Boating season is most likely over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating season is most likely over...

On Sunday, my wife and I took our boat for a little cruise. For those familiar with the Stuart area, we launched out of sandsprit and first went to St. Lucie Inlet State Park. Since I installed the simrad Go7 I wanted to make sure it was working right as it was not initially showing me depth. Pulling up to the dock, the motor stalled but instantly started back up. I didn't think much of it and thought maybe I just pulled the kill switch out or something. I tinkered with my simrad and got it working better so we continued south. We hit just about the Hobe Sound bridge and decided to make our way back north. Our plan was to swing by the Stuart sandbar then probably head back to the ramp. Being Mother's Day it was get more and more crowded as time went on. We initially got in the water at about 8:15am.

On the way back north we hit the second are where you could go 25mph and the boat appeared to be bogging a bit. As I was getting passed I wanted to give it more gas but it seemed the engine just wouldn't go...mind you have a 140hp on the back of a 17, no reasons as to why i shouldn't have easily gotten into the 30s. Then the motor lost all rpms but didn't stall, I pulled back the throttle and tried giving it some gas and it did it again. I decided to head to the dock going no-wake speed. It was not to be, motor died and wouldn't restart. Of coarse, we were right in the middle of the channel and the wind was pushing us sideways. At this moment, thankfully no boats were coming. We were about 1/2 mile from the "crossroads." I immediately called seatow on my cell phone and gave them our position. They said they were about 45-1 hour away as they were quite busy.

I then dropped our trolling motor and with a little fiddling I was able to get it going and backed up our of the channel. I then threw the anchor and we waited. I noticed a bit of oil on my transom. I tried the motor once or twice and it initially did nothing then it'd sound like it'd start then die. So we made the best of it, threw our fishing lines out (nothing biting) and waited.

About 90 minutes later, Seatow showed up and towed us back to Sandsprit. The capt was really cool and even helped us load the boat on the trailer. I got his number and will hire him when my boat is back running to teach me the ropes of driving a boat.

Upon arriving back home, I noticed a nice little pool of oil under the engine. I tried to take a picture of where it was accumulating prior to dripping on the floor. Motor is an 03 Suzuki DF140 with about 190 hours and heavy corrosion. My plan is to save money throughout the summer and contact Ole in the fall for an F115 repower. Just stinks to lose the boat for the summer. We are going to plan a couple fishing charters.

We are thankful that the boat broke down in the ICW and not in the crossroads or when we were heading to the sandbar as we'd have to cross the St Lucie Inlet where it can get very rough with boat traffic.

Boat fuel tank is full with about 35 gallons of Non-Ethanol gas. Anything I need to do to it if I don't use it for 4-6 months?

Thanks for reading guys.

Here are a few pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Dang, sorry to hear. where is the oil leaking from, gear case?
      1994/5 Caravelle Legend 2000, HOT Mercruiser 350 Alpha 1
      2007 Angler 204WA Mercury 150HP Opti
      "Pale Rider Performance"

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
        Bstnsportsfan commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not quite sure. It’s the part that looks like either the lower or middle unit? I’ll try to get a better picture. It just is accumulating on that part on front of the prop area and going on the ground. Sorry I don’t know the name for that area.

Let’s identify what’s up best we can and we’ll figure it out together and get ya going again.
      Don't get frustrated………………….yet
      2021 Blackwood, twin 300 Mercs
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
        Let’s identify what’s up best we can and we’ll figure it out together and get ya going again.
        Don't get frustrated………………….yet
        Yup.
        Oil leaking and engine not running could be two different issues.
        1) If the oil leaked out enough, it could run out of oil, Alarms SHOULD sound and/or be visual warning, engine make crappy noise, and locks up. When you go to start, it will not turn over, make crappy noise, and things are kaput. You would also have 6 qts of oil dragging behind the bote.
        First off, I would check oil level and condition.
        Then I would check compression and condition of spark plugs.
        Report back.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Sorry to hear, I launched at SandSprit Saturday and all small fish, oh well, yes, glad you didn't stop at the Cross roads!

Save up your down payment now, be blessed.

BWP

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220507_070424.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	159504
            Bulls Shark Saturday, I saw multiple boats there!

BWP

Comment

• Tiretyme
              Tiretyme commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are nasty bad boys!

Lots of small things to break on an engine. Doesn't mean it is a gonner. Oil can come from a couple of places so don't call it dead until you lift thr cowling and see exactly where it came from.

Comment

Sorry to hear. I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). Lost a cylinder on mine. Filled the tank with startron and no E gas and put the cover on it.
              2003 Proline 23 sport
              1999 legacy Sea Era 230
              2005 Bayliner 175 (sold)

Comment

Is it engine oil or gear oil? Gear oil will often be thicker and stink. Lower unit? Go over to Danny at marine Parts outlet..he may have a used one.

when racing we'd see fluid under the car and the color would identify what was leaking. Green..coolant. Pink..ATF. Yellow..brake.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                  Bstnsportsfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m not sure. It seems like motor oil color. I’ll have to check the manual and see how to check the gear oil level. I was certain it was repower time so I didn’t look too much at it.

Engine oil low? (4 stroke) Something got tight, which means it got REAL hot someplace. Can you spin the powerhead by hand in neutral? Can you spin the prop in neutral? Can you put it in neutral?

Comment

gear oil stinks. Burned gear REALLY stinks.

Comment

Ok I checked the engine oil dipstick and it is bone dry. I could not get the screw off to check the gear oil. However I believe it is engine oil since the oil is much higher on the engine. My plan is to check the compression and see if there is oil on the spark plugs (neighbor suggested that. I also need to fill the oil reservoir.

Bost is in neutral. I’ll check those things you suggested and report back.

Comment

• Tiretyme
                      Tiretyme commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can you see a leak anywhere?

• Bstnsportsfan
                      Bstnsportsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can’t find any leak but I want to fill the reservoir and try starting.

• Tiretyme
                      Tiretyme commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fill it or just put some in and see where it runs out before starting
                      Might try a bottle/just some Marvel Mystery Oil or something thinner to see it run out faster—just don’t start it up with just that in it.
                      If you pull your kill switch you should be able to bump it over without engine starting.
                      Don’t know motors like Ole, and zero about Zukes, but maybe just a bad crankshaft seal?

Check your dip stick and see how much oil you have, what color it is, and how it smells.
                    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                      Bstnsportsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The dipstick is dry. No oil.

• LFBB
                      LFBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well as I'm sure you suspect, that ain't good. Sorry seems you got the short end, happens to every boater, doesn't make it any less painful but, you're in good company.

• Bstnsportsfan
                      Bstnsportsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Time to save for a nice shinny new one!

Man. Sorry to hear that. I have the same DF140’s on my Seacat, but 2005. Trying to think how you lost the oil.
                    Oil filter, oil cooler, block corrosion, oil pressure switch?
                    If it seized due to lack of lubrication, that’s not good. The engine has a Low Oil Pressure Caution System. It will reduce engine speed to 3000 RPM when oil pressure is less than 14 psi. The Oil Lamp will light up and the Caution Buzzer should sound with a series of 1.5 sec beeps. It will reset when oil pressure is restored.
                    I would look for the leak. Look for the highest sign of oil stain on the block. Check oil filter for a seam break. Check oil pressure switch for leak. It’s on the starboard side behind the plastic air intake box, just to the right of the High Pressure fuel filter. Fill with oil and try starting it.
                    We’ll stand by for follow up.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                      Bstnsportsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you. Fantastic advice. I’m going to check this stuff out along with compression numbers tomorrow and will post what I find. You guys are the best.
                  Working...
                  X