X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha, ahead of the curve?

Yamaha To Cast and Sell Sharrow Propellers | BoatTEST

Casting and selling new props.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

I was watching the video of them testing their props on a power cat with the one diesel outboards. It was actually quite impressive in the results. Everyone has always hung their hat in the price of them and that they are custom made "One Off's" and extremely expensive. With Yamaha in the game.and their mass production skills kick in I bet the price drops precipitously.

Can't wait for the 34" 800 hp props.

Comment

I'd be happy just getting regular props in a somewhat timely fashion. Some have been almost a year.
      Andrew Munao Jr
      Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
      888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
        I'd be happy just getting regular props in a somewhat timely fashion. Some have been almost a year.
        You need something?
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• fijon
          fijon commented
          Editing a comment
          A BOB discount ; -0

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

You need something?
        Just waiting on back orders. For our repowers and locals, we are OK because we planned out months ago. Its just the way they operate right now. Have to call on back orders releasing, they don't ship unless you call. I'll ask Lisa if there is anything we need asap.

Andrew Munao Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

You need something?
          Got two pallets in today. Yamaha must monitor BOB!
          Andrew Munao Jr

Comment

From the article, they’re using a lost wax process.
            They make a tool to make wax (with other additives) replicas, taking in to account shrinkage, metal flows, pockets, vents, etc for the final shape of the casting.
            The resulting wax form from that tool are then dipped a number of times in to a ceramic based slurry. After the slurry cures, they melt the wax out, then pour whatever molten metal they’re using. Once the metal has cooled, they bust off the ceramic shell, which typically can be reused, and you have an unfinished casting.
            Then machine precision features, usually broach the spline, hand remove unwanted features then polish the shit out of it.
            Its an age old process with modern capabilities, and very consistent since the end products are coming from the same wax tool.
            There’s an old saying about foundries, though, they’re “ two steps from water and three steps from Hell”.

Comment

• Coastboater
              Coastboater commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I got that backwards….2 steps from Hell and 3 steps from water😎

"There’s an old saying about foundries, though, they’re “ two steps from water and three steps from Hell”."

I am often in a coin manufacturing company that coats the coins with gold, silver and platinum. They have 2 rooms, one has a 1,000,000btu furnace and the other has 4 or 5 urns of molten gold, silver and platinum. The guys who work in those rooms are very hard looking. That heat really takes it out of you.

I have to go in them every once in a while. It is tough to be in there very long, and I Love the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
              "There’s an old saying about foundries, though, they’re “ two steps from water and three steps from Hell”."

I am often in a coin manufacturing company that coats the coins with gold, silver and platinum. They have 2 rooms, one has a 1,000,000btu furnace and the other has 4 or 5 urns of molten gold, silver and platinum. The guys who work in those rooms are very hard looking. That heat really takes it out of you.

I have to go in them every once in a while. It is tough to be in there very long, and I Love the heat.
              As we say in Floriduh.
              It's easier to prepare for the cold, not so much the heat.
              That's why them Northerners or Californians don't make it long.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

From what I have been told Sharrow production props are already investment cast ( lost wax process ) then finish machined to spec and the Yamaha deal expands their production capacity. Yamaha will also be selling the the MX3 series to their dealers and boatbuilders which are props sized and designed for Yamaha Saltwater II propeller applications.

Comment

• bluewaterposer
                  bluewaterposer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The 'MAN' has spoken, word!!!
                  Post more often Seahorse!
              Working...
              X