This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The slow death of online forums

Hobby forum is down to 39 members online . I remember when it would be 350 this time of the week.
    Who's to blame ? What's to blame ? Does a person have to change their style to fit in ?

Maybe the normal don't like dealing with the Abby Normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
      Maybe the normal don't like dealing with the Abby Normal.
      So the normal just stay away ?

Comment

• Billinfla
        Billinfla commented
        Editing a comment
        The new wears off and people go about living a real life outside a computer. I use it while drinking coffee, if I'm relaxing in the evening, or taking a break in the AC. I only go on 2 forums..this and Ole's BoB. They're bubble gum for the mind.

I'm not on facebook or social media...nothing on there of interest. No banking, VERY little purchasing, some solitaire.

I think Facebook has taken over most forums, there is no mods, people just drop in, log off, even private Facebook sites are over run with loonies. Lots of members just come and go, that's pretty normal, but almost all "niche" forums are slowly fizzling out.

Comment

Yup, fb, instacrap and other things like Twitter have taken over, they are the Wal-Mart sams club and HD of the chat world.
        This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
        You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

If facebook ,twitter etc. would have been around earlier they ( forums ) would have never grown as big to begin with. They probably are the main reason for forum decline.

Comment

You must not have gotten the memo....
            The Hobby Forum folks are now meeting at Hobby Lobby.

Comment

My main forum is BOB, it's my version of social media and I make no apologies!

God bless America

BWP

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	68462696-8DF5-47C6-BE1B-0C1A47C782B0.png
Views:	174
Size:	9.44 MB
ID:	166836 I remember when forum was a thing.

​​​​​​​
              2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

• jmike
                jmike commented
                Editing a comment
                And of course who could ever forget the Penthouse forum... all the men were hung and all the women were models, at least in their own minds

• Parker Yacht
                Parker Yacht commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea, like you where really reading it for the articles.
                Oh wait, maybe that was Palyboy.

• DaleH
                DaleH commented
                Editing a comment
                Dayum ...I tried like hell my entire mispent youth to 'live the life' to finally experience ...and write a blurb for the Penthouse Forum ... and I'd been lucky to even write to Dear Abby for advice as to why my sexploits didn't work out ...

Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
              You must not have gotten the memo....
              The Hobby Forum folks are now meeting at Hobby Lobby.
              Other than the boating hobby it's been about 8 years since I've been on one . I do follow though and occasionally talk to someone I've gotten to know from them.
              The lesser amount of traffic the harder it is for most people to fit in. In many cases it has gotten to be like the redneck regulars in the bar that I talked about earlier.
              A few observations -

Stuff doesn't get buried and something against the norm is a big deal .
              Stuff has a bigger overall effect on the forum as the forum is smaller.
              A person has to be more careful what they say and how they say it unless they are a long time member, whereas they'll usually get a pass.
              Some long time members don't realize or care about the negative effect they have on a forum.

I've been paying close attention to one the last couple of months and it's quite comical . It's nothing in comparison to what it was like when I was on there so I don't wish I were there now. It's somewhat entertaining to view and can be somewhat entertaining on a short visit . Just watching from the bleachers.

Comment

I think the majority of forums are not on Facebook or even Reddit. I remember in the later 90s when Yahoo Groups was where to go. I think that is where I found TOS around 2004. Now it seems forums may be slowly dieing. I like how BOB has remained growing. I am guilty of using FB groups as well. I prefer the Mako FB groups over classic mako's website.

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
                  I think the majority of forums are not on Facebook or even Reddit. I remember in the later 90s when Yahoo Groups was where to go. I think that is where I found TOS around 2004. Now it seems forums may be slowly dieing. I like how BOB has remained growing. I am guilty of using FB groups as well. I prefer the Mako FB groups over classic mako's website.
                  I think it was fairly easy to build a forum prior to Facebook ,youtube etc. There just wasn't any competition from the outside. I remember when searching the web for info to fix an appliance or vehicle the info would be found on a forum . That's how I became familiar with them.

Comment

The problem with most forums, is the simple fact that people, who have absolutely nothing better to do than cause strife, ruin them. Just because they can. They get a kick out of it.

They are easy to spot. Just look at their post history. They make a few “normal” post, here and there, but they have the “gotcha” posts everywhere. The “let me see if I can push some buttons today” post.

These types are trolls, and they RUIN forums with their constant childish ankle biting, and jabs.
                    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post
                    The problem with most forums, is the simple fact that people, who have absolutely nothing better to do than cause strife, ruin them. Just because they can. They get a kick out of it.

They are easy to spot. Just look at their post history. They make a few “normal” post, here and there, but they have the “gotcha” posts everywhere. The “let me see if I can push some buttons today” post.

These types are trolls, and they RUIN forums with their constant childish ankle biting, and jabs.
                    Well, it depends on where they are posting on the forum. They can probably ruin a sub-forum that is part of the main purpose of the forum . But that is a moderation problem when that occurs. The bigger money forums got to be big by allowing people to bring a little drama to the place. TOS is trying to get some back and you can see that by fairly recent comments made by authority in ...................yes, the off topic section. You didn't see them do anything to try to get more content in the boating sections.

Regardless of the forum it is the off-topic sections that are most important in regards to membership and revenue. You won't find a forum that has grown or continues to hold many members, that doesn't rely on off-topic . Of course, everyone may have their own definition of what a troll is,but I don't think what members do, in regards to trolling ,is as much to blame as what members don't do in regards to keeping the new member interested.

On the big forums I'm seeing a small group trying to make people post how they wish them to or they gang up on them . Those members bring more drama and screw up more sh!t than what they consider a troll to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post

Well, it depends on where they are posting on the forum. They can probably ruin a sub-forum that is part of the main purpose of the forum . But that is a moderation problem when that occurs. The bigger money forums got to be big by allowing people to bring a little drama to the place. TOS is trying to get some back and you can see that by fairly recent comments made by authority in ...................yes, the off topic section. You didn't see them do anything to try to get more content in the boating sections.

Regardless of the forum it is the off-topic sections that are most important in regards to membership and revenue. You won't find a forum that has grown or continues to hold many members, that doesn't rely on off-topic . Of course, everyone may have their own definition of what a troll is,but I don't think what members do, in regards to trolling ,is as much to blame as what members don't do in regards to keeping the new member interested.

On the big forums I'm seeing a small group trying to make people post how they wish them to or they gang up on them . Those members bring more drama and screw up more sh!t than what they consider a troll to be.
                      I agree with some of that. I remember a time specifically, on THT, when I was asking for some help with something and everyone (Mike Carrigan, Andy among them) were great. They offered suggestions, even help.. Then, the ankle biters showed up. Comments like; "You may want to stick to the plastic boats in your bathtub", "Man, maybe boating isn't for you".. And so on.. I remember writing that everyone starts somewhere (I wasn't a newbie), and if they didn't want to help, why comment? Answer? Because we can.. Stuff like that. They just loved to jump on people and make things worse. A whole crowd of them..

It's why I left THT.
                      As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                      2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                      2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                      Mobile, Al.
                      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Working...
                      X