X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new twist, sort of.

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/brp...tboard-engine/

Will Yamaha/Kawasaki follow?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Interesting.
    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Innovation is good. This is why freedom is so important.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfercross View Post
        Innovation is good. This is why freedom is so important.
        My concern is the torque, will engines like this have enough displacement to push heavier boats economically? I'd like to see them drop a couple of jets in pontoons. (I understand this is a prop set up.
        This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
        You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

This has been beat to death on TOS, the old two stroke fans stood and cheered, the BRP haters boooed and hissed, most expressed concerns about the engine being flooded/drowned, a few won't buy any BRP product ever, a few in the know with held judgement until it's been in use for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by noelm View Post
            This has been beat to death on TOS, the old two stroke fans stood and cheered, the BRP haters boooed and hissed, most expressed concerns about the engine being flooded/drowned, a few won't buy any BRP product ever, a few in the know with held judgement until it's been in use for a while.
            That was my first thought when looking at it
            2021 Blackwood, twin 300 Mercs
            Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Apparently the cowling is a sealed screw on gizmo, with the air vent/intake inside the boat or somewhere higher up..

Comment

Once again it will boil down to perception. It's still a two stroke and they are a dead issue with the market place.

Comment

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
                  From what I understand, yes. Why, who knows. I didn't realize this type of drive system was wanted by the consumer.
                  Andrew Munao Jr
                  Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                  888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

2 90's makes for a lot of drivetrain mass!

As strong as I know 2 strokes are, no one cares.

My awesome Mercury 150 4 stroke makes less torque through it's rev range than a Etec 150 makes at 2500 rpm.
                    2 strokes kick it lower and midrange performance before the 4 stroke comes alive above 5500!

Just the facts!
                    Still love my 4 stroke!

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by noelm View Post
                      I'm gonna be that guy. I wouldn't buy it just because brp built it. Soon as the issues start popping up they will bail like they did on evinrude.

Comment

Not too sure how BRP should really try to enter the market again, something like this that's a kind of mixed outboard and stern drive (I/O) all rolled into one, or maybe just introduce a Johnson branded "traditional" outboard (but a 4 stroke) or give Evinrude another run. It's difficult to see it from outside the industry what will be/is accepted. It's pretty clear (right or wrong) that 4 strokes won the long game, makes no difference if they are better or not, the boating market has the final say. BRP put all their eggs in one basket (wrongly I believe) and persisted being "different" and it didn't work, for a variety of reasons, including upper management bean counters. This concept "might" open the door again, but, I have a feeling that if/when this fails, BRPs involvement in outboards of any kind will be a distant memory, Evinrude and Johnson's will be just topics of conversation.

Comment

Are all sea doo's 2 strokes?

Comment

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
                            Are all sea doo's 2 strokes?
                            No.. In fact, they haven't made a 2 stroke in several years..
                            As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                            2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                            2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                            Mobile, Al.
                            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210809-110250.png
Views:	58
Size:	560.5 KB
ID:	168573

Torque curve won't load!
                              Here is the HP chart.