First time out…a brief “trip”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time out…a brief “trip”

Decided to take my boat out today. Filled tank with ethanol free fuel and got seatow on Thursday. Went to a ramp near our house early this morning before the crowds. Boat came off trailer easily and I went to park my truck. When I came back I hopped in the boat and fired up the motor when my wife mentioned water was coming in the back through the scuppers. Ugh. I have ping pong scuppers but they weren’t do a good job.

We got off the boat and the water drained out. When we got back in, it came back in. Moved to the front and out it went. I had a small “plug” that I stuck in one scupper which helped. But I figured it’s best not to leave the dock so I loaded it back up and came back home.

I have a Suzuki DF140 on it which weighs 410. I’ll be looking at repowering with a 90 later this year which will way around 350lbs. Until then I’m going to plug those scuppers and try again.

One good that came of it, my wife agreed that the Bimini too just gets in the way. We are going to put a small t-top on. I happily took that damn Bimini off.

I came home and washed and flushed. Thankfully there was an earlier post asking about cleaning a boat. Ole had recommended a few items which I bought and work fantastic!! The shammy isn’t in the photo but I have that too.

Hopefully next time I’m able to leave the dock! But I got a fueled and clean boat. I had no issues backing up straight and getting the boat off and on. With the exception of the “flooding” it was a success!

Happy New Years all!
    Attached Files

Maybe just replace the scupper's? What is that boat, a 17-18 footer? Should handle that 140.. When I had my HS Lightning, I had the same issue if we stood in the stern. So, I made some plugs and when we stopped to fish, I would plug them. They were just straight drains.. No flats or checks..
    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

It is a Mako 171. Rated to 135. From reading the scuppers underwater is nothing new. I’m thinking I’ll just do what you did.

And the motor replacement has nothing to do with the scupper issue. See my post in the engine sub forum regarding corrosion.
      Bstnsportsfan
      Senior Swabby
      Last edited by Bstnsportsfan; 01-01-2022, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
        It is a Mako 171. Rated to 135. From reading the scuppers underwater is nothing new. I’m thinking I’ll just do what you did.
        It is normal, kind of.. No, not "underwater" all the time. But if you are in the stern and the bob under and a little water comes in, yes. But, it can be unnerving to watch water coming IN the boat.. LOL.. We had 4 kids and they all loved getting in the stern for some reason. So, instead of fussing at them all the time, I plugged them.
        As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
        2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
        2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
        Mobile, Al.
        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Chris, that’s a really good looking boat!! I love the old Mako’s and they are really well built.
          Did you happen to get a picture of scuppers in relation to waterline today?
          2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
          Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

My Dad has the same boat. Scuppers sit just above the waterline at rest, but go under when standing in he stern. He has the flapper type supper covers and they seem to work well, I always liked them better than the ping pong ball style. His has a 115hp on it and it's great, plenty of power.

Comment

Experience is experience, always have extra drain plugs on hand, you never know, when it will come in handy!
              Shurhold brushes, it's all I use, of course they are a past customer of mine, and they're given me plenty of brushes, woohoo 🎉!

Peter's Hardware has them cheaper than any marine store, the 90 and 115 Mercury 4 stroke are same block, same weight, Suzuki may be different.
              Enjoy your future boating

BWP

Comment

Very normal for a self bailing 17.
              It's gonna get worse when you back down.
              You're going to have wet feet. that's what boat shoes are for!
              Motors either 90 or 115 would work, speed will be 35 to 40 mph, Go big if there's no weight penalty.

Comment

BTW Chris, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Everglades 243’s on the water where this is a daily occurrence. Incidentally they also have the reverse flow ping-pong scuppers. My son in law has a 243 and my feet are always wet when we come back from snapper fishing in it. I believe on later models they put flotation on stern and tried to disguise it as a swim platform. Still a good boat
                2022 34’ Fountain w/ trip 300 Mercs
                Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Thank you guys for the reassurances!! All I could imagine was the boat filling and “sinking”! So I pulled it out! I’m going to get scupper plugs and head back out there! And actually do a proper shake down.

Thank you for the compliments on the boat!! I spent a lot of time sanding and oiling teak! I know a lot of people like starboard but I love the classic teak look

Comment

My Dauntless 15 lets water in the scuppers when I move aft. Depending upon where I am boating I just plug them. If I am out on the Chesapeake bay though I leave the plugs out.

No time to pull the scupper plugs if you get into confused 3-4 foot seas. Conditions can change quickly out there.

Once moving, the small amount of water drains quickly. I just keep anything I want to stay dry inside the console or in a dry bag.
                  2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                    Bstnsportsfan
                    Senior Swabby
                    Bstnsportsfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll be using the boat only in the ICW while I gain more experience. But good point on being careful of the seas pick up. It can get bad if I take water into the boat and it can’t drain!

I had a Scout 175 that if you put two good size guys in the stern she’d wet your feet. More recently, I had a Grady Freedom 225 that would flood with a couple guys in the back. Grady supplied black rubber scupper plugs. Good to be cautious, but it’s common for a small boat. I like that little Mako 👍

Comment

Had a Key West Stealth flats boat. Those ping pong ball scuppers SUCK. I kept plugs in the drains at all times and went to the flapper style.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                    Bstnsportsfan
                    Senior Swabby
                    Bstnsportsfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes!!! I thought they were good but they’re awful! I bought a T handle drain plug for $2.25 on Amazon (used - good condition!). I’ll see how it works and if it fits I’ll buy a few of them.

Another thing that most people who have that problem do is move as much heavy objects forward as possible. Things like batteries and live wells or anything moved forward will help some...Charlie
                  Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

I used to sell aquasport, they had a smallish 17 with 3 drains in the transom.
                  customers usually plugged 2 of the 3 making the boat drier but still self bailing.

Comment

Working...
                  X