Fuel: No Ethanol or reg + stabilizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel: No Ethanol or reg + stabilizer?

I drained my tank today (thankfully only 12 gallons or so) and it didn’t look terrible. In fact I gave my neighbor 5 gallons to throw in his lawn tractor. Now that I’m empty I’m curious what I should fill it with. Still not sure if I’m going to use it before repower (see my post in the engine subforum).

My question is when I take it to fill it up (if I decide to use the boat) should I use Ethanol free or regular + fuel stabilizer? If I use Ethanol free do I still need a stabilizer? Thankfully it’s only 36 gallons. I just want put the correct type of fuel in. Thank you!!!

Every case different, I run only rec-90 and use often along with having a small tank, for an 18 footer.
    My opinion, rec-90 and a little stabilizer.
    Good luck if you repower.
    BWP

Comment

This is just me an avg weekend boater with no particular expertise.

If I could get E free gas I'd get it all day every day. I'm not aware of any advantage E gas has over regular gas, but can name the reason for regular gas (no water (worries).
      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
      You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

If you only used non ethanol gas then stay with it. Ethanol is a great cleaner and will remove varnish that built up in the tank if the only gas used in it was non ethanol.Ethanol gas is actually great at keeping the fuel system clean .

Comment

No friggin' ethanol! It's easy to get in Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by Billinfla View Post
            How would you know, you're bill in FL , not bill in Stuart!!!???

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by Billinfla View Post
              Is it Wawa or Racetrack that carries Ethanol free? I’ve seen it one of those but forget which one.

nevermind…found this website: pure-gas.org

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post

Is it Wawa or Racetrack that carries Ethanol free? I’ve seen it one of those but forget which one.

nevermind…found this website: pure-gas.org
                I went to the Valero over by Chapman School. The roundabout just north of Salerno. WAWA carries a lower octane rec fuel. The chevron on Ocean carries it also.

Comment

90 octane rec gas is 93 octane "premium" without the ethanol. Ethanol adds 3 octane points!

They only blend 2 octanes. 90 octane and probably 84-85. Ethanol adds 2-3 points because ethanol has a very high (115 or so) octane rating.

Comment

Definitely go with ethanol free. ... Ethanol caused all kinds of VST problems in my engines one spring..

Comment

Most importantly is what has it been running and what year is the engine and boat? Not sure of the year but I know engine mfg's started making them with ethanol compatible hoses and such. (Ole can probably provide that info)
                      Where the problem arises is when the boat has used regular fuel all its life and has the varnish built up throughout the system. The ethanol cleans it off the walls of the tank and sends it into the fuel system creating all sorts of issues with the VST pump, filters and injectors.

If it has been running ethanol fuel you are probably good with continuing to use it. If not, stick the the rec fuel.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                        Bstnsportsfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is a 2003 Suzuki 140. No clue what the prior owner ran through it. Motor is going to be replaced next summer.

Non Ethanol and Stabil 360 in Every. Single. Tank.
                      Please watch my podcast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXM...fTJ38kA/videos

Comment

Originally posted by jtw18 View Post
                        Non Ethanol and Stabil 360 in Every. Single. Tank.
                        This is the program I go with.
                        Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Ethanol was added as an oxygenator to replace MTBE. Then the advertising snakes jumped on it as a crude oil saver.

When ethanol laced fuel is used in a carbureted engine it will run lean. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, so REC90 actually gets better fuel economy.

The big issue..alcohol is a strong cleaner and dissolves benign in a fuel system, plus alcohol mixes with water and forms a gummy type sludge in fuel systems that sit for a long time.

Comment

Would definitely go ethanol free if that's an option. I have had good luck using SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer, even on fuel containing ethanol. Before I used Seafoam, I used to use a product called MDR Stor-n-Start. I actually had that product fail in gasoline I had put in a motorcycle. That was back in 2003. Seafoam bailed me out on that one and I've been using it ever since.

Comment

Working...
                            X