Best Time of Year to Catch Mahi in South Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Time of Year to Catch Mahi in South Florida?

Going fishing out of Pompano Beach when we come down for the Miami boat show in mid February and wanted too see if that is a good time of the year to catch Mahi? If not, when is the best time of year to catch Mahi?

We caught several sailfish last year and a tuna, cobia and some kings the year before. We also caught a blue marlin while in the Dominican this spring so I guess the Mahi is next!

Mahi are typically better in the spring for big ones, and summer for schoolies, although this year was nothing to write home about, at least in the Palm Beach area.

Comment

Thanks Manitunc! What would you expect to catch off of Pompano Beach in mid February?

Comment

Originally posted by Cregeis View Post
        Thanks Manitunc! What would you expect to catch off of Pompano Beach in mid February?
        A cold------.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Cregeis View Post
          Although I think Mr. Parker may be on to something, it's also still sailfish season. And occasional king mackerel and wahoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailfish 218 View Post

Although I think Mr. Parker may be on to something, it's also still sailfish season. And occasional king mackerel and wahoo.
            We will take some more sailfish, had a great year last year and caught several! That Mahi fish is just eluding us!

Comment

Just be aware that February weather in general sux. So unless you're going out on a 40+ footer, you may only get a half dozen decent days offshore.

Comment

Sailfish (approx 140') or keep it simple and use small planers and catch Kingfish (approx 60') or smaller planers and catch mackeral (approx 25') or I like Vermillion in February around 190'

Comment

Go up to Peck's Lake and catch a gazillion spanish mackeral about 200 yards off shore.

Comment

• Sailfish 218
                    Sailfish 218 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SSSSHH! Don't give away the secret. It's already too crowded up there.

Sailfish,
                  tell me about it. god help you if you get in the way of a commercial fisherman throwing his nets. Why they congregate there in such numbers is beyond me, but if I was a big fish, that's where I would go for lunch.

Comment

Yeah, I got severely bitched at last year by some commercial boat prick that thought he owned the ocean. Didn't like me trolling past him while he was throwing out chum anchored.

I've heard you can often catch kingfish trolling on the deeper side of the reef but I personally would rather have 10 Spanish than 10 kingfish.

Comment

Guess that is where our spanish head to in the winter. I didn't realize that people would buy them commercially. Fish markets?

Selling something I guess is better than selling nothing. I like them smoked on the grill when fresh. Most people around here are so spoiled with the trout and reds, etc. They consider the spanish too oily.

Comment

Maybe it's the cold weather and water or something else but I find Spanish mack's very tasty. I even froze some last year and tried them about a month later and they still tasted fine. I think it maybe keeping them on ice and cleaning and refrigerating them quickly. But I've always been surprised how many people say "Yuck, mackerel". But then again, I like fresh kingfish on the grill also. Just would never freeze it.

Comment

smoked mine last year and made the best fish dip I've ever tried. But I dont care for kingfish, so I doubt I'd like mackerel either. definitely not frozen. and thats the problem, you can catch dozens if you wanted to, but what do you do with them. I hate killing a fish for nothing and sometimes they are so deeply hooked you know they arent going to make a release.

Comment

Working...
                          X