Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaCat22
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, the pumps were turned off immediately, but her hand was sucked around an elbow and couldn't be pulled out. The pool was drained by breaking/cutting the large PVC pipes near the pumps. The concrete was cut/chipped from around the pipe, then the exposed pipe was cut with a PVC cable saw. The tools were powered by our portable generator.

• noelm
    replied
    Just add something, when I used to repair TVs my friend had a very neat "party trick" he would wet his finger and let the EHT transformer jump a spark about 2" onto his finger tip, then for added excitement he would put a piece of paper between his finger and the output and the spark would set fire to the paper! The EHT (extra high tension) transformer put out about 35,000V but only a couple of milliamps at best.

Leave a comment:

• noelm
    replied
    The chances of being killed by the "welding part" of a welder is remote at best, you might get a tingle if you bridge the gap between the electrode and the earth/ground clamp, but a tingle is not going to hurt anyone, no air pressure in those "hulls" except maybe a slightly higher or lower pressure depending on sealing and temperature.

Leave a comment:

• Sans Peur
    replied
    I got hit with 41,400 volts once. We accidentally stood a sail boat mast straight into a the 3 power lines running down the street and I was holding the bottom of the mast. It threw me 20' away (which was the only thing that saved my life) and caused my eyes to turn totally black and my fingernails all brown. Drove myself to the emergency room (I ain't to bright, although I was really bright for a second) and they kept me for a few hours. Dr told me, "when you walk outside you better look up and thank god because that is the only reason you are still here."

Leave a comment:

• Sans Peur
    commented on 's reply
    Same woman, just depends on what kind of day it is.
    We've been engaged for 11 years and she still wont marry me. Just speaks to her intellect.

• LFBB
    replied
    Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
    Some years ago, our Fire Dept worked a Rescue job with our neighboring Fire Dept in a mutual aid call. A little girl was in the hotel swimming pool and got her hand and arm sucked into an open return fitting on the pool sidewall. A big hotel pool with big pumps. The firefighters were in the pool supporting her while we emergency drained the large pool. We also jumped in the water with our electric demolition hammers and saws to cut/chip away the concrete around the pipe. We saved her little arm without any injury. She was transported to the hospital with her arm still in the PVC pipe we cut distally, and they removed it with a vibrating cast cutter. It was a pucker factor..."don't drop the tools". Lol. You have to do, what you have to do to save life and limb. We talked about it during the debrief. Heck, we have defibrillators, in case of electrocution cardiac arrest. Lol. You can look back and laugh, with a tongue-in-cheek, after the fact, when it turns out well.
    Electrocution is such a rush.
    Didn't they have a breaker box to kill the pumps?

Leave a comment:

• SeaCat22
    replied
    Some years ago, our Fire Dept worked a Rescue job with our neighboring Fire Dept in a mutual aid call. A little girl was in the hotel swimming pool and got her hand and arm sucked into an open return fitting on the pool sidewall. A big hotel pool with big pumps. The firefighters were in the pool supporting her while we emergency drained the large pool. We also jumped in the water with our electric demolition hammers and saws to cut/chip away the concrete around the pipe. We saved her little arm without any injury. She was transported to the hospital with her arm still in the PVC pipe we cut distally, and they removed it with a vibrating cast cutter. It was a pucker factor..."don't drop the tools". Lol. You have to do, what you have to do to save life and limb. We talked about it during the debrief. Heck, we have defibrillators, in case of electrocution cardiac arrest. Lol. You can look back and laugh, with a tongue-in-cheek, after the fact, when it turns out well.
    Electrocution is such a rush.

Leave a comment:

• jmike
    replied
    Worked for a dock company years ago in Orlando and we had this guy who would jump in the water with an electric circular saw and cut away. The generator was rigged without a breaker switch.

I left A few weeks later.

Leave a comment:

• LFBB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
    We were having the pool stripped and surfaced with the pebbletek stuff. 3 guys show one morning and start draining the pool. As it is draining and about 5" down one guy plugs in an extension cord, wraps it around his neck twice, plugs in a Dewalt hand grinder (without the shield), walks into the pool and starts using it to cut just under the tiles. About 3"above the water line. My wife/GF/fiancee looks at me and says "is that safe?". I just took her by the arm and led her to the truck saying, Time to Go!
    You got more balls then the guy doing the weld and pool combined, you got your wife, GF and fiancee all in the same truck, you're the man!

Leave a comment:

• Tiretyme
    replied
    If I did that, sure wouldn’t be any thinking involved!!

Leave a comment:

• Sans Peur
    replied
    We were having the pool stripped and surfaced with the pebbletek stuff. 3 guys show one morning and start draining the pool. As it is draining and about 5" down one guy plugs in an extension cord, wraps it around his neck twice, plugs in a Dewalt hand grinder (without the shield), walks into the pool and starts using it to cut just under the tiles. About 3"above the water line. My wife/GF/fiancee looks at me and says "is that safe?". I just took her by the arm and led her to the truck saying, Time to Go!

Leave a comment:

• bluewaterposer
    commented on 's reply
    I got that!!!

• Halkman26
    replied
    At least he had his protective face shield on. Don’t want to damage those eyes

Leave a comment:

• Lprizman
    replied
    He's a product of me....spring brake 87 or 89
    🧐🤔🤨

🤣😂

Leave a comment:

• Boat Bum
    replied
    Git-r-done

Leave a comment:

Working...