New Motor Installed - What to look for prior to acceptance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motor Installed - What to look for prior to acceptance?

I have owned a couple of boats, but never have I had a boat repowered. I had a new motor installed (Merc 150). I am scheduled to pick it up next week. What should I be looking at before handing over the check?

This was a new set of controls, new cables, new gauges, new wiring harness.

I should check the throttle movement, steering movement, that the gauges are functioning, visual check the wiring, the oil level, battery cable tightness, prop nut.

It is a landlocked dealership. Running on a hose might be the most I can do.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Originally posted by CNC Boater View Post
    I have owned a couple of boats, but never have I had a boat repowered. I had a new motor installed (Merc 150). I am scheduled to pick it up next week. What should I be looking at before handing over the check?

This was a new set of controls, new cables, new gauges, new wiring harness.

I should check the throttle movement, steering movement, that the gauges are functioning, visual check the wiring, the oil level, battery cable tightness, prop nut.

It is a landlocked dealership. Running on a hose might be the most I can do.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

I think that depends on what your and the shops expectations are.
    Obviously, it should all work, and work well.
    I guess that means they didn't sea trial it???
    Everything they did should work, wires and hoses ty-wrapped, tails cut, boat clean.
    Then, check all the other items, lights, switches, bilge pumps, steering, etc. Sometimes when they "Yank" old stuff out it takes other things with the old stuff, wiring, connections, etc.
    You should walk up and see a new motor and controls, and a bote cleaner that when you left it.
    It it's dirtier, than look deeper.
    That goes back to your expectations and what was discussed with the shop prior to the re power.
    Did you re-power with the same HP, brand and type motor? IE: 2 or 4 stroke?
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• CNC Boater
      CNC Boater commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I went from a 2000 Johnson 150 2 stroke to the Mercury 150 4 stroke. They have a good reputation in our region for doing repowers. For some reason I had the impression they did in the water testing, but unfortunately don't recall specifically discussing it. I will ask if they did. I want to know if it is propped correctly. Especially to see if when I run it, if I am finding numbers, or verifying their numbers.

Our policy is to launch the boat and go for a test drive with the customer..
    sometimes they don't want to go, and those are the one's that bite us in the butt.
    We have already driven and propped out the boat before the customer ever got the phone call.
    That 150 is a popular repower and has been a good motor for us.

Comment

• CNC Boater
      CNC Boater commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the input. You and Ole make a good point. A sea trial or strategy or an understanding of how the post install checkout was to occur was something I should have made sure to discuss/understand.

First off, Congratulations, I love my New 150 Mercury 4 stroke received in February!

I had them use all my not so old Connections except for a new key switch and all was well, I bought it as inexpensively as I could and they did not disappoint!

Not the prettiest install but works to perfection, thus far!

Funny thing is I had to upgrade batteries and 4 ga wiring to 2 ga as it would not start on one battery, always took all so the first time I launched, it wouldn't kick, embarrassed, I turned battery switch to all and it was good.

The Smart start requires full amperage or it ain't gonna!

Absolutely love this outboard as it's my first! Woohoo 🎉!

It's very strong on both Mid range and top end and turns way less rpm than my former 115 2 smoker at quite a bit more cruise speed.

Old fuel burn 2.2 wide open mpg to 3.
    Old fuel burn cruise 3, now it's over 5 mpg.

Best comparison: old speed to rpm delta was 21,
    New is 9, as in old was 20 mph at 4100 rpm.

Now it's 21 mph at 3000 rpm!
    That's huge!
    Sorry for almost off topic but still impressed with the new four stroke even though it came out a decade ago.

My opinion, all the 150's are extremely competitive at this stage of outboard development.

Break-in was simple and easy to follow so, I did but still don't run wide open for long periods of time as at 67 hours I'm all about an average fuel burn of way under 5gph which is ridiculous but measures out for me.
    Smart Craft is expensive but worth it thus far as well as it's just plain neat to monitor almost anything!
    I have the SC1000 tachometer and SC100 water pressure gauges as I like to see my pressure and know it's keeping it's cool!

All the best, Kevin, the real-
    BWP

Comment

I/we sea trial every repower. It hard for me to imagine a scenario where we would not. Running on muffs makes sure the gauges work, goes into and out of gear, pumps water and check for fuel or oil leaks, but that's about it. We also check all the boat systems to make sure they work, and if they do not, inform the owner what we find. We just got done with a repower on a Lund/F90 and the 2 livewell pumps did not operate. Turns out they haven't worked for some time, so the boat spent a couple more days here while we waited for parts. What a pain in the arse to get to those! Probably the reason they haven't worked in a while.

There must be a small lake nearby that they can launch the boat at?
      Andrew Munao Jr
      Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
      888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

• CNC Boater
        CNC Boater commented
        Editing a comment
        The question of a sea trial will be part of my next conversation at the dealer. I am not familiar with the any lakes or waterways near the dealer.

• SIM
        SIM commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know how it works out!

Agree, sea trial is a must and we always insist on it.

Comment

I picked up the boat after inspecting everything. I tried all of the mechanical systems, steering, throttle, trim and tilt. I checked out the wiring loom. I checked the original electrical under/behind the dash. It all looked good. It was as clean as it was delivered to them. A few small pieces of wire a piece or two of bubble wrap and a couple of small split washers. As soon as picked them up the General Manager picked them up. They tank tested it.

Due to my own time constraints, I haven’t started it, and wont get to for about another 3 weeks. I work at a hospital and am on call for the next two weeks. I won’t get back to the boat until @ the 25th. This wasn’t by my design, but it is out of my control.

When picking up the boat I realized that an install of a Mercury NMEA gateway should have been requested as a part of the install. I did not think of it until that point.

I am have started reading the owners manual and associated documents.

Edit:
        When the motor was added, it left the trailer tongue light. So they moved the winch post forward and shifted the boat forward. My trailer bunks now sit about 10 past the stern. I will need to shorten them. I ran the rig across the Cat Scales to get my weights. It has about 280 pounds of tongue weight and about an additional 180 pounds from my last weigh in. I had a Soft T- Top with rocket launchers installed Click image for larger version

Name:	DAD0C9F3-592A-4A40-A6D3-5AA87D5581F3.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	135488 in the weeks leading up to the motor install.
        Last edited by CNC Boater; 09-08-2021, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• bluewaterposer
          bluewaterposer commented
          Editing a comment
          That hull looks heavy, my hull which I believe is lighter hits rev limiter easy with a 15x17x3 aluminum prop, too easy, 19 pitch too much so 18 just right.

A 15x16x4 aluminum prop gets 5600 with some trim so I call it even
          With the break-in requirements at the 10 minute mark, try out the top end for 1 minute which is a part of the process till the first 2 hours.

Ask away about that outboard, I'm very pleased if you couldn't tell!!

Thank you BWP - I am in the home stretch of being on call at the Hospital for 3 out of 4 weeks. I hope to get the first splash on the 25th!

Comment

Originally posted by erie skipper View Post
          Agree, sea trial is a must and we always insist on it.
          Ditto ... as ALL but a few Dealer mounted OBs I've ever personally run, whether I owned the rig or not, has had the OB(s) mounted TOO DEEP, with the majority of them wearing the WRONG prop!

One lady friend called me after said she couldn't start her motor after having new controls installed ...

She's a good friend, so I stopped by her house. The OB sounded like it wanted to start, but thinking she flooded it, I opened the throttle up full-in-neutral to clear it out. I clicked the starter, with the other hand getting ready to pull the throttle back. The engine started and just purred ... ! I then pulled back on the throttle from alleged WOT, and the RPMs began to rise - what the???? And adding insult to injury, FWD was REV and vice versa! What a Clusterfrick! Being a long weekend and the shop was closed, it took me but 2-hours to fix it all for her, then I cautioned her to 'break it in properly', as they gave her no operational info.

Needless to say, I told her to go see the Owner in person, but sadly she had called them first. Now she had a pink-colored carbon copy of the service report/bill ...and when she got there, their yellow service copy said 'water tested' ...so they refused to accept any blame or refund her any money or give her $$$ credit. Needless to say I showed up there shortly thereafter, asked for the boss and threatened to bring my good friend by - a TV Consumer Reporter no less, in tow with a camera man - and asked him "How did it feel to try and screw a woman over a faulty engine control installation?"

Then I ran them up one side and down the other with every freakin' Navy swear I know, LOL. I still CAUTION everyone to stay away from those thieving son-of-a-bitches!
          Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

Take a minute and tap out the top of the bow pulpit; very good chance there is some rotten wood in there. common issue on Stripers; about a 2-2500 fix

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I'd have had them hold it until I could come sea trial it with them, this way there's no surprises and they can't say you did something.

Comment

Originally posted by erie skipper View Post
                Take a minute and tap out the top of the bow pulpit; very good chance there is some rotten wood in there. common issue on Stripers; about a 2-2500 fix
                I am on the SOG - Striper Owners Group. There used to be a good set of pictures of my Bow Pulpit repair. Every bit of balsa was soaked in pulpit.

Comment

Nearly three weeks after picking up the boat I was able to run it for three and a half hours of break in time. I like the performance. It is very quite at idle. The boat floats well on her lines. I was happy with the hole shot. She handles well. After 3 hours I took her to a brief burst at full throttle to verify top RPM. It hit right at 5800 and 38/39 mph. The dash trim gauge for the motor did not work. The motor trim did work, but I had to go by feel and performance. Next steps are to acquire a Vessel View Link to send data to my Lowrance GPS. Then trouble shoot why the nmea network has dropped off line. Then tweak the trailer adjustments due to adjusting the boats position for tongue weight.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Comment

Awesome 👍!!! Glad to hear!!!
                    my other buddy repowered with a Yami 150 2 years ago.... silent and sick hole shot!!
                    Wish you all the best!!!
                    I'm next!!!
                    But my ole cement mixer ain't quittin...when she does...goin on the mantle!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X