• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man.
    well done.
    way to keep your cool and think

Comment

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
      One thing I keep on my boat is a Nerf Football. Get a large hole and stuff that thing into it. Water flow will decrease tremendously. The coke bottle was a pretty good idea.

You have a talk with the marina yet? They are supposed to make sure those straps don't touch anything but fiberglass and bottom paint.

Absolutely the NERF football or something similar was the number one item on our debrief list. I know there are a number of marine-specific products that do the same thing. More and better MagLite flashlights made the finals as well, darkness, 4' of water and a hot engine room with debris floating all around needs another source of light!

I took some photos and video of the location of the straps while the boat was being launched....

Comment

• DaleH
        DaleH commented
        Editing a comment
        Wax 'toilet bowl rings' work pretty damn good too!

Just a comment on the flashlights: I've been replacing most all of my flashlights with headlamps. Come to realize that there is rarely a situation where having it on my head and both hands free isn't better than having a hand tied up holding the flashlight. Or trying to hold a mini-mag in my teeth.

I now have headlamps in every vehicle, boat, equipment, toy, etc. Plus stashed about everywhere else. I think I may have some strange addiction to buying the damn little things.
      Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Originally posted by duckfish View Post
        Just a comment on the flashlights: I've been replacing most all of my flashlights with headlamps. Come to realize that there is rarely a situation where having it on my head and both hands free isn't better than having a hand tied up holding the flashlight. Or trying to hold a mini-mag in my teeth.

I now have headlamps in every vehicle, boat, equipment, toy, etc. Plus stashed about everywhere else. I think I may have some strange addiction to buying the damn little things.
        Same here. I purchased two from my Snap On guy that go around your neck or you can wear them on your head. Convenient for hunting and bright as heck.
        95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
        Seaford, De
        Curtis

Comment

TIP - 'Crash Pump' concept for OB-powered boats ...

FYI, on my toona boats with OBs, I used to rig a Marlon 3-way valve to the top of the seacock to the raw water hull pickup for the livewell. The valve had 2 inlets and 1 outlet. I rigged it so that it draw water from either the seacock or from the bilge with the handle thrown into the other position. NOTE in my case the inlets to the livewells were changed to be standard male hose barb fittings, so a spare length of suitable hose was needed to exit the water over the side instead. That made use of another pump already on board to help 'dewater' a bilge if/when needed.
          Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

So, I hate it when posters forget to update the "end game" after a situation.......

I had fitted a temporary patch to keep the boat floating while I waited for a haulout time slot. Pulled out Monday this week with the knowledge I'd need to get the wood around the damaged area dried out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hole in yard.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	164252

This is the slightly enlarged hole where the through hull fitting "migrated" into the engine room. The wood surrounding the fitting was soft, almost like "monkey hair" and it was obvious that the failure was caused by years and years of water getting into the area surrounding it. It probably failed with simple water pressure after that long run to the deep drop spot, cannot blame the straps location when launching or operator error. You can see the wood which is about 1.25" thick (Mahogany), with a layer of 10 oz cloth and epoxy on the outside, and then fairing, primer, paint, Barrier Coat, and antifouling. The G10 plate is just glued to the inside of the damaged area with the overdrilled holes for when i clamped down the outside g10 plate to create the "oreo cookie" repair.

The approach to closing up the hole is pretty simple, but the wood needs to be dried thoroughly and rain this morning did not help. The hole gets bevelled from the outside and I fit a laminated piece of Coosa with epoxy and three layers of 1700 cloth bevelled to fit the hole. When its time, it will get glued in first with epoxy and high density then before curing layers of oval-shaped 1700 cloth with build up the outside to the height of the barrier coat. Then, cure, then fairing, barrier coat, and finally antifoul paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hole with coosa.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	164253

In other news, the Genset electrical end is toast from salt water immersion. The engine itself runs fine, has about 4200 hours and has been out of the boat at around 2000 hours for full service including setting the valve lash, etc. I am hoping to find out this afternoon if there is a new electrical back end available, the dealer is Phasor and is local to Fort Lauderdale (Kubota 4 cylinder engine, Stamford electrical side). The underwater (Seavision SV10 HIDs) were also submerged from the inside of the transom and luckily Seavision makes a direct replacement LED light and ballast that fits perfectly into the through hull housing. Two of the six Rule 2500 bilge pumps were not happy after running for quite awhile clogged with debris. I replaced the float switches as well, opting to use Ultra switches this time. The HVAC raw water circulation pump (March magnetic drive) was also not too happy with salt water bath and was replaced earlier in the week.

I will provide some more entertainment when I complete the glasswork on the hole....

Comment

• bluewaterposer
              bluewaterposer commented
              Editing a comment
              You rock!!!

• DaleH
              DaleH commented
              Editing a comment
              We appreciate you UPDATING this ordeal!

• Tiretyme
              Tiretyme commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you!
              Again, great job under pressure, especially with a very sizable injury

What an experience Tom. Water ingression is something that really worries me when I hop on a boat I’m not familiar with. Glad you got it all sorted. Sorry it’s going to be such a costly repair. Are you going to inspect all the other thru hulls while repairing this one?

Comment

Phasor is a pretty good company. I installed a 21kw generator on my Tiara a couple of years ago. It has almost 200 hours on it with out even a sputter (knock on wood).

Comment

Tom - so glad you were able to temp patch the hole and get home. Will insurance cover the hole repair and the other items that broke?

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
                  Tom - so glad you were able to temp patch the hole and get home. Will insurance cover the hole repair and the other items that broke?

Phasor has a new back end 15kw on the shelf, I will pick it up today. Cost is less than $3k. I can remove the old one and install the new electrical side in the boat. Seavision replacement lights are less than $1k ea, and supposedly brighter and a lot less amp draw than the HIDs I had (SV10). March circ pump was about $450, and the hull repair materials, paint, epoxy, coosa, are from my garage. Haulout and a week on the hard is not too much to swallow. There are no other contractors or labor costs involved. I'm not really an insurance guy and all together the hassle of a surveyor, time, etc vs. the deductible lands me in "eat it" world. Ole knows my agent/underwriter and it probably helps my future ability to continue to have a great policy (Travellers) on an older boat that doesn't fit their profile has some merit. Really in my mind the policy is in case something really catastrophic occurs.

Comment

• Parker Yacht
                    Parker Yacht commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Insurance who?
                    Yea, I think not, no need to wake them up on a "Coldmolded" bote.
                    Nah, no need for a moisture meter. Fix it, check the others, move on.

• Bstnsportsfan
                    Bstnsportsfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I understand. Few years back my fence got destroyed in Irma. Rather than go through insurance and deal with that mess, we just replaced it ourselves. Good you’re able to do most of the work yourself.

Love reading about knowledgeable people and how they go about proper repairs!

Comment

My only experience with insurance on a boat was when I had lightening strike my old 40' Luhrs. Burned 7 holes through my port diesel tank and drained 150 gallons into the bilge. We had to pull the engine and cut the tank out. I did all the cleanup and installed the tank but paid for the engine to be pulled and reinstalled. They were pretty good about it and with the exception of my time paid most everything.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                      Bstnsportsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      150 gallons into the bilge? Sounds like a long cleanup.

• Sans Peur
                      Sans Peur commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yea, the marina called and said they saw diesel coming out of my bilge pumps. Fortunately one of my buddies lived nearby (I was 45 minutes away) and he ran over and cut the bilge pump wires so they wouldn't run. We pulled the boat and I had a guy come with a fuel polisher and 3 - 50 gallon drums. We sucked a little out of the tank and the rest from the bilge. It cleaned the fuel as we pulled it out.
                      Only problem was before we put the boat back in we went to pump the drums and 2 of them were empty. Personally I think the yard guys stole it for the marina lift.

• the other tom
                      the other tom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That would for sure be an Insurance situation! Can only imagine the various possibilities involving responsibility not to mention the degree of unforeseen damage...

So, to wrap up this post, the yard work is complete and we are scheduled to be launched tomorrow morning (Friday). The new Genset back end is in my garage, awaiting the boat to be brought home and the old genny removed. I honestly will have a hard time noticing where the damaged section was, and while we were on the hard I sounded all other fittings and suspect areas under the waterline. Found one fastener (older bronze self-tapping screw) that helps hold one of the raw water engine strainers (Sendure brand) on the outside of the hull was compromised, was able to remove, and inject thickened epoxy and drive a new one in.

Here is a shot of the finished repair:

Click image for larger version  Name:	hole complete.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	164390

Comment

Looks good like it never even happened. Oh and by the way that is a beautiful boat. I am glad you saved it...Charlie
                      Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

You did an amazing job on that patch!! Nice work!!

Comment

Working...
                        X