Knots for terminal tackle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knots for terminal tackle?

I was sitting in front of the tv the other night with the wife and tying up some snapper leaders, and I decided for some reason to snell some. I’ve only used a snell knot a hand full of times in my life, so I had to look up how to tie it. So, I made up half a dozen leaders with about 24 inches of 60# flouro and snelled on my 6/0 circle hooks. Up to about 80# mono, I normally only use a improved clinch or palomar, but the snell seems like it might help with hook ups. Anyway this got me wondering what knots others used for 50-80# mono of fluorocarbon?

Snell, Uni and loop knots are the only ones I use for circles in that size fluro and mono crimps from 80 up although we snell our big marlin pitchbaits in 150 to 200 fluro

Comment

At the hook for snapper we use the palomar because there’s soooo many they’ll chase a bait up to the boat.
      Scamp, grouper we usually snell or uni, mostly uni

I’m pretty much a Palomar, Uni, Albright w/ a little modification guy.
      Don't think I’ve fished enough in last year to even remember those!!
      Lots of guys use Clinch Knot at hook and rigging, personally I’m not a fan. I think the improved clinch knot must be better.

We had a guy last year lose a good one because of poor clinch knot.
      About two minutes later we caught the same fish with a brand new shiny hook in his mouth.
      ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
      ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Merc V8’s on order
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

This is a good video on the advantages and disadvantages of the snell and how to tie it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYIJ6knA13A

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
          Lots of guys use Clinch Knot at hook and rigging, personally I’m not a fan. I think the improved clinch knot must be better.

We had a guy last year lose a good one because of poor clinch knot.
          About two minutes later we caught the same fish with a brand new shiny hook in his mouth.
          My previous mate used to use the clinch knot and I used to cut it off everytime I saw one and leave the hook hanging on a harness lug. it took him about 3 months before he realised what was happening and changed knots
          Last edited by MikeO; 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X