First Trip on New Boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Trip on New Boat

So, I gathered up my wife and some neighbors for the first fishing trip on the new boat (Sailfish 325dc with twin Etec 300s). Being old and lazy, we left the dock at about 9 am. The harbor had pea soup thick fog, vis about 25'. Thanks to radar, GPS, and autopilot, we made it out safely - the fog broke about Boca Grande as we entered the Gulf. We did have a "where is that guy moment" when we were approaching a target, it was a couple of guys out on a tiny boat; they did not have their light on either. IMO, only an idiot would have been out in that fog without radar.

We ran 40 miles offshore, stopping at a couple of bait spots. Caught 5 grouper (reds), 4 slot-size.

On the way back, we encountered sea fog, vis 0, for about 20 miles. Radar was a blessing.

Pretty decent maiden voyage and a baptism of fire (fog) for the skipper.
    Last edited by cpflaum; 01-13-2018, 09:41 PM.

Awesome!
    Enjoy the new ride, have fun and be safe!
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Great, blood on the new boat and some stank for the grease !

Comment

How was the ride? Congratulations! Fuel, how was the burn?
        BWP

Comment

Nice!!!!
          Glad y'all had a good trip!!
          I like grouper too!!
          '12 Blackwood - 300 Verado's
          '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
          '18 Fountain 38 - 350 Verado's

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
            How was the ride? Congratulations! Fuel, how was the burn?
            BWP
            The ride was very good. Most of the time, we had 1 -1.5' chop and we didn't notice it (pretty much skipped over it). For a little while offshore, it was 2' plus and I didn't cotton to that much but it was tolerable. Cruising at 40 - 41 mph, I was getting between 1.5 and 1.6 mpg. At 35, I got 1.7 mpg, a range of 510 miles (no reserve). There are a few electronics glitches but nothing major, I hope.

Comment

Congrats. No pics or videos? G2 at WOT?

Comment

Originally posted by cpflaum View Post

The ride was very good. Most of the time, we had 1 -1.5' chop and we didn't notice it (pretty much skipped over it). For a little while offshore, it was 2' plus and I didn't cotton to that much but it was tolerable. Cruising at 40 - 41 mph, I was getting between 1.5 and 1.6 mpg. At 35, I got 1.7 mpg, a range of 510 miles (no reserve). There are a few electronics glitches but nothing major, I hope.
                Great range!!
                I'm with you.....at 2'+ GOM chop in a 32' boat, ain't no hauling a$$ for me much anymore in that size either unless running from a storm.
                Now you get up to 38'-39' boat the complexion changes some and not uncomfortable.
                In the low freeboard 27' Blackwood you're a wet puppy unless outrunning spray......then you're beat to death!!! But it's an easy-easy boat to solo fish out of, so I can drop it at a moments notice and head South.
                Pls post up some pics!!! Would like to see a vid of the docking system too if you can
                '12 Blackwood - 300 Verado's
                '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
                '18 Fountain 38 - 350 Verado's

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post
                  Congrats. No pics or videos? G2 at WOT?
                  WOT about 55. I'll put up pics eventually. Right now, she is on the lift and we have a lousy week of weather ahead of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Great range!!
                    I'm with you.....at 2'+ GOM chop in a 32' boat, ain't no hauling a$$ for me much anymore in that size either unless running from a storm.
                    Now you get up to 38'-39' boat the complexion changes some and not uncomfortable.
                    In the low freeboard 27' Blackwood you're a wet puppy unless outrunning spray......then you're beat to death!!! But it's an easy-easy boat to solo fish out of, so I can drop it at a moments notice and head South.
                    Pls post up some pics!!! Would like to see a vid of the docking system too if you can
                    We were bone dry even in the 2+. The gunnel height is 32", I think. I'll have to save my pennies for a bigger boat or a cat. No pics or video yet. I will post eventually.

Comment

Sounds great.

Comment

I'm guessing it looks pretty sitting on the lift.
                        Soon, you will use it as intended. Nice!.
                        BWP

Comment

: Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0246.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	41021Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_part0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.4 KB ID:	41022Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0249.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.1 KB ID:	41023

Some pictures of the fish that we caught. You can tell who the angler in the family is. I took the pics since I can't take any credit for the catch. These were two different days, first one was 40 miles offshore and the second on a reef in the harbor. I guess that this boat can catch fish if the anglers know what they are doing.

Comment

That "reef in the harbor" always produces. It is always bypassed by those who NEED to be in the Gulf.

Comment

Dinner time!

Comment

Working...
                              X