Why does wind change speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does wind change speed

Wind is basically caused by suction, that is, air movement from high pressure to lower pressure. So why is that not a constant velocity, or at least a linear change over time. Why do we have gusts? its not like there is a sudden difference in pressures. And why localized. The air around a hurricane is traveling in a counterclockwise direction. it can be hundreds of miles from the center creating the wind. So how is that center wind creator causing gusts of wind tens of miles per hour faster than the sustained winds? Why wouldnt they just mix together over time and distance to an average speed? You dont have gusts of prop wash and I dont think there are gusts in a whirlpool. So why in a hurricane, or any time for that matter?

My head hurts, you are making it think to hard.
    Google it, sure you will find many different explanations.

I will take one bit out of it though.
    I there are different "speeds or gusts" in propwash, everthing coming off the back of props is not always the same. I don't think.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by manitunc View Post
      Wind is basically caused by suction, that is, air movement from high pressure to lower pressure. So why is that not a constant velocity, or at least a linear change over time. Why do we have gusts? its not like there is a sudden difference in pressures. And why localized. The air around a hurricane is traveling in a counterclockwise direction. it can be hundreds of miles from the center creating the wind. So how is that center wind creator causing gusts of wind tens of miles per hour faster than the sustained winds? Why wouldnt they just mix together over time and distance to an average speed? You dont have gusts of prop wash and I dont think there are gusts in a whirlpool. So why in a hurricane, or any time for that matter?
      Guessing you couldn't sleep.

Comment

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/07/here...the-north.html

"But because the Coriolis is acting on it, as winds start moving toward the low-pressure area, they are diverted around, and they start spiraling into the center, so it takes much longer for the low pressure area to fill," Landsea said. "At the same time, that is drawing more moist air, and that causes more thunderstorms, and you get a big feedback process going on."

Ken Reeves
        KR@Propgods.com
        941-735-5808

Comment

Some of youse guys are using words I dont understand

Comment

My wife is pretty windy but she doesn't change speeds too much; pretty much 100mph

Comment

Originally posted by Slough View Post

Guessing you couldn't sleep.
              You guessed right.

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                My head hurts, you are making it think to hard.
                Google it, sure you will find many different explanations.

I will take one bit out of it though.
                I there are different "speeds or gusts" in propwash, everthing coming off the back of props is not always the same. I don't think.
                Made my head hurt too. Don't even know why it came to mind. And I wasn't even stoned!

Comment

Next time you can't sleep, come help me put our tent back up.
                  It sure came down easier.
                  7 guys, 7 hrs, 1 40' bucket lift, 1 forklift and a whole lotta pulling later, it is up.
                  Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1
                  Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                  www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Gimme a call.

Comment

Is wind cause by "suction" or by pressure differential?

Is there really a vacuum or is there just a lack of pressure?

Does the air speed of an airplane change if and when it is turned from going into the wind to going with the wind?

Does a piston "suck" air in or does air outside push its way in?

Why is the heat index stated in "degrees" when degrees are not a from of heat measurement?

When we say that we "pull" something don't we really mean that we just reach around to the back side of it and "push" it towards ourselves?

Why do we never "take" anything anywhere. We "bring" it instead. Bring me out to the ballgame, bring me out to the par", you can't bring it with you when you go, bring two pills and call the doctor in the morning,...

Why am I wasting my time on the computer again? And again. And again.

Comment

Lots of factors to this, many of which I don't know anything about, but at least a couple reasons are friction with the surface that changes speed vertically, combined with swirls and eddies due to surface friction and the shape of things like hills, buildings, and trees that cause mixing and speed changes, plus you've got temperature differentials that cause air in certain areas to want to rise or fall instead of just moving parallel to the surface, which not only creates new winds but also can cause stronger, higher level winds to drop to the surface. Things like thunderstorms can draw/push very strong upper level winds down to the surface.

Last year in Matthew the clouds overhead were racing but the winds on the surface were pretty light. This year Irma had lots of convection mixing winds that may not have been enormously stronger up high down to the surface (for my location, that is). End result was one storm was much worse on the ground than it might have been by measure up above.

think if it as stacked layers of movement with swirls and twirls within the big general movements and the small gusts make a little more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas 17 View Post
                          Lots of factors to this, many of which I don't know anything about, but at least a couple reasons are friction with the surface that changes speed vertically, combined with swirls and eddies due to surface friction and the shape of things like hills, buildings, and trees that cause mixing and speed changes, plus you've got temperature differentials that cause air in certain areas to want to rise or fall instead of just moving parallel to the surface, which not only creates new winds but also can cause stronger, higher level winds to drop to the surface. Things like thunderstorms can draw/push very strong upper level winds down to the surface.

Last year in Matthew the clouds overhead were racing but the winds on the surface were pretty light. This year Irma had lots of convection mixing winds that may not have been enormously stronger up high down to the surface (for my location, that is). End result was one storm was much worse on the ground than it might have been by measure up above.

think if it as stacked layers of movement with swirls and twirls within the big general movements and the small gusts make a little more sense.
                          that explanation made me think of a car in a wind tunnel
                          p.s. turn the sound down

Comment

Wow! Texas, Jethro, and Minnow, you guys are smart, and Manitunc also. Thanks for letting me hang out and learn! I understand very little but keep trying to anyway.
                            Cool topic!
                            BWP

Comment

Originally posted by jethro1 View Post
                              Is wind cause by "suction" or by pressure differential?

Is there really a vacuum or is there just a lack of pressure?

Does the air speed of an airplane change if and when it is turned from going into the wind to going with the wind?

Does a piston "suck" air in or does air outside push its way in?

Why is the heat index stated in "degrees" when degrees are not a from of heat measurement?

When we say that we "pull" something don't we really mean that we just reach around to the back side of it and "push" it towards ourselves?

Why do we never "take" anything anywhere. We "bring" it instead. Bring me out to the ballgame, bring me out to the par", you can't bring it with you when you go, bring two pills and call the doctor in the morning,...

Why am I wasting my time on the computer again? And again. And again.
                              The bring part is simple; that idiot Jerry Seinfeld caused that and now it's New York chic to only use "bring" Our language is being ruined by hollywood and social media

Comment

Working...
                              X