Internet trolling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Mako runner View Post
    So is trolling or pot stirring a good or bad thing? I guess different people will have different opinions on that. And that's OK with me... Charlie
    I enjoy a good discussion between people with different opinions. I learn sometimes, other times I teach. Good either way.

    But when someone with an axe to grind gets the bit in their teeth, i check out. Take a Midol, ffs.

    Comment


    • #17
      I like to discuss/argue to learn and challenge myself, and to challenge others and hope they will learn something as well.

      A few will provide a decent back and forth...

      Many just get angry and can only accept their own point of view - they are right, everyone that thinks like them are right, everyone else is wrong. There is no in-between - black and white, we are right, you are wrong.

      Some can't take any opposing view points and take it to the next level. Personal attacks, threats...

      Then you have trolls - trolling for humor or fun, that can be entertaining. Trolling to be nasty, cause issues, to disrupt... I have no time for that.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Jughed View Post
        I like to discuss/argue to learn and challenge myself, and to challenge others and hope they will learn something as well.

        A few will provide a decent back and forth...

        Many just get angry and can only accept their own point of view - they are right, everyone that thinks like them are right, everyone else is wrong. There is no in-between - black and white, we are right, you are wrong.

        Some can't take any opposing view points and take it to the next level. Personal attacks, threats...

        Then you have trolls - trolling for humor or fun, that can be entertaining. Trolling to be nasty, cause issues, to disrupt... I have no time for that.
        Good post and may I add-

        Expressing a view that someone here is the cause of this salad being distasteful may only encourage someone else to also express their feeling of superiority. Personal attacks ,threats of violence won't alter the taste of the salad for long if they are addressed . I'm surprised more members don't jump on the opportunity to confront those doing those things , but maybe they feel it's being addressed .

        Comment


        • Jughed
          Jughed commented
          Editing a comment
          Like some of the other folks here have stated - I just don't see it here...

      • #19
        As with all things in life, moderation is the key.
        Each one of us has different triggers and limits.
        Some folks understand that and let it go, others do not.
        Some, .
        Each and everyone one of us have different life challenges and that can affect our interaction with other people.
        We come here to chat, discuss boats occasionally, and other stuff. But, let's remember it is supposed to be enjoyable, and pushing one to their limits takes away that enjoyment, even if it is to prove a point.
        Lettuce all just get along, be respectful, tolerant and patient with each other.

        Comment


        • V_Thirteen
          V_Thirteen commented
          Editing a comment
          Saw what you did there.

          I overlook some things a little, and some a lot, but as for BoB, well, I overlook this crew tons. ;-)

      • #20
        Everyone has an opinion one way or another and at times those with opposing opinions will debate or argue with each other. Sometimes it is a good debate with each side stating their case and citing the reasons for their stand on their position. Without getting angry and resorting to name calling or worse. But it is seems some people are not capable of having a civil debate without getting angry and misbehaving. That is unfortunate. We have had people like that here. But it seems that once they realize that they are not getting any traction with their positions and are basically just making a fool of themselves they go away never to be heard from again. It's happened in the past and most likely will happen again... Charlie
        Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

        Comment


        • #21
          Originally posted by Mako runner View Post
          Everyone has an opinion one way or another and at times those with opposing opinions will debate or argue with each other. Sometimes it is a good debate with each side stating their case and citing the reasons for their stand on their position. Without getting angry and resorting to name calling or worse. But it is seems some people are not capable of having a civil debate without getting angry and misbehaving. That is unfortunate. We have had people like that here. But it seems that once they realize that they are not getting any traction with their positions and are basically just making a fool of themselves they go away never to be heard from again. It's happened in the past and most likely will happen again... Charlie
          So true.. My old grandpa had a saying; "Son, opinions are like ***holes.. They all stink... But mine..." LOL..
          As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
          2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
          2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
          Mobile, Al.
          Dauphin Island, Al.

          Comment


          • #22
            Originally posted by KMac View Post

            So true.. My old grandpa had a saying; "Son, opinions are like ***holes.. They all stink... But mine..." LOL..
            Yes and I'm pretty sure most of us have heard that old saying in some form or another. And the thing about old sayings is that they are for the most part based on truth. Yes we all have opinions and at times we think others opinions stink. Now you can ignore differing opinions or you can express your own opinion and be prepared to defend it. On a forum like this others may agree or disagree with you. Those who respond with reasons they disagree with you might actually make you rethink your position and possibly change your mind or the minds of others reading the posts. Of course some will respond with name calling, threats, or ill wishes. To me that is a pretty sure sign they cannot defend their position or just don't have the temperament to be able to participate in a debate. In any case they lost the debate to my way of thinking at least. I don't really get angry with them but I certainly don't have much respect for them... Charlie
            Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

            Comment


            • #23
              Originally posted by Mako runner View Post

              Yes and I'm pretty sure most of us have heard that old saying in some form or another. And the thing about old sayings is that they are for the most part based on truth. Yes we all have opinions and at times we think others opinions stink. Now you can ignore differing opinions or you can express your own opinion and be prepared to defend it. On a forum like this others may agree or disagree with you. Those who respond with reasons they disagree with you might actually make you rethink your position and possibly change your mind or the minds of others reading the posts. Of course some will respond with name calling, threats, or ill wishes. To me that is a pretty sure sign they cannot defend their position or just don't have the temperament to be able to participate in a debate. In any case they lost the debate to my way of thinking at least. I don't really get angry with them but I certainly don't have much respect for them... Charlie
              I love a good debate, but only when they are based in/on reality. I am not much for "emotional exchanges".. When people start responding/debating out of emotion, it is very rarely rooted in logic or fact..
              As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
              2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
              2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
              Mobile, Al.
              Dauphin Island, Al.

              Comment


              • #24
                Originally posted by Mod 3 View Post
                As with all things in life, moderation is the key.
                Each one of us has different triggers and limits.
                Some folks understand that and let it go, others do not.
                Some, .
                Each and everyone one of us have different life challenges and that can affect our interaction with other people.
                We come here to chat, discuss boats occasionally, and other stuff. But, let's remember it is supposed to be enjoyable, and pushing one to their limits takes away that enjoyment, even if it is to prove a point.
                Lettuce all just get along, be respectful, tolerant and patient with each other.
                Respectively , I want to touch on a few points just to let you know where I'm coming from. I understand everyone has different triggers and limits. You say some folks understand that and let it go. I can see letting it go in a situation where someone quit commenting in a conversation and the other party would push them to continue . They should let it go. I'm probably guilty of not letting something go, but I don't think I would try to trigger someone or push them to their limits, even though I understand people have different triggers and limits. .

                In a back and forth conversation both parties may be pushing their points, but I haven't seen anyone trying to trigger anyone, in the sense of trying to make them do something irrational. I understand and agree with what you are saying but just want to clarify I wouldn't intentionally try to make someone do something irrational.

                Another point I want to make is that I haven't had any previous communication with someone that recently came on a thread and did what he did. There is no way I could have triggered him or pushed him to his limits. I wish him no harm and won't judge him as being triggered or pushed to his limits and I don't think you are judging him either.

                Comment


                • #25
                  Originally posted by KMac View Post

                  I love a good debate, but only when they are based in/on reality. I am not much for "emotional exchanges".. When people start responding/debating out of emotion, it is very rarely rooted in logic or fact..
                  I don't think we are going to to see good debates as we have seen in the past. People get easily upset and would have to be catered to to keep the peace .

                  Comment


                  • #26
                    Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post

                    I don't think we are going to to see good debates as we have seen in the past. People get easily upset and would have to be catered to to keep the peace .
                    Some say they like a good debate, when in all truthfulness, they want to argue about a topic. Some of the more "woke" crowd look for a confrontation. I am as easy going as they come, and can normally find the words to politely express my opinion on something, and I have had a few incidences where no matter how toned down my response is, it is an instant argument. Why? Because my opinion is different. I have facts and logic on my side. That is just too much for them and the argument ensues.
                    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

                    Comment


                    • #27
                      Originally posted by KMac View Post

                      Some say they like a good debate, when in all truthfulness, they want to argue about a topic. Some of the more "woke" crowd look for a confrontation. I am as easy going as they come, and can normally find the words to politely express my opinion on something, and I have had a few incidences where no matter how toned down my response is, it is an instant argument. Why? Because my opinion is different. I have facts and logic on my side. That is just too much for them and the argument ensues.
                      There has been a shift here towards keeping the peace at the expense of good debate. The recent thread closures and content on them will show that . There is nothing on them ,other than by one individual ,that would have caused them to be closed in the past. So times are different and I'm just saying it is what it is and am not faulting anyone for not wanting to babysit to keep the peace.

                      If the priority was to keep good debate going , the person could have been publicly scolded and banned and the threads could continue. I was rightfully banned for much less of an an fraction.
                      The threads may not be seen as peaceful by some and in the past it was up to the individual to choose to participate or not. That choice will be eliminated by closing threads to keep an overall peace on the forum.

                      Comment


                      • #28
                        Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post

                        Respectively , I want to touch on a few points just to let you know where I'm coming from. I understand everyone has different triggers and limits. You say some folks understand that and let it go. I can see letting it go in a situation where someone quit commenting in a conversation and the other party would push them to continue . They should let it go. I'm probably guilty of not letting something go, but I don't think I would try to trigger someone or push them to their limits, even though I understand people have different triggers and limits. .

                        In a back and forth conversation both parties may be pushing their points, but I haven't seen anyone trying to trigger anyone, in the sense of trying to make them do something irrational. I understand and agree with what you are saying but just want to clarify I wouldn't intentionally try to make someone do something irrational.

                        Another point I want to make is that I haven't had any previous communication with someone that recently came on a thread and did what he did. There is no way I could have triggered him or pushed him to his limits. I wish him no harm and won't judge him as being triggered or pushed to his.limits and I don't think you are judging him either.
                        I don't know much about triggers or pushing to the limit. But I will admit that I have baited or egged on others. In fact there were some people I could almost play like a fiddle. They were so predictable that I knew their response would be to name call me or otherwise make a fool of themselves. And let's be honest I wasn't the only one who did it. Not naming names but like I say let's be honest... Charlie
                        Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

                        Comment


                        • fijon
                          fijon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          triggers are excellent fresh or frozen. Where I am they are a way's out in about 70' feet. check post 80, 24 and 37,10,2 and 103 for cooking rigging and cooking tips.

                          unlike Epstein, kemp ate the metal.

                      • #29
                        Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post

                        There has been a shift here towards keeping the peace at the expense of good debate. The recent thread closures and content on them will show that . There is nothing on them ,other than by one individual ,that would have caused them to be closed in the past. So times are different and I'm just saying it is what it is and am not faulting anyone for not wanting to babysit to keep the peace.

                        If the priority was to keep good debate going , the person could have been publicly scolded and banned and the threads could continue. I was rightfully banned for much less of an an fraction.
                        The threads may not be seen as peaceful by some and in the past it was up to the individual to choose to participate or not. That choice will be eliminated by closing threads to keep an overall peace on the forum.
                        In the end, it's a boating site, one to talk about boats, issues and such with boats, the sub forums are an avenue to discuss other issues and really shouldn't detract from the main purpose of the site.
                        Peace was kept for years, with some ebb and flow of members who decided they did not like participating.
                        If one is posting strictly to look for a debate, then perhaps they should look for another site.
                        The Member in question has requested that his membership be canceled and his post removed.
                        I did not go back and read who said what to who, or who did it first.
                        Calling someone out publicly is not something I would do as that would cause, another debate, and I have neither the time nor desire to do so.
                        I did at some point in time awhile back reach out to a Member via PM concerning an issue and got no response, so, I banned them.
                        I think the summertime heat is getting to folks and they are staying indoors with time on their hands (Computers).
                        Just a thought, one persons debate is another persons argument. So, for the sake of rocking the boat, let's keep the peace and go boating.
                        Please.

                        Comment


                        • bluewaterposer
                          bluewaterposer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I like notes, DUH! Even with a Mercury, LOL.

                      • #30
                        We can talk about fruit, instead of salads.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	163827
                        Engine Sales and Service
                        Ph +1 954.463.1515
                        Fx +1
                        954.463.4904
                        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

                        [email protected]
                        www.parkeryacht.com

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X