Ice in Live Well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice in Live Well

I buy a lot of food online and it comes packed in plastic pouches of "ice". I put these in heavier plastic bags, vacuum seal, freeze and use them with some real ice in my fish box. They keep the ice solid for a day or two. In the summer, we have high bait mortality because of the warm water in our live wells, even with recirculation. I am wondering if I should put a few of these ice bags in my livewell to keep the water cool. Is this a good idea?

Sounds like a good idea, just wonder how long they will last in fresh circulating warm water.

Comment

I am betting you will need a bunch with that 85 degree water down in FL. Some of those fancy bait fish are expensive. Might be worth a try.

Is there any danger in taking a bait from a well that might be 79 degrees and tossing him into 85 degree water? Don't know....

Comment

We used to do that with our bass in tournaments in the summer. but you can't put too much ice in at once or they will be shocked. Now, they just dont have tournaments in the summer. My lake and bay actually had three overflow wells and I could put the ice in the first one and the fish in the third one. By the time outside water got to the fish, it was tempered enough that they werent shocked.

Comment

Keeping the temperature right is important another thing to think about is oxygen...Charlie

Comment

Feed the bait.
            Barefoot Boats
            contact@barefoot-boats.com
            (386)256-6977

Comment

Working...
            X