Outboard Props, how they are made.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard Props, how they are made.

Might explain why they are hard to get and cost so much.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Cool

Comment

Ole'
      if you choke (as we all do) at the prices on recreational stuff, you'd the stuff we used in the racing world. Instead of casting them by the tens of thousand, they might cast each blank in lots of one hundred.

Then they are given a basic grind by hand. That's expensive step one. Then we hand them over to one of a handful of gurus for some expensive hand work. Then you test and "tune" on the wheel from there. Some yourself, some sending it back and forth to the guru.

then keep in mind that you had an array for different racecourses and different conditions. And when you got those one or two that were "perfect", they couldn't be exactly duplicated, and were sometimes right on the ragged edge fragile.

You might leave your your kid in the truck overnight by mistake, but your best wheels were secure in your hotel room.

Comment

Originally posted by Design59 View Post
        Ole'
        if you choke (as we all do) at the prices on recreational stuff, you'd the stuff we used in the racing world. Instead of casting them by the tens of thousand, they might cast each blank in lots of one hundred.

Then they are given a basic grind by hand. That's expensive step one. Then we hand them over to one of a handful of gurus for some expensive hand work. Then you test and "tune" on the wheel from there. Some yourself, some sending it back and forth to the guru.

then keep in mind that you had an array for different racecourses and different conditions. And when you got those one or two that were "perfect", they couldn't be exactly duplicated, and were sometimes right on the ragged edge fragile.

You might leave your your kid in the truck overnight by mistake, but your best wheels were secure in your hotel room.
        I know.
        Outboard (regular consumer) props are easy peasy, so to speak.
        I have spent countless hours, and $$$$$ working on customers props for say a Mangusta 80 with Arnesons and and 5 blade wheels. You have a "good" set and a "working" set, each made by the same manufacturer, and you have "one" guy that "works" them, one. Not one shop, ONE guy.
        Getting good props is an art.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Pfffffft those are the easy ones

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

I know.
              Outboard (regular consumer) props are easy peasy, so to speak.
              I have spent countless hours, and $$$$$ working on customers props for say a Mangusta 80 with Arnesons and and 5 blade wheels. You have a "good" set and a "working" set, each made by the same manufacturer, and you have "one" guy that "works" them, one. Not one shop, ONE guy.
              Getting good props is an art.
              Yup. I've got a "one guy".
              Very sought after dude. But he's known me since I was six, and got me involved in racing. And by extension my career in the marine industry. So I get him no waiting.
              Since I just left a dealer in the Hamptons, and am sitting on the ferry to Connecticut and a few days at the Norwalk boat show, not having eaten since I left North Carolina 13 hours ago . . . . I may want to do him harm!!! It's all his fault! I could have been an accountant!!!

Comment

Cool video. I wonder why they can't use lost foam casting technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Design59 View Post

Yup. I've got a "one guy".
                  Very sought after dude. But he's known me since I was six, and got me involved in racing. And by extension my career in the marine industry. So I get him no waiting.
                  Since I just left a dealer in the Hamptons, and am sitting on the ferry to Connecticut and a few days at the Norwalk boat show, not having eaten since I left North Carolina 13 hours ago . . . . I may want to do him harm!!! It's all his fault! I could have been an accountant!!!
                  I wish we had a list of the really good guys that actually know what they are doing when they modify them or repair them.
                  I use Rich Junker at Leading Edge.
                  Always heard good things about Mark Croxton, but I've never used him personally.

You guys got anyone good up north?

And does anyone have the elusive, "guy that is Good, knows what he's doing, AND answers the phone when called?

Ken Reeves
                  KR@Propgods.com
                  941-735-5808

Comment

Originally posted by ken2 View Post

I wish we had a list of the really good guys that actually know what they are doing when they modify them or repair them.
                    I use Rich Junker at Leading Edge.
                    Always heard good things about Mark Croxton, but I've never used him personally.

You guys got anyone good up north?

And does anyone have the elusive, "guy that is Good, knows what he's doing, AND answers the phone when called?
                    Honestly, it is prop specific.
                    We use different shops or "guys" for different props.
                    Engine Sales and Service
                    Ph +1 954.463.1515
                    Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

I can attest that Rich Junker doesn't answer phones or return calls. Ken warned me. I don't care how good he is . I will never call him again. I can tell you how powertech props are made. Like shit that's how. After two failures in 150 hours of use I am done with them. Rant over, have a great day !

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky Snooker View Post
                        I can attest that Rich Junker doesn't answer phones or return calls. Ken warned me. I don't care how good he is . I will never call him again. I can tell you how powertech props are made. Like shit that's how. After two failures in 150 hours of use I am done with them. Rant over, have a great day !
                        What are you running now?
                        Engine Sales and Service
                        Ph +1 954.463.1515
                        Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

I have a spare brand new PT OFX 3 on it and I am watching it very closely. When I do buy again I will probably get a Tempest. The spare I had bought ran 200-300 rpm less then the identical prop of theirs. They said that was acceptable. Nice guys but not impressed with their props. In my 45 years of running boats I never slung a prop. I slung a PT blade at 40 hours at sea. They agreed it had not hit anything and replaced it. That's the one that wont turn the rpm's. Bought another new PT OFX and kept the other for a spare. Now the new one was cracking. So I put the spare on and have to jack my plate up fairly high to get 5800 rpm's .

Comment

Working...
                          X