X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cpflaum
    Decky
    • Jan 2015

Choosing a Drift Sock

I am a newbie at offshore but am learning at a good clip. One of the gizmos that I think that I need is a drift sock. Any suggestions regarding size, type, accessories, etc? The boat is a 32' Sailfish DC.
  • Capt_Kurt
    Probie
    • Oct 2016

The sailboters have the best - Fiorentino (sp?). Para-Tech was the 1st to market to fisherman, but when I compared the 2 I liked the Fiorentino best. The 9 footer would be good for a 32'.

Comment

• cpflaum
      Decky
      • Jan 2015

It's expensive.

Comment

• Pstephens46
        Senior Swabby
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by cpflaum
        It's expensive.
        Cmon man......don’t get tight now!

Comment

• the other tom
          Swabby
          • Dec 2014

Kurt writes the truth, I have a ParaTech that I use almost 100%, but also have had cheaper alternatives in the past. BassPro sells some yellow plastic socks that are cheap, break down in U/V, and will generally last 10 trips or less. Not recommended. There is a guy on TOS (Classic25) that sold me a really nice drift sock for about $100 that I still have (10 years ago or so), and will use as a backup or on friends' boats that don't have a sock yet. Nicely stitched with good thread, float sewn into the top of the sock, and good quality straps. It comes sort of rigged, but you need to add weight (larger shackles) to the connection point to insure it sinks and "grabs" water. Point being, if you don't want to spend the $$ on the Bentley, get the Camry....don't even think about the Yugo.

Comment

• Parker Yacht
            Senior Swabby

• Nov 2014

Originally posted by Capt_Kurt
            The sailYboters have the best - Fiorentino (sp?). Para-Tech was the 1st to market to fisherman, but when I compared the 2 I liked the Fiorentino best. The 9 footer would be good for a 32'.
            FIFY. :-)

What sock do I need for me Bote?
            Where do I buy?
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1
            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• MikeO
              Senior Swabby
              • Feb 2015

I always go for the next size up than is reccomended for your boat

Comment

Working...