Canada 'extremely disappointed' with U.S. decision to raise softwood lumber duty rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada 'extremely disappointed' with U.S. decision to raise softwood lumber duty rate

(Reuters) -The United States has decided to almost double the duties on Canadian softwood lumber from most producers to 17.9%, Canadian Trade Minister Mary Ng said on Wednesday, adding that Canada is "extremely disappointed." Ng said that the U.S. Department of Commerce on Wednesday issued the final results of the second administrative reviews of its anti-dumping and countervailing duty orders regarding certain softwood lumber products from Canada. “Canada is extremely disappointed that the United States has decided to increase the unfair duties it is imposing on Canadian softwood lumber from most producers to 17.9%," Ng said in a statement.

My heart hurts bad for them. Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

Comment

• LFBB
      LFBB commented
      Editing a comment
      Lmao!

Don't dump into the market and they won't put a large tarrif on your products.

Comment

Are you saying this administration did something good for us?

Comment

This has been an issue for years. The tariff is a bit extreme though, like everything else Brandon is doing.
        2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

Lumber prices... wow. I just bought 23 linear feet of clear, flatsawn 1x8 Doug Fir for $103. It is perfect, not even a tiny knot but damn.

Comment

I think softwood goes into paper products - like toilet paper.

Comment

didnt the US trash trump when he did this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Mucky View Post
                didnt the US trash trump when he did this?
                Orange man bad!...do bad things....put US first.... Brandon will save us!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CNC Boater View Post
                  I think softwood goes into paper products - like toilet paper.
                  A large part of framing is whitewood. Yellow Pine (SYP) is common for trusses, structural lumber, and especially treated lumber. Paper doesn't care what it is made from.

Comment

I'm at an impasse, both Biteme and Canada suck so I'll let them figure it out. My bet is they will both just use this as an excuse to raise tariffs, taxes, duties etc. "The US did this, so we're doing that, Canada did that so we're going to do this!". and so it goes.

Get ready to pay more either way.
                    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

I bought some really nice whitewood 2x4 last year. From Austria. Austria!!

Comment

• LFBB
                        LFBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Classy, the imported stuff!

• Billinfla
                        Billinfla commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LOL. Same price as other SPF lumber.

How the hell can they cut it, mill it, float it down the Rhine and across the ocean for that price???
                    Working...
                    X